Garfein's Latest Podcast...

Lip Man 1

9 minutes ago, Highland said:

Ozzie was no cancel culture victim if such a dumb ass thing exists. He became a bad manager and should have been fired in 2011. Bringing back an old employee would be another dumb thing the FO could do. Take the team in a different direction for god sakes.

The reason I brought up Ozzie now is Sox have a first-year manager and if we all agree Pedro is a disaster you have to replace him. It'd be inappropriate to name one of his Stooge assistants so that leaves Oz or AJP as interim the rest of the season. Or Stone. And I figure Oz is best.

If he does well and appears to behave himself, hire him in October for next year; one year deals.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

The reason I brought up Ozzie now is Sox have a first-year manager and if we all agree Pedro is a disaster you have to replace him. It'd be inappropriate to name one of his Stooge assistants so that leaves Oz or AJP as interim the rest of the season. Or Stone. And I figure Oz is best.

If he does well and appears to behave himself, hire him in October for next year; one year deals.

I would like to see AJ as the permanent manager. 
We need a no BS guy and AJ seems like a guy that would light a fire under our lifeless players.

• Fire 2

26. Chicago White Sox (38-54)

The White Sox should be one of the biggest trade deadline sellers amid their disastrous season. Expect names like Lucas Giolito, Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, Reynaldo Lopez, and Keynan Middleton to be on the move. The one major bright spot has been star outfielder Luis Robert, who leads the American League with 26 homers.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I read in todays Sun Times that Pedro has 2 more years remaining on his contract.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

26. Chicago White Sox (38-54)

The White Sox should be one of the biggest trade deadline sellers amid their disastrous season. Expect names like Lucas Giolito, Lance Lynn, Joe Kelly, Reynaldo Lopez, and Keynan Middleton to be on the move. The one major bright spot has been star outfielder Luis Robert, who leads the American League with 26 homers.

Where is that from, did they forget Ohtani hasn't been traded to the NL yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I read in todays Sun Times that Pedro has 2 more years remaining on his contract.

I do not see Pedro going anywhere. I don't know how much he makes, but the Sox do not make a decision that fast.  If JR has kept Hahn through this mess, he should be the 1st to go. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, T R U said:

Where is that from, did they forget Ohtani hasn't been traded to the NL yet?

It’s wild how unimportant accuracy has become. During the HR derby, ESPN was flashing incorrect season HR totals for at least Robert and Betts, maybe more.

Like, dudes, all you have to do is not share incorrect information. It’s not that hard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

It’s wild how unimportant accuracy has become. During the HR derby, ESPN was flashing incorrect season HR totals for at least Robert and Betts, maybe more.

Like, dudes, all you have to do is not share incorrect information. It’s not that hard.

Yeah, I read that blurb and its like they just forgot about arguably the biggest superstar in the entire league right now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He said he loved Fidel Castro, in the most Anti-Castro city in America, or World beyond Havana.

He is a fucking idiot and should have zero responsibility or management over other human beings. The Sox have enough fucking idiots on their payroll and they don't need to add another one.

I was very loud about my desire to get rid of Ozzie years ago, but his opinion on some dead commie doesn’t matter to me. Everyone has stupid opinions.

There are obviously better options out there (though if they’d want the job is a whole other story), but Ozzie for the remainder of the season wouldn’t hurt. See what you got. Shake things up.

1 minute ago, Milkman delivers said:

I was very loud about my desire to get rid of Ozzie years ago, but his opinion on some dead commie doesn’t matter to me. Everyone has stupid opinions.

There are obviously better options out there (though if they’d want the job is a whole other story), but Ozzie for the remainder of the season wouldn’t hurt. See what you got. Shake things up.

Suddenly Andrus, Victor Reyes, and Erik Gonzalez are swimming in playing time over Sosa, Popeye and Colas.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

Suddenly Andrus, Victor Reyes, and Erik Gonzalez are swimming in playing time over Sosa, Popeye and Colas.

Oh man, my pessimism is about to show.

Who cares? I’m sure they are going to suck as much as everyone else from this organization. Shake it all up. Trade absolutely anyone. At this point, do things and make moves just for the sake of it. This franchise is woefully inept and has almost nothing going for it. Throw s%*# at that wall and see what happens until they get someone in charge of the whole organization that can start from scratch.

• Like 1

A few things:

In recent memory, I would agree. I said this when he was signed, as I followed the Dodgers as my NL team when Torre became their manager: Grandal is a good player to have in a great lineup, but for the most part, he only does well when everyone else is hot. If they're not, he typically will give you two good weeks with the bat before he slumps hard. For the amount of money, I hated it.

It's clear the locker room has no leader and when you try to be a leader, you get nuked/blackballed. I hated the Keuchel signing (said that back then too) because even in his good starts with Atlanta, he was laboring through them and you could tell he was done. He spoke the truth and no one wanted to hear it. TA is dealing with his own mess. Jose Abreu, a guy who never throws anyone under the bus, spoke his mind and got blasted for it as if he was a salty player. Seems like the only shot you have is being quiet and hope other players take to it. The Sox need a rowdy ass guy who's going to get on players, like a Harper or Machado to a lesser extent. The problem is, the clubhouse, and maybe the organization as a whole rejects that. And that's a huge problem. Only oh so much a manager can do in that regard. Funny thing is, I see a lot of fans who also get upset at the vocal leaders too. It's weird to me. 

Moncada, who I had high hopes for, is a failure. Kopech is the same. Your best bet for Kopech is for him to be that dominant high stress relief guy or a closer. Moncada is a defensive replacement type guy. Sad thing is, if he gets with a team that develops hitters, I feel like we're going to be upset that we gave up on him. Vaughn is a guy who just isn't it. League average at best. He has the look, but not much else. Eloy is always hurt. TA has regressed and right now his mind seems to be off baseball as a whole. Our bullpen is too expensive and worst of all, our GM flat out doesn't know how to fix it. The owner doesn't care to fix it. We have no one in the pipeline worth mentioning at this time IMO. Our drafts are rather poor. Chances are, we will sell off the team and take lesser prospects so we can get money back or have to pitch in less money on our end. 

This is what apathy with your baseball team is. Oakland is in Oakland and doesn't have the resources. We're in Chicago, and we just choose to operate this way. Won't spend big bucks on the players, farm system, scouting or the front office. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Oh man, my pessimism is about to show.

Who cares? I’m sure they are going to suck as much as everyone else from this organization. Shake it all up. Trade absolutely anyone. At this point, do things and make moves just for the sake of it. This franchise is woefully inept and has almost nothing going for it. Throw s%*# at that wall and see what happens until they get someone in charge of the whole organization that can start from scratch.

Eh, you'd still rather see the guys playing well in the minors that are MLB "ready" getting the playing time. Reyes and Gonzalez are fine as bench pieces.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

We need a no BS guy and AJ seems like a guy that would light a fire under our lifeless players.

I would love AJ for the interim. At least there is a chance he could clean up the lifelessness and toxic culture. 

18 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

That and he was a catcher, IMHO former catchers make the best managers.

They totally do. 

As in:

Joe Torre
Mike Scioscia
Joe Girardi
Bruce Bochy
Bob Melvin
Our own Gene Lamont & Al Lopez

Found these interesting stats on what positions have won the most WS titles.

Catchers: 13 different managers (won 23 titles)
Second Basemen: 10 different managers (won 18 titles)
First Basemen: 8 different managers (won 14 titles)
Left Fielders: 6 different managers (won 7 titles)
Third Basemen: 5 different managers (won 8 titles)
Pitchers: 5 different managers (won 6 titles)
Shortstops: 5 different managers (won 5 titles)
Right Fielders: 4 different managers (won 11 titles)
Center Fielders: 3 different managers (won 4 titles)

6 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Smart as you can get, good. Baseball genius, good.  No nonsense guy, good.  Never could relate to younger players, not good.

1 hour ago, nitetrain8601 said:

A few things:

In recent memory, I would agree. I said this when he was signed, as I followed the Dodgers as my NL team when Torre became their manager: Grandal is a good player to have in a great lineup, but for the most part, he only does well when everyone else is hot. If they're not, he typically will give you two good weeks with the bat before he slumps hard. For the amount of money, I hated it.

It's clear the locker room has no leader and when you try to be a leader, you get nuked/blackballed. I hated the Keuchel signing (said that back then too) because even in his good starts with Atlanta, he was laboring through them and you could tell he was done. He spoke the truth and no one wanted to hear it. TA is dealing with his own mess. Jose Abreu, a guy who never throws anyone under the bus, spoke his mind and got blasted for it as if he was a salty player. Seems like the only shot you have is being quiet and hope other players take to it. The Sox need a rowdy ass guy who's going to get on players, like a Harper or Machado to a lesser extent. The problem is, the clubhouse, and maybe the organization as a whole rejects that. And that's a huge problem. Only oh so much a manager can do in that regard. Funny thing is, I see a lot of fans who also get upset at the vocal leaders too. It's weird to me. 

Moncada, who I had high hopes for, is a failure. Kopech is the same. Your best bet for Kopech is for him to be that dominant high stress relief guy or a closer. Moncada is a defensive replacement type guy. Sad thing is, if he gets with a team that develops hitters, I feel like we're going to be upset that we gave up on him. Vaughn is a guy who just isn't it. League average at best. He has the look, but not much else. Eloy is always hurt. TA has regressed and right now his mind seems to be off baseball as a whole. Our bullpen is too expensive and worst of all, our GM flat out doesn't know how to fix it. The owner doesn't care to fix it. We have no one in the pipeline worth mentioning at this time IMO. Our drafts are rather poor. Chances are, we will sell off the team and take lesser prospects so we can get money back or have to pitch in less money on our end. 

This is what apathy with your baseball team is. Oakland is in Oakland and doesn't have the resources. We're in Chicago, and we just choose to operate this way. Won't spend big bucks on the players, farm system, scouting or the front office. 

Nothing really changes until new ownership arrives. It's that simple. 

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

It is funny how far we’ve come from people assuring me credible managers like Girardi (before he became a disaster) would want to manage the Sox?  Now it’s universally accepted and we’re like “Ozzie is the only one besides Grifol who would take the job.”

24 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

They totally do. 

As in:

Joe Torre
Mike Scioscia
Joe Girardi
Bruce Bochy
Bob Melvin
Our own Gene Lamont & Al Lopez

Found these interesting stats on what positions have won the most WS titles.

Catchers: 13 different managers (won 23 titles)
Second Basemen: 10 different managers (won 18 titles)
First Basemen: 8 different managers (won 14 titles)
Left Fielders: 6 different managers (won 7 titles)
Third Basemen: 5 different managers (won 8 titles)
Pitchers: 5 different managers (won 6 titles)
Shortstops: 5 different managers (won 5 titles)
Right Fielders: 4 different managers (won 11 titles)
Center Fielders: 3 different managers (won 4 titles)

Wasn’t Torborg a catcher too?