Michael Conforto: His POV and the Wait

SouthSideGeorgia

I started this topic as I thought it was interesting to watch Boras and Conforto in free agency. 

* Declined a rumored $100-$120 million extension with Mets before the 2021 season. 
* Had a poor performance 2021. 
* Declined a Qualifying Offer of one year at $18.4 million. 
* Now has a Draft Pick assigned to him if he is signed as a Free agent thru July 17 (Draft). Would be about a 3rd rounder to Mets. 

At this point, it seems like the waiting game may be a pride issue. Seems like a one-year contract may be his best PROVE IT move. But halfway through Spring Training now, and he might not even see $18.4 million offered for the 2022 season. Conforto made $12.25 million last year for Mets. 

Conforto Dilemma

Also, I’m not only posted it because of his link to the White Sox all season long. It’s almost like he’s the last player live at The Draft and we’re watching him plummet down the boards. I can’t stop watching this play out…

If he doesn’t get a one-year prove it deal, it could be a Boras Correa-type deal. Something like years that could be opted out after each season. 

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Also, I’m not only posted it because of his link to the White Sox all season long. It’s almost like he’s the last player live at The Draft and we’re watching him plummet down the boards. I can’t stop watching this play out…

If he doesn’t get a one-year prove it deal, it could be a Boras Correa-type deal. Something like years that could be opted out after each season. 

He clearly lacks the leverage Correa and Boras took into contract talks with Minnesota.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He clearly lacks the leverage Correa and Boras took into contract talks with Minnesota.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. Conforto doesn’t demand the financial value of Correa. Just the structure of Correa’s deal was VERY unusual from what I think most expected (3 years with opt outs). 

• Like 1

At this point I think the likeliest scenario is that he’s a Kimbrel/Keuchel style holdout, where he sits out until the QO expires unless a contender has an injury and comes calling. That timeline puts him right before the trade deadline as an option costing no prospects.

We are what, 11 or 12 days from opening day? How many teams are willing to dramatically change up their lineup right now, if they even have money left to spend?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think if he is not vaxxed that could be causing the hold up. Story wasn't vaxxed either. He just got it. 

Could also be general lack of interest by teams to sign him at anywhere near his/Boras' asking price causing the holdup. We can speculate on the reasons but sometimes Occams razor is the best explanation.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

At this point I think the likeliest scenario is that he’s a Kimbrel/Keuchel style holdout, where he sits out until the QO expires unless a contender has an injury and comes calling. That timeline puts him right before the trade deadline as an option costing no prospects.

We are what, 11 or 12 days from opening day? How many teams are willing to dramatically change up their lineup right now, if they even have money left to spend?

The QO expires after the draft. The draft is on July 17th this year. That isn't going to work well.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think if he is not vaxxed that could be causing the hold up. Story wasn't vaxxed either. He just got it. 

This has definitely been an issue for multiple clubs. It's not even just about Toronto either. What if in a worst case scenario, restrictions come back in big cities and he's not allowed to play? Clubs are definitely taking it into consideration and some have ruled him out because of it. 

2 hours ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

I'm just not sure it makes sense for many teams. A big market contender isn't giving up a 2nd rounder, the pool space and $500K while also paying him $18 million plus this year and then letting him walk after the season. It could make sense for a small market contender that would only give up their 3rd round pick. I just don't know who that team is. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Man it's so long this year. That would be July 17th due to the draft being much later. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This has definitely been an issue for multiple clubs. It's not even just about Toronto either. What if in a worst case scenario, restrictions come back in big cities and he's not allowed to play? Clubs are definitely taking it into consideration and some have ruled him out because of it. 

I'm just not sure it makes sense for many teams. A big market contender isn't giving up a 2nd rounder, the pool space and $500K while also paying him $18 million plus this year and then letting him walk after the season. It could make sense for a small market contender that would only give up their 3rd round pick. I just don't know who that team is. 

Man it's so long this year. That would be July 17th due to the draft being much later. 

Is Chicago still interested?

FWIW--Don't know much about the author , but this guy thinks Boston could be a landing spot.  Posted after Story signing but maybe written before and might mean nothing. 

https://bosoxinjection.com/2022/03/20/red-sox-michael-conforto-solidify-outfield/

8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

FWIW--Don't know much about the author , but this guy thinks Boston could be a landing spot.  Posted after Story signing but maybe written before and might mean nothing. 

https://bosoxinjection.com/2022/03/20/red-sox-michael-conforto-solidify-outfield/

Article says 4 days ago so after it seems (Story agreement was Sunday right?). Jackie Bradley Jr should block no one.

Edit: they have also done the Scott Boras client 1-year pillow deal in the past (Adrian Beltre) so maybe this would be an option in Boston.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

12 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Article says 4 days ago so after it seems (Story agreement was Sunday right?). Jackie Bradley Jr should block no one.

Edit: they have also done the Scott Boras client 1-year pillow deal in the past (Adrian Beltre) so maybe this would be an option in Boston.

Boston is basically right at or slightly  over the tax line and they have been apparently stubborn about money this offseason for whatever reason. Furthermore, they just wouldn’t sign Storey without him being vaccinated so that’s clearly going to be an issue with Conforto as well.

He definitely fits their needs, they wouldn’t give up a second round pick for him, and I don’t think they’re that great on paper right now, but there’s some major issues here now. They might be an ideal place to grab him in July if their outfield is struggling.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Boston is basically right at or slightly  over the tax line and they have been apparently stubborn about money this offseason for whatever reason. Furthermore, they just wouldn’t sign Storey without him being vaccinated so that’s clearly going to be an issue with Conforto as well.

He definitely fits their needs, they wouldn’t give up a second round pick for him, and I don’t think they’re that great on paper right now, but there’s some major issues here now. They might be an ideal place to grab him in July if their outfield is struggling.

I still see Texas as biggest threat.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe it'll be different with hitters, but both Kimbrel and Keuchel struggled after they signed with teams in June to avoid the QO. If Conforto has to get a prove-it 1 year deal in mid July, it's probably not going to be good for his FA prospects in 2023. That makes me think he'll be looking for multiple years if he signs in July. 

Edited by chw42

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Maybe it'll be different with hitters, but both Kimbrel and Keuchel struggled after they signed with teams in June to avoid the QO. If Conforto has to get a prove-it 1 year deal in mid July, it's probably not going to be good for his FA prospects in 2023. That makes me think he'll be looking for multiple years if he signs in July. 

The draft was also a month earlier than it is now.

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The draft was also a month earlier than it is now.

I just find it really funny that we have both Keuchel and Kimbrel on this team now. Maybe it's a sign that we'll also sign Conforto in July. 

• Haha 1