Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Show me where I said he was worth two?  I’ll hang up and listen.

Anderson and Kelly instead of Lopez for two top 100 prospects. We saw how much a struggling SS is worth today, we saw Kelly’s effectiveness, and Rushing of course outranks Quero for now. 

I would go 1. Montgomery 2. Schultz 3. Quero 4. Jacob Gonzalez 5. Ramos 6. Mena 7. Cannon 8. Ky Bush 9. McDougal 10. Sosa 11. Popeye.

I am higher than most on McDougal and lower on Pallette. His curve looks plus, but when I've seen him he's low 90's without much command.  If his stuff doesn't tick back up to where he was in college, he looks like just a guy to me, but what do I know?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Anderson and Kelly instead of Lopez for two top 100 prospects. We saw how much a struggling SS is worth today, we saw Kelly’s effectiveness, and Rushing of course outranks Quero for now. 

Are you trying to claim Lopez is worth the same as Anderson/Kelly? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

They literally just called up Sal Frelick.

He’s been playing RF in the games I’ve watched.  Scouting reports are mixed on his ability in CF.  I have heard their GM is very hesitant to replace his good defensive guys.  Big mistake IMO, as that offense blows.

I hate trading a top of rotation major league starter for a number 84  minor league prospect under any circumstances..including when Gio's contract was expiring. 

"Player development"  is overrated. Talent evaluation is far more important. I don't get what they see in Quero.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

First off, Ryan Pepiot is no longer a top 100 prospect.  The difference between Rushing & Quero isn’t all that substantial.  I’d put the difference in what we just received and my proposed return at about one year of Tim Anderson as a 3 win player.  Seems like my valuation was pretty much on the money.

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Are you trying to claim Lopez is worth the same as Anderson/Kelly? 

He is yes.  Kelly had a bad inning tonight so he’s valueless.  And a former 2 win SS who is a pending free agent didn’t go for much, so obviously Tim isn’t going to return anything at all. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tray said:

I hate trading a top of rotation major league starter for a number 84  minor league prospect under any circumstances..including when Gio's coytract was expiring. 

"Player development"  is overrated. Talent evaluation is far more important. I don't get what they see in Quero.

Their first possible ML capable starting catchers since McCann left and Omar Narvaez was dealt.

3 minutes ago, tray said:

I hate trading a top of rotation major league starter for a number 84  minor league prospect under any circumstances..including when Gio's contract was expiring. 

What’s the alternative, then? Let him walk after the season? Hope this terrible organization can make a proper draft pick with  the rejected QO? It’s a part of the business, when you know you have no shot in hell, of keeping a guy.

53 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

The one thing Rich Hahn hasn't seemed to be too bad at is trading for prospects. We need a catcher and left handed pitching, this gets us both. I hate to say I'm content with the trade, but initially I am.

Then let him run the Kane County Cougars. That's his peak.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Capn12 said:

What’s the alternative, then? Let him walk after the season? Hope this terrible organization can make a proper draft pick with  the rejected QO? It’s a part of the business, when you know you have no shot in hell, of keeping a guy.

I’ll never understand this idea of holding onto a pending free agent while 21 games under .500 at the deadline when you can trade said player and then use payroll saving to sign a replacement when needed.  Giolito making 10 starts for us in August & September does nothing soften our boredom for two months.

• Like 7

Little side note. Hope it works for them, man. Gio deserves some playoff baseball...and I suppose fish guy and unicorn man do too.

But after that, I hope Ohtani goes to the NL so Luis can actually compete for MVP at some point, and we pay Gio his worth to bring him back in the offseason after he's enjoyed some Cali weather. Let me dream.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He is yes.  Kelly had a bad inning tonight so he’s valueless.  And a former 2 win SS who is a pending free agent didn’t go for much, so obviously Tim isn’t going to return anything at all. 

Based on Bob's tweets about the Sox intending to compete in 2024, I only expect Lynn and Kelly to go at this point with him stating they are looking to compete in 2024.

I guess Clevinger is a remote possibility, though between his past and injury, I think the Sox have to eat that deal. Grandal and Elvis are the last two 2024 FAs.

The Five 2025 Free Agents / Buyout Eligible Players:

• Anderson (2024 $14M or unlikely $1M Buyout)
  • Moncada (2024 $24M + 2025 $5M Buyout)
  • Eloy (2024 $13M + 2025 $3M and 2026 $3M Buyouts or club options)
  • Graveman (2024 $8M)
  • Bummer (2024 $5.5M, 2025 & 2026 $1.25M Club Option buyouts ($7.25M 2025 / $7.5M 2026)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

I guess the alternative would be trading multiple players on the Sox roster to get a much better player or players

This Quero is not going to be half the player that Carlton Fisk was.

Bottom line: This trade makes the Sox worse next year than they were this year. It kicks the can down the road and absolves Hahn and Katz and Grifol . A few more trades like this and the Sox will have AA roster to put on the field next year.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Based on Bob's tweets about the Sox intending to compete in 2024, I only expect Lynn and Kelly to go at this point with him stating they are looking to compete in 2024.

I guess Clevinger is a remote possibility, though between his past and injury, I think the Sox have to eat that deal. Grandal and Elvis are the last two 2024 FAs.

• Graveman (2024 $8M)
  • Bummer (2024 $5.5M, 2025 & 2026 $1.25M Club Option buyouts ($7.25M 2025 / $7.5M 2026)

I bet we see a few of the relievers traded for close to the Majors relief prospects.  I still can’t believe they think they have a prayer next year with this broken core .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tray said:

I guess the alternative would be trading multiple players on the Sox roster to get a much better player or players

This Quero is not going to be half the player that Carlton Fisk was.

Bottom line: This trade makes the Sox worse next year than they were this year. It kicks the can down the road and absolves Hahn and Katz and Grifol . A few more trades like this and the Sox will have AA roster to put on the field next year.

You realize we can resign Giolito & Lopez if we’re willing to pay them the most money, just like if we held onto them for some reason?  Nothing has changed other than we now two legit prospects.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

• Graveman (2024 $8M)

I’m 50/50 on this Bob claim being true.  But if it is, I still see Lynn, Middleton, & Kelly being moved at minimum, with Clevinger, Graveman, & Bummer also being possibilities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I bet we see a few of the relievers traded for close to the Majors relief prospects.  I still can’t believe they think they have a prayer next year with this broken core .

If they’re serious about winning next year, then they must be planning to fire Pedro and his staff.  And the payroll cut rumors must not be true, because there is little to no help in the upper minors right now.

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic