If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

I think our best and most realistic offer would have to include Vaughn, since there are very few teams who would be able to offer a young and proven hitter like him. We would have to include pitching as well, and that would mean either Vera or Kopech. Add Colas and Montgomery (which I believe is way too much), and I would think our offer would be attractive. As others have already stated, the value of the prospects is strictly up to the Nats' scouting people. But I would think that Vaughn, Kopech, and either Colas or Montgomery would be actively considered by them and would be competitive with other offers. This would leave us hoping for Eloy to show he belongs in the bigs, for us to extend Abreu, and for us to find at least one starter.

14 hours ago, hi8is said:

Yes - what is indeed?

He's talking about a tweet that said what the Nats are looking for and it included taking Patrick Corbin off the Nats hands. But we all know what they want and what they get might be 2 entirely different animals. Nats would have to eat a significant portion of Corbins salary because he's signed through as many years as Soto is.

3 hours ago, bear_brian said:

I think our best and most realistic offer would have to include Vaughn, since there are very few teams who would be able to offer a young and proven hitter like him. We would have to include pitching as well, and that would mean either Vera or Kopech. Add Colas and Montgomery (which I believe is way too much), and I would think our offer would be attractive. As others have already stated, the value of the prospects is strictly up to the Nats' scouting people. But I would think that Vaughn, Kopech, and either Colas or Montgomery would be actively considered by them and would be competitive with other offers. This would leave us hoping for Eloy to show he belongs in the bigs, for us to extend Abreu, and for us to find at least one starter.

I’m not trading Vaughn & Kopech in the same trade for Soto.  Just way too steep of a price IMO, especially if you’re trying to compete over the next couple years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not trading Vaughn & Kopech in the same trade for Soto.  Just way too steep of a price IMO, especially if you’re trying to compete over the next couple years.

AGreed taking away our top young pitcher and 1 of our 2 best young hitters just negates the advantage of getting Soto and increases the payroll significantly  through what Soto will be getting in arbitration.

I don’t really see the point of trading Kopech.  I’d be willing to do Eloy, Vaughn, and a couple prospects though.  They apparently prefer MLB ready guys, so maybe that gives us a chance because our farm system sure doesn’t.  If you give up the capital that’s going to be required to trade for him though, I think you have to be serious about making a real run at an extension.  It’s a lot of money, but you’re also getting a franchise cornerstone for the next 10-15 years. 

On 7/22/2022 at 8:05 AM, bear_brian said:

The Sox will need Soto, and 150-200 million dollars coming back.

22 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

I don’t really see the point of trading Kopech.  I’d be willing to do Eloy, Vaughn, and a couple prospects though.  They apparently prefer MLB ready guys, so maybe that gives us a chance because our farm system sure doesn’t.  If you give up the capital that’s going to be required to trade for him though, I think you have to be serious about making a real run at an extension.  It’s a lot of money, but you’re also getting a franchise cornerstone for the next 10-15 years. 

They want 4-5 top prospects/players with low service time (think 5+ years of control).

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

GOAT insider Portillo’s confirms Sox’s involvement in Soto discussions:

Doesn’t sound like Washington is serious about moving him. The request probably includes Robert. Without him i I am sure AV, Montgomery, Cease/Kopech, Sosa, Mena/Vera and Colas all involved. Just isn’t worth it IMO unless they can do something like AV, Sosa, Mena/Vera and a lesser 4th price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Doesn’t sound like Washington is serious about moving him. The request probably includes Robert. Without him i I am sure AV, Montgomery, Cease/Kopech, Sosa, Mena/Vera and Colas all involved. Just isn’t worth it IMO unless they can do something like AV, Sosa, Mena/Vera and a lesser 4th price. 

I think they are serious about moving him but want to make sure they get the return they want for arguably the best hitter in baseball who is only 23 with still 2 more years of team control. Feel like if Robert is the main ask I’d do it, I trust Juan Soto’s development much much more than Robert’s 

2 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I think they are serious about moving him but want to make sure they get the return they want for arguably the best hitter in baseball who is only 23 with still 2 more years of team control. Feel like if Robert is the main ask I’d do it, I trust Juan Soto’s development much much more than Robert’s 

You’re nuts. I am not trading for 6.5 cost controlled seasons of Robert for 2.5 very expensive seasons from Soto.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

You’re nuts. I am not trading for 6.5 cost controlled seasons of Robert for 2.5 very expensive seasons from Soto.

I’d like to think its more of me wanting the better player who is 2 years younger and gives the Sox the best opportunity to win over the next 2 seasons. And I’d assume if it costs Robert the Sox are going to put all their chips in to lock him up long term. Doubt it happens still just saying I much prefer Soto 

20 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I’d like to think its more of me wanting the better player who is 2 years younger and gives the Sox the best opportunity to win over the next 2 seasons. And I’d assume if it costs Robert the Sox are going to put all their chips in to lock him up long term. Doubt it happens still just saying I much prefer Soto 

I guess they could move Robert for Soto. But two things have to happen. The package has to be very light besides Robert. And as you said, don't even think about it unless you're going to lock him up longterm. 

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

4 years of Vaughn + Ramos + J. Rodriguez + Mena + Jared Kelley for 2 years of Soto, who says no?  Who should say no?

I'd probably do it.  Don't think Wash will though.  They're going to want two big pieces at a minimum.  

22 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Robert is already locked up longer term.  And trading Robert for Soto just makes this already awful team defense significantly worse.  Soto is not a good defender. 

I'd take Soto over Robert all things being equal for the next 2.5 seasons as well.  But I'd prefer having Robert for 5.5 at his AAV than Soto for 2.5 for his AAV.  Thankfully, the Sox won't be trading Luis Robert.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fully agree.  I’d be willing to do Vaughn+++, but it can’t be Montgomery or Colas as the plusses (and I’d be hesitant to give up Vera).  That means something like Vaughn, Sosa or Popeye, Ramos or Kath, and some young arm (Mena, Thompson, Kelley, etc.).  Probably not enough for the Nationals, but Vaughn is as about as good of a centerpiece that I think someone would be willing to offer.

No way I would ever trade Robert. But I wish the Sox could find a way to make this deal. Face it. The team is going nowhere this year unless they do something dramatic to shake things up.  And unless they change the face of this rebuild, the team won't go anywhere next year, either.

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Robert is already locked up longer term.  And trading Robert for Soto just makes this already awful team defense significantly worse.  Soto is not a good defender. 

I'd take Soto over Robert all things being equal for the next 2.5 seasons as well.  But I'd prefer having Robert for 5.5 at his AAV than Soto for 2.5 for his AAV.  Thankfully, the Sox won't be trading Luis Robert.  

In regards to defense I think all of us would be ok with Adam Engel in CF if that means Juan Soto is the starting RF. 

13 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

In regards to defense I think all of us would be ok with Adam Engel in CF if that means Juan Soto is the starting RF. 

Not me. If the Sox offered Robert for Soto and just Robert,  the Nats would be all over that and the Sox once again would be the laughingstock of baseball. Anyway it's not going to happen even if Robert was healthy.

• Fire 1