GT Easter Sunday: SOX @ PIT, 12:35 pm, NBCSC

7 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

huge blow to Pittsburgh 😕

Yeah, it really sucks.

At the same time, I'm seeing a ton of Pirates fans and beat writers acting like Seby was wildly out of line, and it's baffling to me.

Was it in poor taste for him to chirp at Cruz? I guess. But in the immediate aftermath, I think he was pissed about Cruz making a play that was dangerous for both players and didn't realize the injury situation.

Seby's play itself was clean. I don't know, the reactions have just been wild to me.

• Like 1

That was a big game. Robert should have played. To get shut out in a rubber game seems king of pathetic to me. Like Sox were OK with getting one of three on the road.

This team could go either way. Right now I sense .500 ceiling again, likely a little below, kind of like the team's current record. No chance this is a contender tho. Kinda sad cause Sox have had contenders before.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Yeah, it really sucks.

At the same time, I'm seeing a ton of Pirates fans and beat writers acting like Seby was wildly out of line, and it's baffling to me.

Was it in poor taste for him to chirp at Cruz? I guess. But in the immediate aftermath, I think he was pissed about Cruz making a play that was dangerous for both players and didn't realize the injury situation.

Seby's play itself was clean. I don't know, the reactions have just been wild to me.

Yep - agree with this assessment.
The slide was late and could have caused serious injury to Seby. You can see Seby have to move his leg out of the way right at the last second. It's a play that could have ended either player's season, and hopefully Cruz makes it back sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Cruz used his right knee as a weapon and paid with his left ankle. Sebz gave him a lane but he went into attack mode. Sebz said something to Santana. I seem to recall Easter 2000 with Detroit. 

Edited by pcq

Can't say we haven't seen this before...Sox explode for double digit runs one day then the next fall flat on their faces.

Lose four of six to mediocre to bad teams in San Francisco and Pittsburgh.  

Lose the game because they have a second baseman playing right field and he can't make a catch then once again with a runner on third and less than two out they can't score him.

If they can't beat the Giants and Pirates what's going to happen when they have to face Baltimore, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Toronto the next few weeks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Can't say we haven't seen this before...Sox explode for double digit runs one day then the next fall flat on their faces.

Lose four of six to mediocre to bad teams in San Francisco and Pittsburgh.  

Lose the game because they have a second baseman playing right field and he can't make a catch then once again with a runner on third and less than two out they can't score him.

If they can't beat the Giants and Pirates what's going to happen when they have to face Baltimore, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Toronto the next few weeks?

Shades of the TLR era.

3 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Yeah, it really sucks.

Seby did nothing wrong.  His reaction in the heat of the moment is perfectly understandable after nearly being run over by a large human.  Santana over reacting was the dumb part.  That play is all on Cruz.  Anyone blaming Seby can pound sand.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Seby did nothing wrong.  His reaction in the heat of the moment is perfectly understandable after nearly being run over by a large human.  Santana over reacting was the dumb part.  That play is all on Cruz.  Anyone blaming Seby can pound sand.  

Yeah, though you can argue Santana has a right to stand up for his young teammate there, right or wrong.

It would be pretty shitty of Santana to let Seby keep yelling at the kid.

The play was all on Cruz, but I don't really blame Santana for what he did.

45 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Yeah, though you can argue Santana has a right to stand up for his young teammate there, right or wrong.

It would be pretty shitty of Santana to let Seby keep yelling at the kid.

The play was all on Cruz, but I don't really blame Santana for what he did.

I stand with Seby.  Screw Santana, Cruz and the horse they rode in on.

Oh yeah, and screw Reinsdorf and Hahn too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Sucks for cruz as he likely will be out for most of the season but you can't blame seby, cruz did slide late almost running him over

He seems accident prone. Broken right foot and motorcycle collision three killed not his fault though. 

11 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I mean, yeah - that's kind of the sentiment, but it's not unreasonable for Santana to stand up for his teammate.

10 hours ago, fathom said:

Would be interesting to know if he did that today also

He only threw 1 curve yesterday, but it looks like he's still doing it. 

Curveball:

d7fNk2k.png

Non-Curve

tFGZBjo.png

It's so obvious too. 

12 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Seby did nothing wrong and protected the plate as any good catcher is taught to do. The guilty party here is Cruz who intentionally avoided a proper slide in order to flagrantly try and hurt Seby with the purpose of intentionally trying to knock Seby down and get the ball dropped. As we all know, there are potential consequences for stupid dumb plays. Nobody likes to see any player get a serious injury. However, the fact is, if Cruz was dumb enough to attempt that type of careless misuse of his body at the plate, then nobody should be shocked that a bad injury happened. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Seby did nothing wrong and protected the plate as any good catcher is taught to do. The guilty party here is Cruz who intentionally avoided a proper slide in order to flagrantly try and hurt Seby with the purpose of intentionally trying to knock Seby down and get the ball dropped. As we all know, there are potential consequences for stupid dumb plays. Nobody likes to see any player get a serious injury. However, the fact is, if Cruz was dumb enough to attempt that type of careless misuse of his body at the plate, then nobody should be shocked that a bad injury happened. 

Looks like he was coming at him to knock him over but had second thoughts at the end, and he just got crushed.

2 hours ago, pcq said:

He seems accident prone. Broken right foot and motorcycle collision three killed not his fault though. 

Actually he isn't accident prone . The fact is he is a young, immature and careless 24 year old. That slide was reckless and if he would have done a proper slide, probably wouldn't have broken his ankle. 

Furthermore this is the same person back in Sept, 2020 who hit a motorcycle and killed three people as you mentioned. Yes he was found not guilty with a fine and probation stipulations, but it was reported by various sources he was under the influence of alcohol while driving. Additionally, Cruz was out at 1am during this crash, which at that time of peak Covid 19, was a curfew violation in this Dominican Republic town. The DR town had instituted a mandatory curfew law of not being out after midnight, in order to curb the Covid 19 crisis. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Looks like he was coming at him to knock him over but had second thoughts at the end, and he just got crushed.

Yeah, I think this is what happened.  His natural instinct was go for for the catcher plow, once Seby came down with the ball and he was dead to rights, he had a last second change of heart.  

The injury could have been avoided with several different slide styles to the right of the baseline.  While Cruz was probably out regardless, a really good headfirst swipe slide would have made it a tough play on Seby.  

Its unfortunate, but I can also understand why Pirates fans are sad/mad to lose Cruz.  Would be a similar feeling to Robert going down on a play at the plate - we'd all be frustrated.  I think 90% of them deep down realize it was on Cruz, even if they don't want to admit in while its still fresh.  

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That possibly could be the case, but that is only because he initially attempted to run over Seby. Then at the last second, because of his dumb decision, he realized, oh what a dumb move I just put myself in. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, I think this is what happened.  His natural instinct was go for for the catcher plow, once Seby came down with the ball and he was dead to rights, he had a last second change of heart.  

The injury could have been avoided with several different slide styles to the right of the baseline.  While Cruz was probably out regardless, a really good headfirst swipe slide would have made it a tough play on Seby.  

Its unfortunate, but I can also understand why Pirates fans are sad/mad to lose Cruz.  Would be a similar feeling to Robert going down on a play at the plate - we'd all be frustrated.  I think 90% of them deep down realize it was on Cruz, even if they don't want to admit in while its still fresh.  

It is clearly unfortunate and I understand fully why Pirate fans are upset. The fact still remains though, Cruz made a stupid decision. It's that simple! It's crazy Pirate fans or anyone are trying make him this poor martyr.

Is this any different than the dumb decision that Eloy made at the end of spring training in 2021 when he went up to attempt to catch a ball that was clearly going to be a home run in a meaningless game and tore his shoulder? When that happened the Sox fans and all SoxTalk posters felt bad for Eloy, but on the other hand, we were all pissed at Eloy for being so stupid. s%*# happens...especially when you attempt dumb s%*# things!

13 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That possibly could be the case, but that is only because he initially attempted to run over Seby. Then at the last second, because of his dumb decision, he realized, oh what a dumb move I just put myself in. 

He most likely wouldn't have fractured his ankle if he tried to barrel Seby over. Feel bad for the guy. 6'7" SS who can hit and run and throw are fun to watch..