Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Thought it was ChatGPT

Now Hahn finally comes out of hiding to crow about his "haul" of prospects to move the Sox closer to the #20-24 range of MiLB systems.

Did Hahn mention multiple championships and did he close the press conference with "You can  talk to me after the parade"

Edited by A-Train to 35th

6 hours ago, tray said:

I guess the alternative would be trading multiple players on the Sox roster to get a much better player or players

This Quero is not going to be half the player that Carlton Fisk was.

Bottom line: This trade makes the Sox worse next year than they were this year. It kicks the can down the road and absolves Hahn and Katz and Grifol . A few more trades like this and the Sox will have AA roster to put on the field next year.

You are right that a AA roster next year would technically be worse than the AAA roster we have currently.

52 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Love to make the first move in a sellers market for starters without waiting closer to the deadline until teams are in full need mode and ready to part with better prospects 

Keep in mind the NYM are just about dead and SD just lost 2 of 3 at home to PIT. If both clubs end up dumping their SPs on the market, the return for Giolito almost assuredly would have been worse.

In addition, Arte Moreno was obviously in desperation mode and willing to make a clear and early statement to Ohtani go show him they are willing to bend over backwards to try and win, after they prematurely announced Ohtani was off market, he was going to empty his bullets early one way or another and the only issue would be which club would take advantage of that. I think striking while the iron was hot on that front also made sense for us. I don't see other owners out there with a similar level of extreme desperation. Most analysts think we did quite well for rentals. I despise this FO just as much as anyone but it's tough to complain about this return. If Snell, Scherzer, Verlander, Stroman etc got dumped into this SP market, we'd be up s%*# creek without a paddle. 

And we addressed two immediate needs at once. 

The FO is comprised with overly smug, and grossly incompetent losers but what's fair is fair you have to give them their due here.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Keep in mind the NYM are just about dead and SD just lost 2 of 3 at home to PIT. If both clubs end up dumping their SPs on the market, the return for Giolito almost assuredly would have been worse.

In addition, Arte Moreno was obviously in desperation mode and willing to make a clear and early statement to Ohtani go show him they are willing to bend over backwards to try and win, after they prematurely announced Ohtani was off market, he was going to empty his bullets early one way or another and the only issue would be which club would take advantage of that. I think striking while the iron was hot on that front also made sense for us. I don't see other owners out there with a similar level of extreme desperation. Most analysts think we did quite well for rentals. I despise this FO just as much as anyone but it's tough to complain about this return. If Snell, Scherzer, Verlander, Stroman etc got dumped into this SP market, we'd be up s%*# creek without a paddle. 

The FO is comprised with overly smug, and grossly incompetent losers but what's fair is fair you have to give them their due here.

Yea no I’m gonna keep my criticism the same.  This is way early and they just want to be done with it, this sucks and f*** them

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He is yes.  Kelly had a bad inning tonight so he’s valueless.  And a former 2 win SS who is a pending free agent didn’t go for much, so obviously Tim isn’t going to return anything at all. 

I honestly think most teams have heard and seen Tim Anderson and want no part of his attitude.  No ones gonna offer anything of value for Tim Anderson is my prediction.  

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

In addition, Arte Moreno was obviously in desperation mode and willing to make a clear and early statement to Ohtani go show him they are willing to bend over backwards to try and win, after they prematurely announced Ohtani was off market, he was going to empty his bullets early one way or another and the only issue would be which club would take advantage of that. I think striking while the iron was hot on that front also made sense for us. I don't see other owners out there with a similar level of extreme desperation. Most analysts think we did quite well for rentals. I despise this FO just as much as anyone but it's tough to complain about this return. If Snell, Scherzer, Verlander, Stroman etc got dumpes into this SP market, we'd be up s%*# creek without a paddle. 

The FO is comprised with overly smug, and grossly incompetent lovers but what's fair is fair you have to give them their due here.

The Guardians Twins Marlins Brewers TB AZ Reds…not quite sure any of them are what one would describe as desperate, though.  Ohtani situation is so uniquely Arte Moreno.

There’s actually a reasonable amount of calm around the Yankees.

• Like 1

Surprised to wake up and see the news.  Sad to see Gio go, but we knew it was coming.

Putting aside how little faith we have in this organization, this seems like a good trade.  Quero gets the Sox something they desperately need in a good catching prospect.  Bush could contribute as soon as next year.  Netting a top 100 prospect (a catching one at that) for Giolito, while shedding ReyLo's salary, is a nice deal.  Time will tell how nice, though.

I find it interesting how quickly the Angels pivoted from possibly selling to definitely buying.  I hope it works out for Gio and he makes it to the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yea no I’m gonna keep my criticism the same.  This is way early and they just want to be done with it, this sucks and f*** them

What would have been your contingency plan to get a good return for Gio once SD and NYM dumped their superior pitchers on the market and Moreno blew his wad on someone else?

Where would we extract leverage from at that point in your view?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I have no issue with this - I also like them getting to work now. They have a lot of players to move and I don’t mind pulling a chip here now - Angels wanted to move fast too - so they were aggressive. Seems fair. Don’t love the players but both seem like legit prospects - but paired with Sox dev team….uh oh. 

Still - this allows you to have a few more days to move another 5-7 players and on the next waves they are going to have to dig deep on their scouting etc - cause the blue chippers aren’t coming. 

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Better yet, they did it to cover for the embarrassment of the Crosstown Cup, like it didn’t even happen.  Otherwise, Hahn was going to have to stay hidden away forever under house arrest like the Chinese foreign minister.

So now the media can go back to Bellinger’s extension/trade and Stroman’s ERA after he got that blister in London and has recorded something like an 8+ ERA over his last six starts or so.

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Surprised to wake up and see the news.  Sad to see Gio go, but we knew it was coming.

Putting aside how little faith we have in this organization, this seems like a good trade.  Quero gets the Sox something they desperately need in a good catching prospect.  Bush could contribute as soon as next year.  Netting a top 100 prospect (a catching one at that) for Giolito, while shedding ReyLo's salary, is a nice deal.  Time will tell how nice, though.

I find it interesting how quickly the Angels pivoted from possibly selling to definitely buying.  I hope it works out for Gio and he makes it to the playoffs.

Hopefully the MLB playoff rosters are filled with ex Sox players to keep the focus on Rick Hahn while he’s out on the golf course and/or giving advice to Brian Anderson at NW.

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What would have been your contingency plan to get a good return for Gio once SD and NYM dumped their superior pitchers on the market and Moreno blew his wad on someone else?

Where would we extract leverage from at that point in your view?

Are you seriously sitting here defending this front office.  I’m not going to argue scenarios that might or might not happen.  The deadline is in four days and the Sox just dealt one of the top available arms like they just wanted to get it done, traded with a farm system marginally better than our own, and you wanna be like no this is fine and great look we got maybe savages.  f*** this and f*** them, this front office sucks at their jobs 

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is actually a really good trade for us.

This is kind of a crazy comment.

It's obviously not "really good" for us. The White Sox should have re-signed Lucas Giolito. They have no pitching. These bozo's shouldn't be trading for and "developing" anyone.

If the Sox can't sign a guy like Giolito who the hell can they sign?

The return might be adequate, but it's certainly not a really good trade for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Better yet, they did it to cover for the embarrassment of the Crosstown Cup, like it didn’t even happen.  Otherwise, Hahn was going to have to stay hidden away forever under house arrest like the Chinese foreign minister.

So now the media can go back to Bellinger’s extension/trade and Stroman’s ERA after he got that blister in London and has recorded something like an 8+ ERA over his last six starts or so.

Tf is this man 

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t see how this fucks them.  They got a very nice package with a young catcher as the centerpiece.  Given they have other SPs they may want to sell and other potential sellers who could join the mix between now and Monday, selling Lucas early while he was the best pitcher on the market made all the sense in the world IMO.  I actually thought Hahn would do the opposite and botch the strong position he was in by waiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Love to make the first move in a sellers market for starters without waiting closer to the deadline until teams are in full need mode and ready to part with better prospects 

I don't know if I buy this. Something to be said about being first and identifying a desperate team (Angels) to set the market, rather than sitting back and thinking we're going to outsmart everyone and get a great deal (Harper and Machado), then left with nothing to show for it.

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic