A hahn positive: the trades

Dominikk85

A lot of negative talk about hahn about his free agent signings and inaction but I think a positive thing have been his trades. He obviously did great in the selling trades for prospects during the rebuild and while some of the guys he traded for flopped none of the guys he gave up (after tatis) really seems to become a big league factor. 

Some examples:

Lynn trade:dunning is not doing terrible at a 4 era but his fb velo is down to 89 and his k rate a lame 20%, he doesn't seem to be much and weems has a 5 era in AA. 

Mazara trade:

Mazara failed but steele walker was DFAed twice since then

Kimbrel trade: madrigal continued to get injured and doubled his k rate while still hitting for no power. 

Cesar hernandez trade: pilkington is looking pretty mediocre so far, maybe he is a 5th starter

The White Sox also traded Omar Narvaez for a closer who cost them over $10 million in '19-20. While he's been hurt for some time this year, Narvaez has been worth 6.4 fWAR since the White Sox traded him. Since then, the White Sox added Grandal who has been worth 4.7 fWAR in the 3 years after being signed - but he's also being paid $18.25 million for it. Although 2020 messed with the totals and Narvaez would probably have not performed as well without the trades due to the quality of White Sox coaching (grumble), basically this one trade added $80 million to the White Sox's payroll, and it seems likely the gap between the two catchers will widen in coming years.

While you address several guys not being useful after being traded, you also skipped the money that the White Sox took on in those deals. Mazara - took on Money. Cesar - took on money as well. Kimbrel - took on a ton of money and then doubled down on it.

• Like 3

Rick has done well only when he had all the leverage in the world with the Sale, Eaton and Quintana trades.  Not exactly impressive.  Beyond those, I am hard-pressed to think of anything he has done to actually improve the ball-club. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Giving credit for acquiring bad players because he also traded away bad players is an impressively low bar.

This.

"His trading track record isn't all that bad because he hasn't traded anyone of consequence except for Tatis, which now we know he's on roids"

So can we at least admit Hahn does nothing at his job to make this team better?

This also speaks to the absolute crap that this farm system has produced. I suppose good on Hahn for getting of those guys...but as others have said, this is a big time stretch to consider the moves Rick has made over the last year+ a "positive" 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

This also speaks to the absolute crap that this farm system has produced. I suppose good on Hahn for getting of those guys...but as others have said, this is a big time stretch to consider the moves Rick has made over the last year+ a "positive" 

"Hahn drafted Madrigal #4 overall and traded him away before he became terrible. This sequence of moves is a positive for Rick Hahn." does seem like it's kinda ignoring part of the story, doesn't it? 

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

He Who Shall Not Be Named. When you traded a guy with that handle, you know you must be bad.

I always contend that the worst part about that is that he was thrown in to that trade for no discernible reason.  Shields had been called out by the owner of the Padres....Erik Johnson should have been more than enough to give up for Shields.  To have to throw in anyone else is ridiculous....that Hahn threw in a lottery ticket that happened to be a powerball winner is quite comical.

51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"Hahn drafted Madrigal #4 overall and traded him away before he became terrible. This sequence of moves is a positive for Rick Hahn." does seem like it's kinda ignoring part of the story, doesn't it? 

Then he doubled down by activating that Kimbrel option and then found he had very little value....luckily he found the Dodgers to unload Pollock on us.  If Pollock does not opt out, the stupidity of that initial trade looks even worse imo.

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's seriously time to question the Sale and Eaton deals. 

Eaton deal definitely was great even though giolito is struggling. 

Eaton produced 4 war in his first 2 years after the trade (and negative war since then) and giolito produced 12 war so far and dunning got them lance lynn who had been mostly good. 

The eaton deal was one of the greatest trades ever probably. The sale deal you can question but really you get a starter im kopech plus moncada had been an above average player until he fell apart unexpectedly. 

I think at the time that was a great return. 

The one thing I would hold against hahn was that he didn't trade away some guys before they became zero value guys. Maybe he overestimated the quality of the sox player dev and hoped they would get better but he probably could have traded guys like basabe,  Rutherford and others for something (even if it is only a relief arm) before they lost all value. But on the other hand that also meant he kept the good guys like vaughn instead of trading them when their value was lower so I guess that is a good thing. 

The big issue was that the sox system produced so little depth outside the blue chip guys,  they never really developed a 100k international guy or a 5th rounder into something so hahn didn't really have much to work with. 

But to his credit he did keep the right guys even if it meant keeping many of the wrong guys who then went on to zero value. 

Edited by Dominikk85

23 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Eaton deal definitely was great even though giolito is struggling. 

Eaton produced 4 war in his first 2 years after the trade (and negative war since then) and giolito produced 12 war so far and dunning got them lance lynn who had been mostly good. 

The eaton deal was one of the greatest trades ever probably. The sale deal you can question but really you get a starter im kopech plus moncada had been an above average player until he fell apart unexpectedly. 

I think at the time that was a great return. 

The one thing I would hold against hahn was that he didn't trade away some guys before they became zero value guys. Maybe he overestimated the quality of the sox player dev and hoped they would get better but he probably could have traded guys like basabe,  Rutherford and others for something (even if it is only a relief arm) before they lost all value. But on the other hand that also meant he kept the good guys like vaughn instead of trading them when their value was lower so I guess that is a good thing. 

The big issue was that the sox system produced so little depth outside the blue chip guys,  they never really developed a 100k international guy or a 5th rounder into something so hahn didn't really have much to work with. 

But to his credit he did keep the right guys even if it meant keeping many of the wrong guys who then went on to zero value. 

This was the very system he was at least 50% if not 75% responsible for developing and maintaining for the better part of 15+ years.

He only negotiated contracts that entire time?

Tatis Jr., btw, was under $1 million.

21 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

A lot of negative talk about hahn about his free agent signings and inaction but I think a positive thing have been his trades. He obviously did great in the selling trades for prospects during the rebuild and while some of the guys he traded for flopped none of the guys he gave up (after tatis) really seems to become a big league factor. 

Some examples:

Lynn trade:dunning is not doing terrible at a 4 era but his fb velo is down to 89 and his k rate a lame 20%, he doesn't seem to be much and weems has a 5 era in AA. 

Mazara trade:

Mazara failed but steele walker was DFAed twice since then

Kimbrel trade: madrigal continued to get injured and doubled his k rate while still hitting for no power. 

Cesar hernandez trade: pilkington is looking pretty mediocre so far, maybe he is a 5th starter

Hahn won three trades because the players that he drafted/developed sucked more than the players he received in return?