Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

7 hours ago, T R U said:

Baltimore 45-28 and currently in the playoffs and their entire roster cost less than Andrew Benintendi.

That would be the brilliant hire of 40 year old Mike Elias in 2018 who became the Baltimore Orioles Executive VP & GM in 2018 in which he is currently at.

Mike Elias Resume:

Yale graduate.

Was a pitcher on the Yale baseball team.

Started his career as a scout for St. Louis and was there from 2007-2011. He worked closely with Jeff Luhnow, who was the Cardinals' Director of Scouting and Player Development. Under Luhnow and Elias the Cardinals developed one of baseball's top ranked farm systems, that won multiple minor league championships across all levels. During the 2005-2007 drafts, they produced 24 major leaguers of which several contributed to the Cardinals' 2011 WS championship.  In those three years the 24 ML players was #1 in baseball.

Then in 2011, Luhnow was hired as the new Houston Astros GM. With that move, Luhnow brought with him Mike Elias to Houston initially as his special assistant to the GM.

Elias was at Houston from 2012-2018.  He was eventually promoted to Asst GM and Director Of Player Development and Minor League Operations for Houston.

The facts are, since Elias has been in Baltimore, he has drafted well and built the current #1 ranked farm system.

The Orioles record of 45-28 is in the toughest division in baseball with the the 29th ranked payroll in MLB.

This kind of reminds me of the move by the Dodgers several years ago, hiring a young executive from Tampa Bay in Andrew Freidman. 

Wake the F*$K up Jerry! Fire your POS FO and go to the outside and find the next successful rising executive.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That would be the brilliant hire of 40 year old Mike Elias in 2018 who became the Baltimore Orioles Executive VP & GM in 2018 in which he is currently at.

Mike Elias Resume:

Yale graduate.

Was a pitcher on the Yale baseball team.

Started his career as a scout for St. Louis and was there from 2007-2011. He worked closely with Jeff Luhnow, who was the Cardinals' Director of Scouting and Player Development. Under Luhnow and Elias the Cardinals developed one of baseball's top ranked farm systems, that won multiple minor league championships across all levels. During the 2005-2007 drafts, they produced 24 major leaguers of which several contributed to the Cardinals' 2011 WS championship.  In those three years the 24 ML players was #1 in baseball.

Then in 2011, Luhnow was hired as the new Houston Astros GM. With that move, Luhnow brought with him Mike Elias to Houston initially as his special assistant to the GM.

Elias was at Houston from 2012-2018.  He was eventually promoted to Asst GM and Director Of Player Development and Minor League Operations for Houston.

The facts are, since Elias has been in Baltimore, he has drafted well and built the current #1 ranked farm system.

The Orioles record of 45-28 is in the toughest division in baseball with the the 29th ranked payroll in MLB.

This kind of reminds me of the move by the Dodgers several years ago, hiring a young executive from Tampa Bay in Andrew Freidman. 

Wake the F*$K up Jerry! Fire your POS FO and go to the outside and find the next successful rising executive.

Unfortunately, you better get ready for Chris Getz as GM when/if Hahn is relieved of his duties.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, T R U said:

Unfortunately, you better get ready for Chris Getz as GM when/if Hahn is relieved of his duties.

I have no doubt you are probably right. We are talking about the worst owner in baseball. Stupid is as Stupid does!

I was just explaining why the Orioles are doing so well with so little money and illustrating how other smart owners unlike our POS owner, actually do things the right way to be successful, by going to the outside winning organizations to find their executives. 

I also came to grips a long time ago, that none of this dysfunctional BS with the Sox will ever change until Reinsdorf passes away and the team is sold. The only other hope is that as Jerry gets older and has perhaps a serious loss of cognitive skills or dementia... then maybe you might see his son Michael run the team. If that doesn't happen, then I'll just wait until the team is sold. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Inspired by the discussion in the "This team will lose 90 games thread", and the pathetically low bar Rick Hahn hasn't come close to accomplishing entering his 11th season.

The sad ass City of Chicago has three teams among the five leagues which have not advanced in the playoffs during the Rick Hahn era (Bears, Fire & White Sox), representing five of the nineteen teams. Detroit and Minnesota are the two other locations with multiple teams (Detroit Lions and Pistons & Minnesota Timberwolves & Twins).

There are eight total teams with a longer playoff drought than the White Sox.

Teams which have not advanced in the playoffs during the Rick Hahn Era (2013-2023):

• The MLB (5): Chicago White Sox (2005); Cincinnati (1995); Los Angeles A. L. (2009); Minnesota (2002); Texas (2011).
  • The NFL (6): Chicago (2010); Detroit (1991); Las Vegas (2002); Miami (2000); New York AFC (2010); Washington (2005).
  • The NBA (5): Charlotte (2002); Detroit (2008); Orlando (2010); Minnesota (2004); Sacramento (2004).
  • The NHL (1): Buffalo (2007)
  • The MLS (2): Chicago (2009); San Jose (2010)
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2023 at 10:50 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

Inspired by the discussion in the "This team will lose 90 games thread", and the pathetically low bar Rick Hahn hasn't come close to accomplishing entering his 11th season.

The sad ass City of Chicago has three teams among the five leagues which have not advanced in the playoffs during the Rick Hahn era (Bears, Fire & White Sox), representing five of the nineteen teams. Detroit and Minnesota are the two other locations with multiple teams (Detroit Lions and Pistons & Minnesota Timberwolves & Twins).

There are eight total teams with a longer playoff drought than the White Sox.

Teams which have not advanced in the playoffs during the Rick Hahn Era (2013-2023):

• The MLB (5): Chicago White Sox (2005); Cincinnati (1995); Los Angeles A. L. (2009); Minnesota (2002); Texas (2011).
  • The NFL (6): Chicago (2010); Detroit (1991); Las Vegas (2002); Miami (2000); New York AFC (2010); Washington (2005).
  • The NBA (5): Charlotte (2002); Detroit (2008); Orlando (2010); Minnesota (2004); Sacramento (2004).
  • The NHL (1): Buffalo (2007)
  • The MLS (2): Chicago (2009); San Jose (2010)

Evidently Rick Hahn having JR as his owner is the secret recipe in surviving these pathetic results. 

Sadly as we are finding out, this Cat Hahn actually does have "nine lives."

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

Hahn signing Benintendi was one of his  best signings. He is a real good player. Signing Santos and  Middleton were also good signings. This team hasn't  done well this year because of the complete collapses of Anderson and Moncada and  the loss of Hendriks. That being said I don't think Hahn will be fired.

Edited by WBWSF

39 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Hahn signing Benintendi was one of his  best signings. He is a real good player. Signing Santos and  Middleton were also good signings. This team hasn't  done well this year because of the complete collapses of Anderson and Moncada and  the loss of Hendriks. That being said I don't think Hahn will be fired.

Well, they're also not doing well because they currently have a bullpen game every fifth day because they don't have enough starting pitchers. They're also not doing well because they're still forcing DH's to play RF. They're also not doing well because they still don't have a 2B. 

Also, we are 10% into the Benintendi contract. He's been fine in a 'he can help your team' way, not in a 'largest contract in team history' way. I will be pleasantly surprised if that contract doesn't get worse and worse each year. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I agree Hahn has made a few good signings and moves. I also agree that injuries and collapses of Anderson, Moncada and Grandal hurt them. However the major league roster is not the only part of his GM duties. 

The fact is other successful teams have injuries. The good teams with the strong farm systems bring those players up when they have injuries, because they are ready to contribute. Unfortunately that is not the case with Hahn's farm system. Hahn's farm system is ranked near the bottom. There is absolutely no pitching at the AA and AAA levels to bring up. He failed badly with recent high draft picks. This is why there is more to grading Hahn on just the lack of major league talent, as well as having a losing team record. 

If Hahn isn't fired, it will only be because of Jerry being even more stubborn with his blind loyalty and ignorance.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

9 hours ago, WBWSF said:

He is a slightly above average player and the Sox signed him to the biggest contract in franchise history. If that’s Rick’s best signing…woof. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Rick Hahn's 2023 40 Man Roster Construction - Position Players:

• All Stars: Robert Jr..
  • Players who can field and hit "good enough": Benintendi.
  • Designated Hitters: Burger; Grandal; Jimenez; Sheets; Vaughn.
  • Fielders who cannot hit: Andrus; Zavala.
  • Was good, might be later: Anderson.
  • AAAA: Frazier; Haseley; Perez; Remillard.
  • Too young, still prospects: Colas; Ramos; Rodriguez; Sosa.
  • InjuredGonzalez; Moncada.
  • DFA'dAlberto; Garcia; Hamilton, Billy (reclaimed in AAA); Marisnick
Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

He is a slightly above average player and the Sox signed him to the biggest contract in franchise history. If that’s Rick’s best signing…woof. 

It might be the highest overall contract but he will never be the highest paid player in any year unless multiple players are traded

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

He is a good player - but middle market payroll clubs can’t hand out contracts like this. They need to develop good players and be market efficient. I didn’t have an issue with signing cause he filled a need and they had nothing else - but that is because of Rick and he didn’t do nearly enough and has been pure s%*# for a few years and has drafted s%*# and developed s%*# for a lot longer than that. 

Which team will finish with the better offense and position player roster?

White Sox vs. Athletics:

• Position Player Offense Runs Created: White Sox -44.7 Athletics -48.0
  • Position Player Defense Runs Saved: White Sox -18.3 Athletics -19.1
  • Position Player Overall fWAR: White Sox 3.7 Athletics 3.4

Players with a positive Offensive Runs Created (Batting + Base Running):

• White Sox (3 ML): Robert (14.9); Burger (4.6); Benintendi (3.6); Hamilton (0.1).
  • Athletics (3 ML): Noda (11.9); Rooker (8.3); Ruiz (2.5).

Players with a positive Defensive Runs Saved:

• Athletics (6 ML): Bride (2.4); Peterson (2.0); Kemp (1.8); Laureano (1.4); Diaz (1.3); Wade (1.2); Allen (0.1).
  • White Sox (4 ML): Zavala (8.1); Robert (5.6); Sosa (3.1); Andrus (1.3); Anderson (0.6); Rodriguez (0.1).

Players with an overall positive fWAR:

• Athletics (10 ML): Noda (1.6); Rooker (1.2); Ruiz (1.1); Peterson (0.7); Bleday (0.4); Laureano (0.3); Perez (0.3); Bride (0.2); Wade (0.2); Diaz (0.1); Capel (0.1).
  • White Sox (9 ML): Robert (3.1); Benintendi (0.9); Burger (0.8); Vaughn (0.2); Moncada (0.2); Grandal (0.2); Zavala (0.2); Jimenez (0.1); Sheets (0.1).

Billy Hamilton is the fourth most valuable White Sox offensive weapon with .000 OPS in 2 at bats. Fire Rick Hahn.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

He is a good player - but middle market payroll clubs can’t hand out contracts like this. They need to develop good players and be market efficient. I didn’t have an issue with signing cause he filled a need and they had nothing else - but that is because of Rick and he didn’t do nearly enough and has been pure s%*# for a few years and has drafted s%*# and developed s%*# for a lot longer than that. 

He's fine as the 6th or 7th best player on a big market team that can easily afford that contract. 

While it's not exactly crippling... you keep adding all these guy making $10-18 million per season that aren't even 2-3 fWAR contributors and it's a total disaster with no farm system capable of producing the same value at league minimum like CLE. 

The Hollies - "King Midas in Reverse"

The lyrics are below the YT link and so appropriate with Rick Hahn in mind.

If you could only see me
I know exactly where I am
You wouldn't want to be me
Oh, I can assure you of that

I'm not the guy to run with
'Cause I'll throw you off the line
I'll break you and destroy you
Given time

He's King Midas with a curse
He's King Midas in reverse

It's plain to see it's hopeless
Going on the way we are
So even though I'd lose you
You'd be better off by far

He's not the man to hold your trust
Everything he touches turns to dust
In his hands
Nothing he can do is right
He'd even like to sleep at night
But he can't

(All he touches turns to dust)

I wish someone would find me
And help me gain control
Before I lose my reason And my soul

• Fire 1

I can't help but wonder how many MLB GMs are popular with their fans. I would imagine that the fans of the Twins can't  possibly be happy with their GM after trading Luis Arraez to Miami. I never understood that trade at the time and I certainly can't understand it now.

30 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder how many MLB GMs are popular with their fans. I would imagine that the fans of the Twins can't  possibly be happy with their GM after trading Luis Arraez to Miami. I never understood that trade at the time and I certainly can't understand it now.

A GM's popularity in large part depends on how successful the franchise is and how they interact with the media (which by proxy the fans get a better understanding of the person.)

Hahn gets an F on both counts. 

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

A GM's popularity in large part depends on how successful the franchise is and how they interact with the media (which by proxy the fans get a better understanding of the person.)

Hahn gets an F on both counts. 

I remember someone at SoxTalk posting a video of Hahn at SoxFest laughing about his trading Tatis to Padres.  It's been a few years, but it's like yesterday in my mind.

• Fire 1