2022 NLCS- Phillies/Padres

flavum

Well, that was interesting. 

Grisham totally lost his confidence. 

When you have his power you can't leave it up to Nola. 

Thomson out managed Melvin and Harper/Hoskins were just too much.  Should have started Martinez over Clevinger. 

Hopefully a better WS than these championship series... although the NL one was very competitive for the most part. 

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Really thought the Brewers were going to overtake them with two weeks to go and ending season against Houston. 

Guess it's pretty appropriate they match up so quickly again. 

Hard to hang your heads too much in SD.  They went for it, luck ran out running into a buzzsaw and lacking a fourth starter. 

Thomson has just had the magic touch since being hired...just had to persevere through one really tough stretch there late in September not unlike the 2005 White Sox. 

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At least there's no chance of adding that contract unless it's for Pollock. And AJ would probably finish Top Ten NL MVP race next year in Philly the way things are trending. 

I would gladly wish Mr Pollock the best of luck wherever he goes...just as long as he's no longer playing for us.  I've had enough of his disappearing act offensively for weeks at a time.

1 hour ago, maxjusttyped said:

Somehow run of the mill good relieves have been able to go 2 innings for years in the playoffs, but it's too much of an ask for Hader with the Padres season on the line. yikes.

Hader has experienced lots of issues trying to go more than 4 outs.

Look at his usage after struggling mightily after the trade.

Melvin was managing more for Games 6/7 thinking he couldn’t get three consecutive wins without Hader for G6 knowing Snell at best was going to get him 5-6 innings based on his track record.

And Suarez hadn’t give up a run over a long long stretch until Hoskins in G2.

This one obviously will be debated, especially with Hader likely to make around $18 million in arb in his final season before FA.

Harper was just out of this world in these playoffs.  It will be interesting to see how Houston pitchers handle him. 

This is not a second guess
Please don’t think it is
But I have been against preller from the get go for his tactics
He mortgaged the future for a spin on the roulette wheel
The most egregious move was the Soto trade
I was hoping the pads would not make playoffs so he would get fired already
But now he will be around for a few years so he can make more desperate moves to hurt the long term future more than he did already

Yup, I have called Preller a degenerate gambler on here and been properly slapped down for it. The degenerate part isn't a statement about his character, but a description of a compulsive type GM style. With those type people the action is more important than getting long term results. They just have to get those dopamine highs on a regular basis. His idea on how to build a team has changed about 4 times in 8 years with a giant juggling of players with each move. An organization has to have some healthy mix of young controllable talent mixed in with a few quality veterans to lead the way. Preller keeps prepping good young players all the way to MLB ready before shipping them off in huge numbers, often with a whole group of talented top prospects going for only one veteran player on a short contract.

gaslampball.com   game thread comments
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, reiks12 said:

How much money has Bryce Harper made for the Phillies? His contract is such a bargain my god how did Jerry, Kenny, and Hahn not even give him an offer?

He would have been worth it for merchandise and tickets alone. I gotta find the article but I remember they sold a significant amount of tickets the day after they signed him. He also brings more national attention to the team.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He would have been worth it for merchandise and tickets alone. I gotta find the article but I remember they sold a significant amount of tickets the day after they signed him. He also brings more national attention to the team.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-deal-boosts-phillies-ticket-sales 

• Thanks 2

Bryce Harper just turned 30 years old as well.

If you were ever going to give someone a massive contract, this was the guy to do that for. He may very well retain his value through the end of the deal when its only 22 million per year the final 3 seasons. This is a megastar that could have been had for 25 million per year.

Hell, we are almost going to be paying Moncada the same for 2024

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

Bryce Harper just turned 30 years old as well.

If you were ever going to give someone a massive contract, this was the guy to do that for. He may very well retain his value through the end of the deal when its only 22 million per year the final 3 seasons. This is a megastar that could have been had for 25 million per year.

Hell, we are almost going to be paying Moncada the same for 2024

I get really irritated when I start thinking about how they botched that off-season.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I get really irritated when I start thinking about how they botched that off-season.

A marketable young superstar available with limited other suiters...I thought Harper was always the way to go....plus he didn't have friends and family to sign before pursuing him.  Memories of that offseason also bug me.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wegner said:

A marketable young superstar available with limited other suiters...I thought Harper was always the way to go....plus he didn't have friends and family to sign before pursuing him.  Memories of that offseason also bug me.

That was the way.  It was blindingly obvious.  We were in the perfect position to complete our core with a generational superstar at a position of historic need for a comparative bargain and we just said....nah.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That was the way.  It was blindingly obvious.  We were in the perfect position to complete our core with a generational superstar at a position of historic need for a comparative bargain and we just said....nah.

I know that hindsight is 20/20 but damn that was dumb.  They didn't even try to pursue him, at all, as far as I can tell.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

I know that hindsight is 20/20 but damn that was dumb.  They didn't even try to pursue him, at all, as far as I can tell.

They made a big presentation to him at the winter meetings and then bragged at Soxfest (cough) how they were going after multiple middle of the order bats, but it seems clear that they thought the prices for both Harper and Machado would be much lower than they actually were in order to say things like that. Whatever the number they had in their mind was, they thought they could get both done for something like half as much as they actually wound up being paid. Once the price for Machado rose to $250 million they didn't want to go any higher, and with Harper they weren't seriously participating once things moved towards final bids. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

They made a big presentation to him at the winter meetings and then bragged at Soxfest (cough) how they were going after multiple middle of the order bats, but it seems clear that they thought the prices for both Harper and Machado would be much lower than they actually were in order to say things like that. Whatever the number they had in their mind was, they thought they could get both done for something like half as much as they actually wound up being paid. Once the price for Machado rose to $250 million they didn't want to go any higher, and with Harper they weren't seriously participating once things moved towards final bids. 

That's a depressing history lesson.  Thank you for making it clear one of the reasons why they are in the position they are in now....zero understanding of the market...made clear again when Hahn overestimated the value of Kimbrel when he picked up his option last off season.

15 minutes ago, wegner said:

That's a depressing history lesson.  Thank you for making it clear one of the reasons why they are in the position they are in now....zero understanding of the market...made clear again when Hahn overestimated the value of Kimbrel when he picked up his option last off season.

There was a weird thing in January of that year where, after Machado had toured Guaranteed Rate Field (was that before the name change), Bruce Levine published that the White Sox had offered Machado 8/$175. It somehow got picked up everywhere and literally shared by the official verified MLB Twitter piece with an image saying "offered" and a picture of Machado and the Sox logo before it got pulled.

Shortly after that, Machado's agent started publicly complaining about leaks, and in the end someone from the Padres said that they got involved in Machado's bidding in the first place after that report because that report made it seem like the bidding wasn't going to get out of control and they could get in at a somewhat reasonable price. 

My guess always was that the White Sox leaked that offer thinking "this will tell everyone else that we're serious and that they should stay away", because why else would it have gone all the way up to MLB itself? And if they were thinking that they could get Machado for $175 and Harper for something similar to that all the way up until February, Hahn saying they could get "middle of the order bats" makes sense. Then, that leak does the opposite and brings in the Padres and the Phillies into the bidding, and the White Sox hit their limit while the two other teams that got involved wound up getting those guys for contracts that, while high, were surprisingly reasonable compared to where FA spending could have gone.

Once Machado turned down their offer ($250 million with 2 team options), it was clear they weren't really in the realm for Harper either, so they let the Phillies and Giants battle it out (someone else might have been in there, but the Giants had a short term deal with a higher yearly amount while the Phillies put the long term deal there). 

• Thanks 1