GQ: Tim Anderson Is Tired of Being the Most Misunderstood Man in Baseball

caulfield12

• caulfield12 changed the title to TA7 "tired of being the most misunderstood man in baseball"

I don't think we're misunderstanding anything about TA.  He's woefully underperforming this season, and certainly seems to be distracted.  His personal life is a mess, and his mistakes are public.  He is a shadow of the guy who hit the walk-off HR in Iowa.  We want that guy back.  Maybe he misunderstands that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

202nd in fWAR out of 215 players with 200+ plate appearances... 

Along with Abreu at the bottom, you have Andrus at 188 and Kris Bryant at 196 for comparison. 

Pretty incredible falls for those three former stars. 

Abreu and Andrus isn’t that incredible. Typical end of career drop offs, although I think Abreu may have a little left in the tank

• Thanks 1

I wish he took his own advice and shut up.

He created the reason he is distracted, and he fails to realize that if he started to play like he did in 2019 and 2020 that no one would be paying attention to his personal life.  Unfortunately, he seems to want out of Chicago.  Sorry TA, you won't be missed. 

1 minute ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’m wondering if he’s even tradeable anymore? What contender is going to want a horrible defender whose bat has turned into a wet noodle, not to mention the non-baseball issues

Yes, and if he stays until then end of the season, there’s a million dollar option the Sox can pay to make him a free agent. Good luck, Tim. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yes, and if he stays until then end of the season, there’s a million dollar option the Sox can pay to make him a free agent. Good luck, Tim. 

I would be absolutely astonished if the Sox bought out TA, even if he doesn't get his s%*# together in 2023.  The next FA class for SS is awful - TA would still have value at 1/$14M, but it certainly would be nice for him to remove his head from his ass.  

• Like 1

Eh, thought it was a reasonable puff piece. If he were hitting at all, no one would care one way or the other. I have always liked watching TA play and seeing him this bad is pretty heartbreaking, but I don’t really see a moral or psychiatric component to it. Maybe I’m wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would be absolutely astonished if the Sox bought out TA, even if he doesn't get his s%*# together in 2023.  The next FA class for SS is awful - TA would still have value at 1/$14M, but it certainly would be nice for him to remove his head from his ass.  

You’re right. I could be way off on what his value is right now. We’ll see. I just know he’s probably gone at the end 2024 at the latest, and that’s good enough for me right now. 

He’s on pace for a -2 WAR, I don’t see the value in that. His WAR last year was only 1.3, that would be a negative WAR over two years. Don’t need a strong FA class to replace that. By definition, that would only require a AAAA played. Then there is the issue of correcting the dysfunction in the clubhouse. One way or another he has to be gone.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Eh, thought it was a reasonable puff piece. If he were hitting at all, no one would care one way or the other. I have always liked watching TA play and seeing him this bad is pretty heartbreaking, but I don’t really see a moral or psychiatric component to it. Maybe I’m wrong.

You think it’s reasonable that TA believes he is greatness and that is why people don’t like him anymore? That is the opposite of reasonable. He has never been at the top of the heap or comparable to those that are, let alone great.

Yet according to recent comments, TA believes that “everybody knows” that he is the best player “everytime I take the field.”
When he is nowhere close to that, then that is a high level delusion, along with the persecution complex he’s exhibiting.

He’s being criticized for poor effort and performance yet in his mind its because he’s a great black man. That is straight up ludicrous. He mentions Bo Jackson, where are all the haters for this actual great? Or Mookie Betts, who has three times the career WAR at the same age, a guy TA evidently believes everybody thinks he is a better player than every time he takes the field. A clear future HOF outfielder who plays a better shortstop than he does.

It’s nuts that these thoughts could even cross his mind let alone pass his lips

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Fire 1

• Quin changed the title to GQ: Tim Anderson Is Tired of Being the Most Misunderstood Man in Baseball