Will AV even be better than…

Greg Hibbard

14 minutes ago, tray said:

Better comparison is Carlos Quentin, and he was pretty good.

Why would Quentin be a good comp? Carlos had 36 homers in his age 25 year, had a 30 homer per 162 avg, and had an 830 plus career OPS.

Vaughn has shown no signs he is even close to that level. 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1

Well, his current career comp is Josh Naylor, and his current through Age 24 comp is Travis Snyder, the latter because the White Sox are so F'd up, Andrew has nearly twice as many starts in the outfield as he does at 1B (191 vs. 103).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vaughan01.shtml

He has three seasons to reach his peak. He looks like he's on pace to be a league average 1B in 2025/2026, not necessarily #3 overall pick worthy, but that is Hahn's fault, not Andrew's.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Well, his current career comp is Josh Naylor, and his current through Age 24 comp is Travis Snyder, the latter because the White Sox are so F'd up, Andrew has nearly twice as many starts in the outfield as he does at 1B (191 vs. 103).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vaughan01.shtml

He has three seasons to reach his peak. He looks like he's on pace to be a league average 1B in 2025/2026, not necessarily #3 overall pick worthy, but that is Hahn's fault, not Andrew's.

the wrong handed this guy:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/snowj.01.shtml

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

…Dan Pasqua?

Let the question sink in for a minute, and then check the numbers.

It’s horrifying to think he might not even be as good as that guy. 

Pasqua was terrible

• Like 1

I’m wondering if the lack of playing time in the minor leagues has had an effect on his development, I expected much better from him but he’s is only one of many many Sox phenoms that have come down the pike and never became the player we had hoped for. I’d probably give him one more year to see if he can put it all together before putting him on the trading block. 
As far as comparisons, I’m going with a guy from the 1950s by the name  of Walt Dropo.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’m wondering if the lack of playing time in the minor leagues has had an effect on his development, I expected much better from him but he’s is only one of many many Sox phenoms that have come down the pike and never became the player we had hoped for. I’d probably give him one more year to see if he can put it all together before putting him on the trading block.

Why are other rookies succeeding despite that?

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I just don’t understand the upside. The dude is super slow, he doesn’t defend at an elite level, he doesn’t have plus power, and he doesn’t take enough walks. What the hell were we sold on? A high enough floor to be assured of being a right handed Gavin Sheets?

That was our genius group of scouts and the other losers in the FO, that convinced Hahn how important it was to use the #3 overall pick to take Vaughn. I know Vaughn's last two years in college were big, but he was a slow first baseman and average defender even in college. 

As it's been mentioned numerous times, why the F*^K did Hahn need to draft another slow first baseman, with average at best defense...when we already had Abreu and Sheets on the roster? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Remember when AV was a star bat? I don't either, but people here sure as hell made him out to be one. For all of our rebuild pain, we were rewarded with Madrigal-Kimbrel-Pollock and Vaughn.

Let that sink in. 

And if you opined that Hahn didn’t know what he was doing you were a closet Cubs fan.  Or a meathead that didn’t understand the modern game.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

As far as comparisons, I’m going with a guy from the 1950s by the name  of Walt Dropo.

Umm... yes.

Though I'd argue that it wouldn't matter in this org (we suck at developing players).

From the outside, this org seems to look at the minor leagues just as a warehouse of talent that's going to somehow figure out how to get better. The philosophy seems to be "let them play, and they'll improve; eventually, the good ones will be ready to contribute."

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

2 hours ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

He should be traded, and Burger should play first full time, with Sheets spelling him occasionally and when Burger moves to 3B because Moncada is hurt. 

So you mean you want Burger at 3rd and Sheets at 1st permanently lol?

Edited by RG23SoxFan
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, JoshPR said:

Pasqua was terrible

He sucked.. I just started watching when he was still at 1b and frank Thomas was coming up.  Pasqua was one of my least favorite and Thomas ended up being my favorite of all time.  Ofcourse Pasqua has had plenty of competition for least favorite but Thomas has not for favorite/greats imo. 

Edited by YonderLaroche

Vaughn is hitting .237 this year, and in 1189 career at bats he's hitting .251. Those are not the numbers expected from a #3 overall pick. It looks like he's just average offensively and below average defensively. He's still young, so maybe he'll still find "it", but 1189 at bats is no longer a small sample size.

• Like 2