2023-24 NFL Season Thread

6 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

I honestly believe that so much of their off-season plan was reliant on Fields bringing in at least a second round pick, and now they have to adjust without it. But unfortunately, they are already limited with draft capital outside of #1 and #9

You want to talk about setting up your QB for success? Sign a veteran and have Williams sit. If they value intangibles like a good locker room, don’t even allow an opportunity for a Fields/Williams QB controversy. 

Yeah I don't think the pick is THAT important. They have #1 and #9 and $50 million in cap space. if you can't plan your offseason around that alone, you shouldn't be an NFL GM. 

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think they would be disappointed if they can’t move Justin but I can’t imagine so much of their offseason hinges on one (maybe) second round pick.  It helps, but it’s not everything 

I agree with you. Bears are in a good spot either way, with or without the 2nd rounder. And I don't know that the Bears were so delusional that they assumed they could get a 2nd - assuming a 3rd seemed reasonable though, so that I would buy into. Bears can always move down from 9 to a bit later and get a different tier of wideout plus a 2nd if they want. They also have a ton of cap space - so deploy that if they need to but do it smartly to where it doesn't create long-term pain.  

They do absolutely need to add a few wideouts and maybe even a TE - so that they can draft talent elsewhere but mitigate holes. I am curious to see what they do at wideout - really just one of the major wideouts has signed which is kind of surprising to me, but maybe not.  

What if the Bengals offered Higgins and their FRP to move up to 9 to get a Higgins replacement (or oline help for Burrows)? Bears would have to pay Higgins a ton - but it gives bears a wideout while still having a FRP to address defense or the oline (or if Brockers is there to spend it on that).  Not saying I love this idea but its an option given the cap space.  

1 hour ago, Tony said:

The Score is talking about this right now.  Danny Parkins thinks that this news is bogus and that Poles already oversold his hand and is trying to save face now.

Basically, before the combine, all the NFL reporters were saying that Justin Fields could bring back a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Then, the news came out during the combine that the Bears were definitely drafting Caleb Williams.  So now, all the rest of the QB needy teams in the NFL know the Bears have to deal Fields and aren’t willing to give up as much as what he was initially rumored to be worth.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

28 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah I don't think the pick is THAT important. They have #1 and #9 and $50 million in cap space. if you can't plan your offseason around that alone, you shouldn't be an NFL GM. 

Let’s be honest.  A 2nd round pick could be another starter, an OL for example.  Obviously a GM shouldn’t be banking their offseason on receiving a 2nd round pick happening for sure, but it would be a pretty big difference.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is it saving face for Poles or for Justin?

I’d think Poles. Especially if he personally let Fields know he was being traded and they were moving on.

Now, if you were Poles, what do you tell Fields? He said he wanted to do right by him. Well, what is that exactly? Keep him around until someone is desperate? 

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is it saving face for Poles or for Justin?

Poles, because he waited too long to work a deal.  Now the QB needy teams already grabbed one.  Why would a team give up a good draft pick for Fields now when there is no competition for him?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

In fairness - I have no idea if he was ever worth a 2nd or not. But when I see Wentz traded multiple times and Sam D'Arnold for something, it makes me assume Field(s) has to be worth that.  Cause the raw physical skills are tremendous and he's a good hard working individual.  But I also get it - teams don't just hand over draft capital.  Maybe after Day 1 of the draft there is a team who misses out and decides to pay up for him - maybe its a 3rd this year and like a conditional pick next year - I don't know.  I still hold out hope for if it is a 3rd they are getting one more pick.  If it was a 2nd - I would have always been thrilled with that.  

On inverse side - Burns just got a massive deal. I like the Sweat move more than what Giants did.  But I am curious to see where Bears go next or what they do. Maybe Poles is just going to go after guys that don't hit on first couple days (which isn't necessarily a bad plan - albeit I really like Hunter and feel he is the right type of player to "splurge" on.  

Wouldn't be shocked if they just go Armstead on a ST deal though.  

Wow... what a get for the Giants. Carolina is the same organization who turned down two 1sts for Burns and also refused to include him in a trade for the #1 pick from the Bears (instead included Moore) abd now trade him for a 2nd and a 5th. Crazy.

14 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Wow... what a get for the Giants. Carolina is the same organization who turned down two 1sts for Burns and also refused to include him in a trade for the #1 pick from the Bears (instead included Moore) abd now trade him for a 2nd and a 5th. Crazy.

That is a lot of money Giants are paying - combined with the pick. 

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It might be Fields is traded after Day 1 of the draft - once teams have figured out what they got in Round 1 at QB and than we see him moved. 

7 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

They might just end up not trading him at all actually. 

Either:

1. They trade him over the next week or so for some pick, probably to either Minnesota, Denver, LA Rams or New England.

2. Hold onto Fields until the trade deadline or when some team has an injury. See if he and Williams can coexist.

3. Trade during the draft as Chisoxfn suggests.

4. Two quarterback headed monster with Fields and Williams.

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Weren’t there a couple posters here that actually wanted to stick with Fields over drafting Caleb Williams?  I guess this goes to show the value of Fields to the rest of the league.  No one is jumping to make the guy their team’s starting QB.

Yes to your question. I was one of them.

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

lol f*** it.  Justin becomes the Taysom hill of the offense

A la Kain Colter / Trevor Semien.

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Maybe the new GM and coach are finally doing the right things in Carolina, even though they should have dealt Burns for two first rounders when they had the chance. 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I pray Poles is working on a Hunter signing because things have been way too fucking quiet.

Perhaps that even with limited picks, Poles will be conservative in free agency and build more through the draft, which is consistent with what Brad Biggs has reported. But there has to be more out there to fill holes on this team.

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Need another interior defensive lineman.

12 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

In fairness - I have no idea if he was ever worth a 2nd or not. But when I see Wentz traded multiple times and Sam D'Arnold for something, it makes me assume Field(s) has to be worth that.  Cause the raw physical skills are tremendous and he's a good hard working individual.  But I also get it - teams don't just hand over draft capital.  Maybe after Day 1 of the draft there is a team who misses out and decides to pay up for him - maybe its a 3rd this year and like a conditional pick next year - I don't know.  I still hold out hope for if it is a 3rd they are getting one more pick.  If it was a 2nd - I would have always been thrilled with that.  

On inverse side - Burns just got a massive deal. I like the Sweat move more than what Giants did.  But I am curious to see where Bears go next or what they do. Maybe Poles is just going to go after guys that don't hit on first couple days (which isn't necessarily a bad plan - albeit I really like Hunter and feel he is the right type of player to "splurge" on.  

Wouldn't be shocked if they just go Armstead on a ST deal though.  

Maybe what caught up with the bears is none of those trades - wentz, darnold, rosen, etc worked out at all so now league may be super skeptical on that growth path. ESP with 6 QBs in top 75 or so.

9 hours ago, The Beast said:

Either:

1. They trade him over the next week or so for some pick, probably to either Minnesota, Denver, LA Rams or New England.

2. Hold onto Fields until the trade deadline or when some team has an injury. See if he and Williams can coexist.

3. Trade during the draft as Chisoxfn suggests.

4. Two quarterback headed monster with Fields and Williams.

Yes to your question. I was one of them.

A la Kain Colter / Trevor Semien.

Maybe the new GM and coach are finally doing the right things in Carolina, even though they should have dealt Burns for two first rounders when they had the chance. 

Perhaps that even with limited picks, Poles will be conservative in free agency and build more through the draft, which is consistent with what Brad Biggs has reported. But there has to be more out there to fill holes on this team.

Need another interior defensive lineman.

No, not at all like that.  Like Taysom Hill.  Not a back up, a guy who comes in and just runs wild for a few plays 

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

NFL free agency is so much more fun than MLBs.

NFL has cracked the code on getting basically everything right, and has become a 12 month a year sport. 

• Like 1

I am starting to think there is a sector of Bears fans that are dumber than cub fans. 

What exactly was Poles going to do with Fields?

People want to blame Getsy (I did).  He got another job.  So now we look at Fields.

It appears that potentially nobody wants him.  If that is the case, the Bears should not want him either.  tht is wht is happening.

That is not Poles fault.  In actuality it worked out perfectly.  They get a better QB than what was out there last year.  Yes Stroud appears to be better than thought but they were not taking him at #1. 

Maybe Poles turned down a 3rd round or even a 2, we don't know.

What appears to have happened is that all of football sees that Fields is a great athlete but maybe not an NFL QB and not one they are investing heavily in.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't care about the return I just want him gone and things are looking bleak right now. 

I understand where you’re coming from. Poles may decide to hold onto him if other teams are offering embarrassingly low returns.