Crochet wants to be a SP

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

70 innings under his belt, at least 3 injuries. Was hurt his last season in college as well. How in the world would he be able to hold up as a starter

Agreed, him wanting to prove it to himself so he can be at peace doesn’t move the needle 

I have always wanted them to try. Fact is, he can't stand up to the reliever workload. Maybe piggyback starter with someone like Scholtens once every 5 days would allow him to pitch 80-100 innings. That would be valuable to a team that currently has 2.5 starters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Crochet will never be a successful SP.  He couldn't do it consistently at Tenn.  Why in the world did the Sox draft him as the #11 pick?  His Tenn career was very mediocre at best.

...35 appearances with only 12 starts in 2 seasons...huh?  And most of those were under <=5 inning stints.  The White Sox scouting dept strikes again!

Edited by Rounding_Third

Will he have to kick Kenny Williams’ ass like Chris Sale for the opportunity?

Or is it on Rick Hahn to tussle with Garrett if Kenny retires in October? If the latter, they should fight at SoxFest to give the fans something entertaining in 2024. 

In any event, the White Sox have already wasted four years of his and Kopech’s development to satisfy Tony La Russia’s bullpen fetishes. Can’t blame him and it makes sense at this point to give it one last shot to salvage to at this point is another completely wasted Rick Hahn first round pick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

He should get that chance. Maybe he could go to AAA for the rest of the year, work on a third pitch down there and try to stretch him out a bit as a starter down there. There's not alot of innings left but at least it's something. 

In Fegan's (woo! Go Sun-Times for hiring our dude!) article, he says he'd be willing to go down to AAA and prove he can be starter.

I think that's laudable. Let him build the innings there.

Right now the team my intend on "competing" next year, but no one can possibly imagine that meaning more than the horrendous AL Central. The pressure is off next year, so the lessons for next year's FO (be it Hahn, Getz, or, mercifully, someone from outside the org) should be: Santos and Middleton show you don't need to waste draft capital or money on a bullpen + you need as much starting depth as humanly possible.

Let him go to Charlotte and see if he can succeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Or is it on Rick Hahn to tussle with Garrett if Kenny retires in October? If the latter, they should fight at SoxFest to give the fans something entertaining in 2024. 

In any event, the White Sox have already wasted four years of his and Kopech’s development to satisfy Tony La Russia’s bullpen fetishes. Can’t blame him and it makes sense at this point to give it one last shot to salvage to at this point is another completely wasted Rick Hahn first round pick.

To be fair, nothing has been wasted of Kopechs time other than his own. Awful mentality. Own worst enemy. That said with expanded rosters, I don't think it's the worst thought to give a 5th+6th combined starter a try. Kopech and Crochet would be perfect. Then of course you need 4 competent starters ahead of them.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes it was totally a Tony LaRussa bullpen fetish. It’s not like we have any reason to think Hahn orgasms at the concept of middle relief. After all, it was clearly LaRussa in 2021 who:

Tried to move Sale to the 2012 bullpen

Signed Robertson to one of the richest reliever contracts 

Signed Ohman

Signed Duke

Drafted Burdi

Traded for Ynoa

Signed Jennings 

Brought Fulmer up from AA as a reliever when he had an ErA  near 5

Traded for Colome

Signed Herrera 

Drafted Crochet in round 1 and immediately put him in the bullpen 

Put Rodon into the bullpen

Obviously all the bullpen moves are LaRussas fault as I have no examples of Hahn wasting unbelievable resources on the bullpen when LaRussa wasn’t here. Aside from the above.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Buehrle&gt;Wood said:

To be fair, nothing has been wasted of Kopechs time other than his own. Awful mentality. Own worst enemy. That said with expanded rosters, I don't think it's the worst thought to give a 5th+6th combined starter a try. Kopech and Crochet would be perfect. Then of course you need 4 competent starters ahead of them.

Michael Kopech absolutely came back from 2020 as a guy who needed innings desperately. In 2018, his control was terrible for the first half of the year, I will ask you to go find the game in June where he had half a dozen walks in under 5 innings. Then, he got into a groove with his control for 6 starts or so before he was called up, and then his elbow blew. Aside from this injury, this looked like a guy with promise, but who benefited A LOT from getting innings.

What did the white Sox do post injury? Denied him innings, put him straight into the bullpen. F*** innings for development. Hahn is a god. 2021 title worth everything!

The kid in Oliver Twist who says “please sir I want some more”? He asked Hahn “please sir I want to build my arm muscles” and Hahn’s laugh in reply set off car alarms across Illinois.

Michael Kopech’s worst enemy is Rick Hahn. He demanded things that would destroy Kopech’s career and cost him hundreds of millions of dollars in exchange for his 2021 bullpen season. This set of decisions destroyed his career exactly as expected. Now you are blaming Kopech for the decisions made by Rich Hahn. There is no better way to serve Hahn than this defense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Michael Kopech absolutely came back from 2020 as a guy who needed innings desperately. In 2018, his control was terrible for the first half of the year, I will ask you to go find the game in June where he had half a dozen walks in under 5 innings. Then, he got into a groove with his control for 6 starts or so before he was called up, and then his elbow blew. Aside from this injury, this looked like a guy with promise, but who benefited A LOT from getting innings.

What did the white Sox do post injury? Denied him innings, put him straight into the bullpen. F*** innings for development. Hahn is a god. 2021 title worth everything!

The kid in Oliver Twist who says “please sir I want some more”? He asked Hahn “please sir I want to build my arm muscles” and Hahn’s laugh in reply set off car alarms across Illinois.

Michael Kopech’s worst enemy is Rick Hahn. He demanded things that would destroy Kopech’s career and cost him hundreds of millions of dollars in exchange for his 2021 bullpen season. This set of decisions destroyed his career exactly as expected. Now you are blaming Kopech for the decisions made by Rich Hahn. There is no better way to serve Hahn than this defense.

Well, no, he denied himself innings by sitting out the year. Rick Hahn is awful, yes, though. Then, now, forever.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes it was totally a Tony LaRussa bullpen fetish. It’s not like we have any reason to think Hahn orgasms at the concept of middle relief. After all, it was clearly LaRussa in 2021 who:

Tried to move Sale to the 2012 bullpen

Signed Robertson to one of the richest reliever contracts 

Signed Ohman

Signed Duke

Drafted Burdi

Traded for Ynoa

Signed Jennings 

Brought Fulmer up from AA as a reliever when he had an ErA  near 5

Traded for Colome

Signed Herrera 

Drafted Crochet in round 1 and immediately put him in the bullpen 

Put Rodon into the bullpen

Obviously all the bullpen moves are LaRussas fault as I have no examples of Hahn wasting unbelievable resources on the bullpen when LaRussa wasn’t here. Aside from the above.

Well, we can all buy that LaRussa wanted Joe Kelly but other than that?

Hendriks?

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

We are all Hahn's (or Gollum's) minions...except that's already the exact relationship between Hahn and JR.

Associative theory for everyone attached to the organization...including players and fans?

4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Exactly correct on Kopech. I’d give Crochet a shot and see what we have, can’t hurt much.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

I’m 100% open to the idea if Crochet is willing to spend a year in AAA.  And honestly, it’s further reason to punt the 2024 season.  With the recent trades and this past draft class, we could actually fill out our minor rotations with legit prospects.  Let those guys have a year to develop without risk of rushing them to the majors in some Hail Mary attempt to win a garbage division.

AAA:

1. Crochet*
  2. Nastrini
  3. Bush*
  4. Burke
  5. Thompson

AA:

1. Mena
  2. Cannon
  3. Pallette
  4. Kelley
  5. Simas

High A:

1. Schultz*
  2. Taylor
  3. McDougal
  4. Schweitzer*
  5. Adams/Murphy/Vera

Low A:

1. Keener
  2. Gordan*
  3. LaCombe
  4. Oppor*
  5. Arias*
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m 100% open to the idea if Crochet is willing to spend a year in AAA.  And honestly, it’s further reason to punt the 2024 season.  With the recent trades and this past draft class, we could actually fill out our minor rotations with legit prospects.  Let those guys have a year to develop without risk of rushing them to the majors in some Hail Mary attempt to win a garbage division.

AAA:

1. Crochet*
  2. Nastrini
  3. Bush*
  4. Burke
  5. Thompson

AA:

1. Mena
  2. Cannon
  3. Pallette
  4. Kelley
  5. Simas

High A:

1. Schultz*
  2. Taylor
  3. McDougal
  4. Schweitzer*
  5. Adams/Murphy/Vera

Low A:

1. Keener
  2. Gordan*
  3. LaCombe
  4. Oppor*
  5. Arias*

IMO, Schultz should be in High A already and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in AA by early next season.

51 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

IMO, Schultz should be in High A already and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in AA by early next season.

They need to take their time with him simply from an innings standpoint.  And these were just intended my guesses of where these guys start.  For example, I don’t envision Mena spending too much time in AA next year, but it’s probably where I’d start him.  I’d expect Schultz to end the 2024 season in AA, but no reason to rush him there too soon.  He’s probably the only arm in the system with a true #1 ceiling so we should take our time with him.