Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I understand those that wanted Gio re-upped, but what you don't understand is that he was a player rep during labor problems, and was a little outspoken. That doesn't fly with JR. He was never going to be extended. What they ot for him , on paper, is fairly decent, which is good, because everyone else they are going to trade soon will be lucky to get you a Ryan Cordell-like return. I'm sure the Sox will f*** up the catcher.

I'm enjoying watching the orioles lately

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I get trading Giolito. I'm talking about the people on here who are advocating for trading TA and Cease. Why trade those guys and already punt next year and the years after? 

Because there’s not enough talent in the organization to compete, even with them around 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I get trading Giolito. I'm talking about the people on here who are advocating for trading TA and Cease. Why trade those guys and already punt next year and the years after? 

Fairly certain next season is punted already. Look at the roster. This team isn't going to magically be good in 2024, or even 2025. And by then, both of the guys you mentioned, are gone. If someone comes along and says "I want Dylan Cease, here are 3 of my best prospects", no chance you just turn them away, cold.

TA is gone sooner than later, anyways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hahn has done what Jerry asked over the years, took on Tony, is now cutting payroll on Jerry’s behalf and will continue to do whatever he is told.

Hahn cannot assess baseball talent, but he is cromulent in Jerry’s eyes. 

Perfectly cromulent.

• Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

With the trade of Giolito and Lopez, the Sox second biggest initial 2016 rebuild trade of Adam Eaton, that brought the Sox three pitching prospects is off the books. The three SP's Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez and Dane Dunning for Adam Eaton are all gone.

Well, we temporarily have Lynn for Dunning lol.  That's worked out quite well for Dane and the first place Rangers this year.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

2024-2025-2026 were automatically going to be tank years if this core didn't perform, the only way to speed up the transition to success is to stock the farm and try it all over again. they were never going to do the retool approach like the KW years, those days are long gone

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because there’s not enough talent in the organization to compete, even with them around 

7 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Fairly certain next season is punted already. Look at the roster. This team isn't going to magically be good in 2024, or even 2025. And by then, both of the guys you mentioned, are gone. If someone comes along and says "I want Dylan Cease, here are 3 of my best prospects", no chance you just turn them away, cold.

How people don’t understand these things is beyond me. It reminds me of a good friend who keeps renewing his season tickets. He falls for every false hope line the franchise puts out.

• Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, we temporarily have Lynn for Dunning lol.  That's worked out quite well for Dane and the first place Rangers this year.

It sure did work out well for the Rangers. It will now depend on what we get back for Lynn, when he is hopefully traded to finalize the overall grade. Thus far Adam Eaton = Edgar Quero and Ky Bush + players to be determined from Lance Lynn trade.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’m hoping Houston can win for Jose, and Anaheim can win for Lucas and Reynaldo.

I will be rooting against the team that acquires Lynn.

Texas/Houston had a dustup the other day and Pito was in the middle of it maintaining order and it made me miss the big guy. We have nobody like that anymore and losing Gio is like losing another clubhouse leader.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Quickest path to contention in my eyes is to blow it all up and restock the farm with universally recognized top prospects, if I was the GM id be asking for the moon for Cease and Robert right now.

I'd probably hang onto TA until next year, or even consider signing him to a very affordable extension. that way, if he bounces back next year you have another opportunity to beef up the farm by trading an affordable TA who's also locked up

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why stop with Cease and TA then? Robert should be traded as well since he will bring the biggest return. 

9 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

I sure as hell do turn them away cold if Rick Hahn is my GM. What good is more top prospects like Moncada and Kopech going to do to help the organization win? 

2 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

2024-2025-2026 were automatically going to be tank years if this core didn't perform, the only way to speed up the transition to success is to stock the farm and try it all over again. they were never going to do the retool approach like the KW years, those days are long gone

See ya Cease, Robert, Kopech, Vaughn, Burger, Eloy. 

Let's trade everyone away and do the propsect hoarding game again! 

1 minute ago, joejoesox said:

Quickest path to contention in my eyes is to blow it all up and restock the farm with universally recognized top prospects, if I was the GM id be asking for the moon for Cease and Robert right now.

I'd probably hang onto TA until next year, or even consider signing him to a very affordable extension. that way, if he bounces back next year you have another opportunity to beef up the farm by trading an affordable TA who's also locked up

Do you really want him making 75% of Benintendi's salary but believing he's twice the player?

3 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I would absolutely trade Cease and Robert IMO.  Burn it all down

This is what I'm talking about baby! Let's trade away Cease and Robert and win the prospect ranking game again! 

Will you guys buy tickets to the parade that Hahn throws once the Sox get a top 3 farm system again?? 

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I would absolutely trade Cease and Robert IMO.  Burn it all down

So would I, but they only did this once in JR's entire reign and it has now epically failed.

Its time to get back to the Sox I grew up loving, the ones who just won between 78-85 games a year every year and were never a threat to do anything.

• Like 1

This is what I'm talking about baby! Let's trade away Cease and Robert and win the prospect ranking game again! 

Will you guys buy tickets to the parade that Hahn throws once the Sox get a top 3 farm system again?? 

what's the alternative, given the current ruleset of the game we are playing

Rule #1: Working with a handicapped payroll

Rule #2: Unwilling to sign pitching FAs to long term deals

Rule #3: Zero organizational depth and zero player development 

What's the alternative if we don't blow it up, when they seem to be set on deflating the payroll for the next couple years

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic