Conforto hurt

gogosox1959

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There biggest gatherings during the entire pandemic were younger people parties. They are invincible,  in their minds.

If my mom weren't a nurse and my dad a very high-risk person, I probably would have been less careful for sure. It wasn't easy to spend that much time away from people at this age.

6 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

The offseason is starting to make a little more sense now.

If there was no Conforto to sign and/or the injury scared our front office, they in turn blew the jerry bucks on short term reliever deals as all of the short term starters flew off the market outside of Rodon. 

Injury or not, Conforto was never part of any plan for the Sox. 

Steve Stone confirmed this also. 

I don't know why we can't get over this already. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is all true.  However it obviously didn't matter to him as much if you believe the partying and going out stories about him. 

I'm not saying your ideas aren't true. I'm saying people that age just don't care as much about it as "it won't happen to them." At that age your invincible. 

We know better when we get older with experience. 

Since you asked what's the risk I figured I would tell you. I know all about how young people act because I was there too.

I know it's not fair to tell them to be smarter than we were but once you have a family it's time to grow up. Once you have people investing millions of dollars in your future it's time to walk a little straighter and narrower path. You're not just some blue collar Joe struggling through school to become a white collar Joe and make your way up the corporate ladder.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Since you asked what's the risk I figured I would tell you. I know all about how young people act because I was there too.

I know it's not fair to tell them to be smarter than we were but once you have a family it's time to grow up. Once you have people investing millions of dollars in your future it's time to walk a little straighter and narrower path. You're not just some blue collar Joe struggling through school to become a white collar Joe and make your way up the corporate ladder.

Again, I don't disagree. But getting them to listen is fighting a losing battle.

We are just old and don't know what we are talking about.

Edited by ptatc

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Sounds like a great shot at a 1yr deal with incentives and an option instead of 4 years and 100 million. 

No one wants to sign him for the 1 year deal and lose a draft pick.

This is probably what is holding everything up. He wants a 1 year prove it deal or a 5 year deal. Teams want a 2-3 deal because of the injury and poor performance last year but need a commitment worth the draft pick.

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Sounds like a great shot at a 1yr deal with incentives and an option instead of 4 years and 100 million. 

A long term deal spreads out the cost of the compensation.  History has shown clubs don't want to give it up for 1 year deals.

21 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Injury or not, Conforto was never part of any plan for the Sox. 

Steve Stone confirmed this also. 

I don't know why we can't get over this already. 

I cannot imagine being this confident about something I knew so little about.  

I've mentally moved on.  It sucks.  But I have.

Conforto really did fall into the Sox lap here.  I see almost no way he'd reject the rumored 4/$75M right now, with or without opt outs. But the Sox seem content to roll the dice on a laughably bad OF defense that is almost certain to lead to injuries.  All backed up by a 4th OF that can't stay health.  I have no doubt in my mind we'll see way too much of Leury and Haseley in RF, and probably a shitty journeyman OF or two of the likes of Goodwin/Hamilton when this plan ages poorly.  

Conforto isn't a perfect player. Its been discussed here a ton.  But he's still a great fit, but the Sox seem married to getting Gavin Sheets everyday at bats instead of letting him be the safety net. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Again, I don't disagree. But getting them to listen is fighting a losing battle.

We are just old and don't know what we are talking about.

It's like raising children , you can guide them, lecture them , warn them, stress the value of studying  and if you say it often enough and reward them for good grades and tell them you are proud of them, then making the right decisions becomes easier for them.

I don't think of it as a losing battle . I think of it as if you reach them on any level and it changes a bad decision into a good one it could be life changing. If you reach and change one life for the better it's a win. I can live with being thought of as old and not knowing what I am talking about.

I've got a young family man as a neighbor. He's lived a rough life but has made himself into something more but still he does things that I know that if he wants to really be better he shouldn't be doing. He told me the other day he thinks of me as his sponsor like an AA guy I guess. It's nice to know he thinks so highly of my fatherly nature towards him.

I still think the Mets signing him and trading for Kimbrel should be in play. He loses the draft pick stigma, and hell at this point with his value in the dumpster...sign him for 16 mil and it's an even swap. Conforto doesn't make his QO salary, but get's somewhat close and this year is his prove it deal...and Hahn makes up for his bad Kimbrel decision. Mets already over the tax so they strengthen their team. I know this is not a tactic the player's association and league will be happy about, but at this point it may be the only way for Conforto to get close to a fair market deal for THIS season. 

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I still think the Mets signing him and trading for Kimbrel should be in play. He loses the draft pick stigma, and hell at this point with his value in the dumpster...sign him for 16 mil and it's an even swap. Conforto doesn't make his QO salary, but get's somewhat close and this year is his prove it deal...and Hahn makes up for his bad Kimbrel decision. Mets already over the tax so they strengthen their team. I know this is not a tactic the player's association and league will be happy about, but at this point it may be the only way for Conforto to get close to a fair market deal for THIS season. 

There is a rule in place that prohibits this.  I don't think any signed player can be traded until June or July, cannot recall the specific date. 

10 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I don't know if MLB allows sign and trade, so this might be against their rules. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is a rule in place that prohibits this.  I don't think any signed player can be traded until June or July, cannot recall the specific date. 

I read that there potentially is a loophole if it's the current team or something like that. The rules seem very murky and like I said...MLBPA and MLB wont like it...but if he is getting 12-15 mil offers and Mets can offer more, it's worth exploring. 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This. You can't do sign and trades in baseball. Can't trade someone you just signed until like June like you said.

Also, as Jimmy said, the Mets want the draft pick.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

30 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Can teams do that in baseball? Sign them and trade them immediately?

Nevermind. Saw the later posts.

Edited by ptatc

31 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Nope.

I think they can. Note this explanation:
Teams “may not assign [a player’s] contract until after the next June 15” unless “the player gives written consent to such transaction,” according to the CBA. That language applies to qualifying offers, which means teams must keep and pay each player who accepts the offer until next summer at the earliest unless teams obtain permission for trades.

Conforto would clearly give consent. Like I said, it's a major grey area it seems, but worth exploring. 

• 4 weeks later...