7/16 Sox @ Twinkies 2:00PM Let’s get over .500!!

Vote4Pedro

Lynn has bad knees from carrying all that extra weight around for all these years. The first thing a DR tells you is to lose weight to lessen the load on your joints.

He is a friggen professional athlete who you think would take care of his body and pay way more attention to his conditioning and fitness than the average friggen joe. 

Pitchers get their power from their lower half. When your legs are bad your velocity goes down and you mess up your mechanics.

Like my grandpa used to tell me, fat and lazy is no way to go through life. 

Edited by brijames1957
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, brijames1957 said:

Lynn has bad knees from carrying all that extra weight around for all these years. The first thing a DR tells you is to lose weight to lessen the load on your joints.

He is a friggen professional athlete who you think would take care of his body and pay way more attention to his conditioning and fitness than the average friggen joe. 

Pitchers get there power from their lower half. When your legs are bad your velocity goes down and you mess up your mechanics.

Like my grandpa used to tell me, fat and lazy is no way to go through life. 

Pretty sure your Grandpa lifted that from Dean Wormer.

2 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I find it interesting how many people here make fun of Lance Lynn for his weight, while we all love Cueto. Who is also a fat ass. Lol

Baseball history is riddled with fat asses that performed just fine. 

It's less "making fun" than disappointment that a professional athlete paid $18M a year has no interest in losing weight after significant weight problems both with the Cardinals and over the past two years here. If Cueto had knee issues, missed months of baseball, was terrible when he returned, you would hear similar comments, even though he's being paid $14M less.

With the Cardinals, Lynn hired a personal chef, lost 30 pounds, and was healthy enough for sustained success.

https://www.si.com/edge/2014/05/27/how-caveman-diet-transformed-st-louis-pitcher-lance-lynn

“Every day, I have the energy I need to be productive, whether that’s in between starts or starts,” he says. “I feel strong for my starts, but the days in between when you have your workouts, I just feel more energized, and I’m able to do more things—I’m ready to do more things.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/lindsay-berra-st-louis-cardinals-pitcher-lance-lynn-gains-plenty-from-weight-loss/c-63333280

"I'm more flexible and I don't have the aches and pains I've had in the past and in last year's playoffs, especially in my knees, back and hips," he says. "If you don't have the aches and pains, you feel better when you pitch and it's a lot easier to go out there every day."

23 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Pretty sure your Grandpa lifted that from Dean Wormer.

It's less "making fun" than disappointment that a professional athlete paid $18M a year has no interest in losing weight after significant weight problems both with the Cardinals and over the past two years here. If Cueto had knee issues, missed months of baseball, was terrible when he returned, you would hear similar comments, even though he's being paid $14M less.

With the Cardinals, Lynn hired a personal chef, lost 30 pounds, and was healthy enough for sustained success.

https://www.si.com/edge/2014/05/27/how-caveman-diet-transformed-st-louis-pitcher-lance-lynn

https://www.mlb.com/news/lindsay-berra-st-louis-cardinals-pitcher-lance-lynn-gains-plenty-from-weight-loss/c-63333280

That was eight years ago. He's also 35 years old. It might be age more than anything. 

I only watched parts of this game, but I saw how Lynn threw an absolute meatball to Correa.  Lynn knew it right away.  Then, when Correa and Polanca got their meatballs, they did everything they could to lift the balls in the air, unlike our guys. And if Bundy struggles against lefties, why didn't we start Resse instead of Seby.  It seems like Tony is alternating these guys regardless pf who is pitching. But, it's just one loss.  They play again tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I only watched parts of this game, but I saw how Lynn threw an absolute meatball to Correa.  Lynn knew it right away.  Then, when Correa and Polanca got their meatballs, they did everything they could to lift the balls in the air, unlike our guys. And if Bundy struggles against lefties, why didn't we start Resse instead of Seby.  It seems like Tony is alternating these guys regardless pf who is pitching. But, it's just one loss.  They play again tomorrow. 

Seems to have become the Sox philosophy for one full year now with so many of LaRussa’s bizarre lineup choices.

Reading over at the Twins’ boards, their fans are also asserting that they’ve been under .500 for weeks and weeks…have a rapidly disintegrating rotation/bullpen and simply shouldn’t make any dramatic trades (Montas/Castillo) because the division is so terrible and the odds of beating NY and Houston so miniscule.

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems to have become the Sox philosophy for one full year now with so many of LaRussa’s bizarre lineup choices.

Reading over at the Twins’ boards, their fans are also asserting that they’ve been under .500 for weeks and weeks…have a rapidly disintegrating rotation/bullpen and simply shouldn’t make any dramatic trades (Montas/Castillo) because the division is so terrible and the odds of beating NY and Houston so miniscule.

I think, if healthy and playing to their potential, the Sox have a much better chance to beat NY and Houston than Minnesota.  The proof is in the pudding when it comes to how they faired head to head.  It's why I'm more likely to take the plunge on a dramatic trade.

8 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I think, if healthy and playing to their potential, the Sox have a much better chance to beat NY and Houston than Minnesota.  The proof is in the pudding when it comes to how they faired head to head.  It's why I'm more likely to take the plunge on a dramatic trade.

The only thing that matters now is how much pressure Hahn and TLR are feeling over job security.

It's easier to make a shortsighted trade for today, let's say for Colson Montgomery, if you're not going to be around to clean up the mess in the future.

Of course, the disaster of 2011 is what led directly to a similar face saving move with Hahn elevated and Ventura brought in to absorb so much of the blame and disappointment...basically, a sacrificial lamb.

One obvious problem is the rotation if you're facing those teams.  If you can't rely on Lynn and Kopech is fading...does anyone realistically believe Cease/Cueto/Giolito gets it done?  Then if you have to go another starter deep for a seven game series...who?

There isn't enough season left after the ASB  for Lynn to find the fountain of youth . As Chuck Garfein pointed out, Lynn's last 3 games were losses to Central Division opponents.

I feel the same way I felt watching Keuchel in his last few starts for the White Sox when Lynn pitches. Substandard pitches in terms of speed and spin rate that get hit hard when they find the strike zone. Hahn can let Lynn have a few more starts like this, but again, it may be too late to come back after a few more key losses.

4 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

That was eight years ago. He's also 35 years old. It might be age more than anything. 

Which would make it even more imperative to be lighter so he can be fresh, bounce back after starts, not skip Spring Training and the first few months of the season.

Lynn wore down last season and admitted to knee issues. He allowed 20 ER in his final six starts (30 innings). 

Lynn has given up 30 ER in his first seven starts this season (36 innings). The combined 13 game stretch amounts to a 6.82 ERA.

Dallas Keuchel's ERA with the White Sox (2020-2022) was 2 runs lower (4.79).

9 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I find it interesting how many people here make fun of Lance Lynn for his weight, while we all love Cueto. Who is also a fat ass. Lol

Baseball history is riddled with fat asses that performed just fine. 

Cueto works out a lot. Lance is a lazy slob. Johnny is in good shape.