Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The Giants won 3 titles in the 2010s. Can’t put them in the same category as the Padres who have won zero and only two pennants in franchise history.

I'm saying the Padres have tough competition within their division. That was my answer to why the Padres have spent money and haven't won yet. 

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm saying the Padres have tough competition within their division. That was my answer to why the Padres have spent money and haven't won yet. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34325971/why-race-juan-soto-decide-rest-mlb-trade-deadline

The Dodgers have an embarrassment of riches.  It’s quite possible they’re just bluffing to get the Cardinals and Padres to draw down from their assets.  LA doesn’t have to, unless they want to swoop in and steal Turner and Scherzer at the last second.  Of course they still don’t have a 162 game championship since Kirk Gibson over thirty years ago.

The Giants see the writing on the wall and know they’re badly outgunned.

Even at $230 million, SD might not be able to compete with LA despite their own pitching surplus.  Underperformers like Hosmer, Snell, Manaea, Clevinger and Myers are taking up way too much payroll space.

All that said, they can still pull off the Soto deal now.

If they miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first round, Preller is likely gone with Melvin remaining.

Just now, bmags said:

it would be cool if baseball allowed player leasing. Unlike a full trade, all players could veto it. But a team could get a .5 year lease of Ohtani in exchange for prospects, and have him back next year. 

I enjoy this proposal every time you bring it up, because it'd be fucking nuts.

Also imagine the absolute shit storm if Ohtani got injured because a team rode his arm too hard and he got injured and didn't disclose it back to the Angels. It'd be wild. There'd be banishments from baseball. The Angels would get to pick prospects a la carte.

I want it.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

it would be cool if baseball allowed player leasing. Unlike a full trade, all players could veto it. But a team could get a .5 year lease of Ohtani in exchange for prospects, and have him back next year. 

And if he got injured?  How would you split up the compensation?

Just now, Quin said:

I enjoy this proposal every time you bring it up, because it'd be fucking nuts.

Also imagine the absolute shit storm if Ohtani got injured because a team rode his arm too hard and he got injured and didn't disclose it back to the Angels. It'd be wild. There'd be banishments from baseball. The Angels would get to pick prospects a la carte.

I want it.

How would there be banishments if the Astros didn’t suffer any consequences for stealing a World Series?

If another team had, for example, loaned Carlos Rodon last year to the Sox, could that team win a lawsuit for “abusing” or at the very least overusing him since they never planned to keep him long-term?

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Can't deny that, as a baseball fan, watching guys like Dipoto and Preller make moves makes this time of year fun.

It must be fun to be a fan of a team where money isn't always the #1 concern. Where it's more important to an owner to have even more than he will ever spend than winning. The cheapness and loyalty has made a really good looking rebuild come to a screeching halt. I really don't think there is much they can do though now to make this season successful. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How would there be banishments if the Astros didn’t suffer any consequences for stealing a World Series?

If another team had, for example, loaned Carlos Rodon last year to the Sox, could that team win a lawsuit for “abusing” or at the very least overusing him since they never planned to keep him long-term?

FO people would def get banned/suspended, like they did for the Astros.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting point from James on upcoming Rule 5 considerations.  I definitely think Ramos & Popeye are guys Hahn is pushing right now.

4 of these guys are in our top 10 or so and one just hit Law's top 100.  Better be for a lot more than a middle reliever.  The 40 man still has filler, as well as Sheets and Burger who should be higher priorities (and with fit for the players the Sox are likely targeting).

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Good for the Brewers.   This is how you keep windows open.  They're looking at their 5th straight playoff appearances.

Brewers, Rays, Guardians, Twins, A’s until ownership cut their legs out from under them.

Some of the better budget-oriented front offices in the game.  Zaidi with the Giants, too.  The Cardinals have never gone over $165 million despite $52 million wrapped up in Arenado and Goldschmidt.

Was trying to think of worse GM’s than Hahn and only had Perry Minasian and Avila yesterday.  Probably need to add Dayton Moore, even though his system at least led to two World Series in a row in one of the smallest media markets in baseball.

Although the Sox Hydra is so opaque nobody can ascertain who is responsible for what…everybody and nobody simultaneously.

The White Sox like a terrorist cell.  Nobody knows what any unit or department besides their own is doing.  Although it’s not to protect or firewall them, it’s blind loyalty and complacency mixed with a complete disregard for urgency.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

4 of these guys are in our top 10 or so and one just hit Law's top 100.  Better be for a lot more than a middle reliever.  The 40 man still has filler, as well as Sheets and Burger who should be higher priorities (and with fit for the players the Sox are likely targeting).

I’m not suggesting they would trade these guys for a reliever.  I think Hahn would like to use Ramos, Popeye, and/or Crochet to get something more impactful. I’m guessing that package isn’t attractive enough to get us such a player.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not suggesting they would trade these guys for a reliever.  I think Hahn would like to use Ramos, Popeye, and/or Crochet to get something more impactful. I’m guessing that package isn’t attractive enough to get us such a player.

Yeah maybe a rental player. I'd almost rather just trim some of the fat in the off-season than trade the guys who need to be added if they aren't getting something good.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When I think impactful, I think of your guy in Pitt (and I know prob not enough). I fear buying high on Happ, who had 2 walks and 1 homer in July and whose numbers have started to recede to his usual average self.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Interesting point from James on upcoming Rule 5 considerations.  I definitely think Ramos & Popeye are guys Hahn is pushing right now.

I would add Mieses to that list, but as has already been pointed out, there's so much filler on the Sox 40 man, I don't think this should be their primary concern.  Off the top of my head, Abreu, Cueto, Velasquez, Engel, and Harrison are all free agents at the end of the year.  Aybar, Crick, Foster, Severino, Sousa, Stiever, McGuire, Romy Gonzalez, and Haseley are all cuttable.  That's 12 guys.  Our farm system isn't good enough to need to protect 12 guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I would add Mieses to that list, but as has already been pointed out, there's so much filler on the Sox 40 man, I don't think this should be their primary concern.  Off the top of my head, Abreu, Cueto, Velasquez, Engel, and Harrison are all free agents at the end of the year.  Aybar, Crick, Foster, Severino, Sousa, Stiever, McGuire, Romy Gonzalez, and Haseley are all cuttable.  That's 12 guys.  Our farm system isn't good enough to need to protect 12 guys.

Stiever will probably be the number 5 starter next year, him or Davis Martin…if they miss the postseason.

Or they’re going to have to start cutting payroll and/or strike a bargain with Cueto but don’t think they catch lightning in a bottle three consecutive years.