Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

So Pal seemed to indicate yesterday that Correa to Mets could be good for the Sox, presumably tied to Liam to Mets rumor. Not sure if Ottavino changes that, but worth mentioning now that Correa is indeed a Met.

Yeah, I bumped his post in the off-season rumors thread, but I’m trying to figure out what we could trade that would lower their payroll. Unless we just take on some Hendriks money. 

Would we have to take McCann and Escobar off their hands? If so, we’d need a solid prospect like Baty. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So Pal seemed to indicate yesterday that Correa to Mets could be good for the Sox, presumably tied to Liam to Mets rumor. Not sure if Ottavino changes that, but worth mentioning now that Correa is indeed a Met.

Who does it make expandable though?  Escobar is now firmly on the bench, but trading Liam for him would be counter-productive.  This also makes Guillorme more available, but he doesn’t really help the power situation at all.

To me, you either need McNeil or a major league ready top prospect.  And I struggle to think the Mets would move the former and the latter is unlikely unless you take on bad money (i.e. McCann).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Yeah, I bumped his post in the off-season rumors thread, but I’m trying to figure out what we could trade that would lower their payroll. Unless we just take on some Hendriks money. 

Would we have to take McCann and Escobar off their hands? If so, we’d need a solid prospect like Baty. 

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who does it make expandable though?  Escobar is now firmly on the bench, but trading Liam for him would be counter-productive.  This also makes Guillorme more available, but he doesn’t really help the power situation at all.

To me, you either need McNeil or a major league ready top prospect.  And I struggle to think the Mets would move the former and the latter is unlikely unless you take on bad money (i.e. McCann).

Yah, I don’t really see it. I guess Batty + McCann + Escobar for Liam would save the Mets like $7-8M (+ the tax) but I kind of doubt they care that much about that and is JR really going to approve adding more payroll? 

Edited by ChiSox59

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You better be getting Baty if you take on McCann’s salary alone.  And honestly, I’d probably want a second piece too.  McCann’s contract is bad, the Mets don’t have the space to roster him, and they’re paying a 90% luxury tax rate so he’s effectively costing $23M a season.

I’d probably do Liam for McCann, Baty, & Peterson.  The Mets are going to be hard pressed to dump James (who else has a connection to him) and Liam is a top 3 closer on a below market deal.  They need to pay the f*** up if they want us to further their cause of creating a super team.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Like no one here would seriously say “we should trade Colson Montgomery to get rid of Grandals contract” we’d say like maybe Jose Rodriguez 

Well when your owner approves half a billion dollar payrolls, prospects become slightly less important. 

Just now, bmags said:

Baty is very good. You don’t get a player like that just taking on $10 mil

McCann is owed $24M and will cost them $46M with luxury tax hits.  You’re also giving them an elite closer on a sub market deal.  Theoretically it’s very much in reason to snag a high-end prospect like Baty, but it implies that Cohen has some theoretical financial cap and/or is all in on these next couple seasons.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

McCann is owed $24M and will cost them $46M with luxury tax hits.  You’re also giving them an elite closer on a sub market deal.  Theoretically it’s very much in reason to snag a high-end prospect like Baty, but it implies that Cohen has some theoretical financial cap and/or is all in on these next couple seasons.

Just the Mets inquiring about a closer like Hendricks only to be a set up man does suggest that hopefully 

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I gotta say, witnessing such a spending spree is disheartening for a Sox fan that wants to compete in a league that has ownership that so thoroughly outclasses us. Like, how can we compete? It would have to be a constant veteran churn for high prospects that get dumped before they hit the market

It's bad enough for us as fans of a team that has a $180 million payroll (let's not talk about WHO they're spending that money on).  Imagine being a fan of the Pirates, Marlins, Reds, etc.  Of course, if the Mets have a $400 million+ payroll and don't win the World Series, or even the pennant, or even make it far in the playoffs, what will their fans think?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It's bad enough for us as fans of a team that has a $180 million payroll (let's not talk about WHO they're spending that money on).  Imagine being a fan of the Pirates, Marlins, Reds, etc.  Of course, if the Mets have a $400 million+ payroll and don't win the World Series, or even the pennant, or even make it far in the playoffs, what will their fans think?  

Hard to see it as a guarantee, braves rotation can still eat anyone up when they are right.