And that's an I Can't Help Falling In Love With You Elvis Andrus White Sox Winner.

South Side Hit Men

• South Side Hit Men changed the title to And that's an I Can't Help Falling In Love With You Elvis Andrus White Sox Winner.

The catcher was blocking the back half of the plate. Unless he is holding the ball, the catcher is prohibited from blocking any portion of the plate. Viewing the route Elvis was taking towards the plate, and as he confirmed in his post game remarks, his intent as customary for him was to slide towards the back of the plate and extend his left arm. The positioning of the catcher impeded the toute to the plate forcing Elvis to redirect his body and slide to the front of the plate. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hawk 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Heim blocked Elvis path to the back of the plate forcing him to slide to the front.  

Crowd was alive.  

I heard all that activity prior to game unaware until I read the game thread after getting home.

Nice win because the division stinks but Grifol is absolutely clueless. 

Grifol did remember to challenge based on blocking the plate rule. But yeah his bullpen management is suspect to say the least. Must've been a fun game to be at. You'll always remember Popeye's major league debut.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Elvis' HR was the first from a White Sox starting SS this season (his other was at 2B).

This leaves the Nationals' CF as the last remaining starting position to not hit a HR this year.

Marlins' 3B had been a holdout position too, until Segura hit his first against the Sox during the previous homestand.

Andrus' slash over the last 7 (.280/.333/.480) quietly looking more like last year's version (.271/.309/.464 with the Sox). If he wants to get hot for a few weeks, I won't complain.

He's at 98 career homers, would be cool to see him hit 100.

Edited by Autumn Dreamin
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, superchops70 said:

I still don't understand this rule. How does a catcher perform a bang bang force out at home if he can't have his foot even on the back of the plate?!

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/collisions-at-home-plate

The catcher is not permitted to block the runner's path to the plate unless he is in possession of the ball, though blocking the path of the runner in a legitimate attempt to receive a throw is not considered a violation. The runner can be ruled safe if the umpire determines the catcher violated this rule. But per a September 2014 memorandum to the rule, the runner may still be called out if he was clearly beaten by the throw. Backstops are not subject to this rule on force plays.

The last sentence answers the questions of throws to the plate with the bases loaded.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Every time I see this dude's name all I can think of is seafood with a mustard seed mayo based sauce.

They have to rely on scrubs to bring some energy to the Field. 

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Heim blocked Elvis path to the back of the plate forcing him to slide to the front.  

Crowd was alive.  

I heard all that activity prior to game unaware until I read the game thread after getting home.

Nice win because the division stinks but Grifol is absolutely clueless. 

Smart enough to invoke a rule that Chuck, Ozzie and Bochy were unaware of.  That isn't clueless.  Bullpen management?  If Gascan Bummer controls his stuff, it's not a topic of discussion.  Managers don't make bullpen look good.  It's the 180 degree opposite.  And Bummer is Somebody.  Still scares the hell out of me, true.

Also, a word for the benefits of putting a bat on the ball and giving it a chance to make a seeing eye single which won a game tonight.  But don't complain about the HR or nothing we've been getting.  The new hitting coaches were hired to turn around Menechino's all singles offense and this is what they've gotten us.  Miserable OBP's.