2023-24 NFL Season Thread

7 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Absolutely. And it helps draw a lot of attention to the coaches and their terrible decisions.

Yeah I realized after that us winning is a bigger loss if it keeps this absolutely horseshit coaching staff. 

6 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Wasn’t that a fourth and one too?

That was an earlier drive when they were up 6 and I think kicking the FG then was fine. I'm talking about the next drive when they were up 9 and just sat on the ball once they got into FG range.

Unforgivable to coach like that in the last 5 minutes but even more so when you're 3-7 and have literally nothing to lose.

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

That was an earlier drive when they were up 6 and I think kicking the FG then was fine. I'm talking about the next drive when they were up 9 and just sat on the ball once they got into FG range.

Unforgivable to coach like that in the last 5 minutes but even more so when you're 3-7 and have literally nothing to lose.

Raiders playing exact opposite of the Bears under a new coaching staff.

This is probably one of if not the worst coaching staff in the NFL. JF played well all things considered but I agree with everyone here, change this coaching staff, fire Poles too and let's see what these players can do with actual coaches who know what they're doing. Having said that, I have zero faith in ownership actually making the right decisions going forward.

Win would have been nice, but terrible in the grand scheme of things.

A win would have knocked you out of the top 5 in draft position. This loss was pretty much squarely on the coaching staff. They had ample opportunities to go up by 3 scores, instead they kicked 3 field goals because they were content with 3 points and the play calls on 3rd down telegraphed it.

The defensive head coach's defense then let Detroit cut through his defense without any resistance and gave up 15 points in 5 minutes. It's hard to blame the players when you were content not scoring more points, thinking your defense was good enough.

This and the Broncos game, and to an extent, the Washington game were all great examples of just how bad this coaching staff is at playing with a big lead. They get complacent on defense and run extremely safe and low yardage plays on offense just to allow the opponents back in the game. That's not winning football.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fathom said:

What was the benefit of winning?  Draft pick and new staff seems way more important.

Do the Bears take Caleb Williams or Harrison Junior if they end with the #1 pick? 

I think you gotta fire the whole coaching staff and front office this offseason if you are planning to take a QB with the Carolina pick. 

3 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Do the Bears take Caleb Williams or Harrison Junior if they end with the #1 pick? 

I think you gotta fire the whole coaching staff and front office this offseason if you are planning to take a QB with the Carolina pick. 

They’ve basically done the same cycle for 25 years, where when they draft a QB, it’s from a lame duck coach/GM. 

If they decide to go the franchise QB route in the draft, no one can be back. I’d argue Poles shouldn’t be back either, but I wouldn’t be super upset if he’s back, it’s still only been 2 years. 

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

They’ve basically done the same cycle for 25 years, where when they draft a QB, it’s from a lame duck coach/GM. 

If they decide to go the franchise QB route in the draft, no one can be back. I’d argue Poles shouldn’t be back either, but I wouldn’t be super upset if he’s back, it’s still only been 2 years. 

Poles has one card to play imo and that is “I didn’t draft Fields”. By next season the roster turnover should really reflect that it’s Poles roster and not Pace.

he gets that QB, and it better fucking work.  If it goes belly up in year 1 and whatever coaching staff in place is acting like Mr Magoo when it comes to running a game, then Poles gotta go too.  

46 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Poles has one card to play imo and that is “I didn’t draft Fields”. By next season the roster turnover should really reflect that it’s Poles roster and not Pace.

he gets that QB, and it better fucking work.  If it goes belly up in year 1 and whatever coaching staff in place is acting like Mr Magoo when it comes to running a game, then Poles gotta go too.  

The 4-D chess move for Poles would be improving the team outside of QB (MHJ, Olu), sitting back and buying more time for himself, while still holding onto the “Fields isn’t my QB” card. 

This draft may very well have future HOF talent taken as the 3rd or 4th QB selected overall. If they don’t select the right one, and go through another Mahomes scenario, Poles is done. Especially with a likely Top 5 pick, and another inside the Top 10. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony said:

If you fire the coach - draft a QB or can stick with Fields (and punt on a QB for another year). If you don't fire the coach, than you can stick with Fields. I really don't see any scenario at this point, sans them basically winning out, where they don't make a move with Flus. 

I really would be all-in on Harbaugh if I were the Bears. And basically its up to Warren to decide whether Poles and Harbaugh could work together or not. If Harbaugh wanted to gauge Fields for a year while they wait on QB, fine, cause he's the type of guy that will be here for multiple years.  In that case though - you need to do something similar to what Bears did this year - where you are trading one of our top picks for a future 1st (to ensure you have ammo to get a QB if who you have on roster doesn't pan out).  

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

The 4-D chess move for Poles would be improving the team outside of QB (MHJ, Olu), sitting back and buying more time for himself, while still holding onto the “Fields isn’t my QB” card. 

This draft may very well have future HOF talent taken as the 3rd or 4th QB selected overall. If they don’t select the right one, and go through another Mahomes scenario, Poles is done. Especially with a likely Top 5 pick, and another inside the Top 10. 

I see a scenario where this happen. Fields has 3 out of his last 4 games as being above average. If he can stack another 3 out of 4 above average games, than I absolutely see a scenario where you change coaching staffs but continue to basically build up the whole rest of the roster (maybe taking a QB in 2nd round or something like that).  Poles does this though he has to also get a future 1st (so move down from one of their top picks) to ensure he can play that card right.  It isn't an awful move at this point.

Now if Fields struggles from here on out / is mediocre, than obviously you can't go that way.  But I'm not going to lie - trade down at 1 - than draft a Marvin Harrison and a Dlinemen or an LT (if Braxton Jones doesn't look good) with your other pick.  FA center, maybe some more money on defense and another playmaker or two plus a slew of other picks.  If you squint you can see a roster, with quality draft execution - that starts to look pretty good.  

1 hour ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I don't think that's 4D, that's pretty straightforward.

I do think having watched a decent amount of the league the last few weeks, that the bears QB situation is not terrible. And while it is scary to pass on what could be two very good QB prospects and raise the chance you miss out on a 2020 like class (Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Hurts), you can also have the opportunity to trade down out of 1, still get marvin harrison, still have another first rounder next year.

Really, I'm not sure it's even necessary to draft Alt/Fashanu. Jones has looked pretty damn good. You get a real center, which the FA class looks ok there, and it's a good group, albeit with some injury risk at guard.

So you could potentially have an extremely fun top draft class of MHJ + Bowers. But after watching Laiatu Latu on saturday i'd be pretty happy with MHJ + Latu.