2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

Is this in reference to the LHP they took in the 6th round? 

Probably a punt pick then. 

My take as a filthy casual:

A lefty that threw 103 innings, struckout 103 batters and walked 34 isn't the worst punt pick in the world.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

From what I just read, it sounds like players at larger programs could be looking at $50k to $100k per year.  So meaningful if you’re past the first few rounds, but also not life-changing money completely impossible to pass up.

Wow - I am surprised it is that much for baseball.  That is a big deal. Getting a scholarship plus low 6 figures to play ball and than potentially get drafted.  It isn't like 4th/5th rounders get that much.  

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Is Wolkow someone who is signable with the savings from the round 6 and 8 punts, or is this just another form of punting?

He's signing.  He's getting paid but I still think he made a mistake reclassifying and left money on the table.  The Sox know him as well if not better than anyone so I hope they're patient and give him all the time he needs.  

• Like 3

Calvin Harris is set to sign for $600K (about $25K over slot), according to the Telegraph Herald (Dubuque, IA newspaper).

https://www.telegraphherald.com/sports/local_sports/article_c2754f22-1f51-11ee-bd1d-1f14020aedf0.html

They also had a nice article about him on Sunday:

https://www.telegraphherald.com/sports/local_sports/article_82c1c606-1cf6-11ee-9d45-a7cd5ff0620a.html

Sounds like the Ole Miss coaches love him and nobody will out work him. My brother-in-law coached him in high school and has only great things to say about him and his family. I'll be rooting for this kid.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's signing.  He's getting paid but I still think he made a mistake reclassifying and left money on the table.  The Sox know him as well if not better than anyone so I hope they're patient and give him all the time he needs.  

I wonder how much he will get. He was ranked around 80ish in the rankings which is good for around 900k or so. So they need to come up with what an extra 600k or so to pay that?

If the 2nd rounder wanted a million to sign, that's like a bit under what the slot would be and if they saved money in the 3rd and 6th as per @Chicago White Sox, and a bit with Gonzalez they should be able to make the math work.

I'm glad they indulged Shirley's prep dreams a little bit there after Hahn prolly leaned on him in the first round.

Edit: I read Taylor wanted 1M to sign...and his slot was 1.659. If Wolkow wanted a similar number they could get pretty much all the savings right there.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

“Once again, that goes back to the relationship. Covering the backyard. It’s important to us. It’s important to our fan base,” Shirley said. “This is big-time power, a big-time athlete. We feel like we are only tapping the surface of what he may become.

“He goes where he goes. … We wanted to try to attack him, but we were patient, and luckily, we were able to strike a deal. It’s a huge part of the process of what the pool allocation [is], how you spend, when you choose to attack.”

There were admitted Draft savings for the White Sox along the way on Day 2, featuring Rounds 3 to 10, after LSU right-handed pitcher Grant Taylorjoined Gonzalez as the team’s Day 1 selections in the second round. Chicago has a $9,072,800 Draft bonus pool, with $248,300 allotted for Wolkow in the seventh.

“We cut some deals,” Shirley said. “But we didn’t sacrifice talent as we cut some deals. You have to be prepared: What is the cost? How bad does the player want to sign?

“Players ask for money, as they should. … Sometimes a player just wants to sign and forego a college career. George Wolkow is ready to start his pro career, and the White Sox walked into that opportunity and are truly excited about the upside he brings to this organization.”

mlb.com

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

“Once again, that goes back to the relationship. Covering the backyard. It’s important to us. It’s important to our fan base,” Shirley said. “This is big-time power, a big-time athlete. We feel like we are only tapping the surface of what he may become.

“He goes where he goes. … We wanted to try to attack him, but we were patient, and luckily, we were able to strike a deal. It’s a huge part of the process of what the pool allocation [is], how you spend, when you choose to attack.”

There were admitted Draft savings for the White Sox along the way on Day 2, featuring Rounds 3 to 10, after LSU right-handed pitcher Grant Taylorjoined Gonzalez as the team’s Day 1 selections in the second round. Chicago has a $9,072,800 Draft bonus pool, with $248,300 allotted for Wolkow in the seventh.

“We cut some deals,” Shirley said. “But we didn’t sacrifice talent as we cut some deals. You have to be prepared: What is the cost? How bad does the player want to sign?

“Players ask for money, as they should. … Sometimes a player just wants to sign and forego a college career. George Wolkow is ready to start his pro career, and the White Sox walked into that opportunity and are truly excited about the upside he brings to this organization.”

mlb.com

I love love love this pick.  He is 17 years old.  This is the draft version of getting an international signing.  He has crazy physical tools.  

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic