Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

38 minutes ago, oldsox said:

In the NBA back in the early 80's, I believe, an owner made a trade that was so bad that the league had to step in.  They didn't nullify the trade, but they gave the team an extra draft choice the next year and forced the crooked, incompetent owner to sell his franchise, thus getting him out of the league.

Maybe MLB can step in here, (Just kidding).

You're probably thinking of Ted Stepien's nonsense.

He traded five consecutive first-round picks, which is why the NBA has banned trading first rounders in consecutive years.

The NBA then let new owners purchase draft picks because Stepien's trading had been so harmful. It was $500,000 per pick, which was a lot to a team at the time.

The only trade I know of where the league was like "this is s%*#" was the Chris Paul to Lakers deal, where the NBA were acting owners of the (then) Hornets.

As far as MLB overturning trades, bad/secret medicals would have to be exchanged.

MLB overturned Colin Rea for Luis Castillo for the Marlins after San Diego failed to disclose an injury. They offered the Red Sox the opportunity to overturn Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza. Painfully, the White Sox were one of the teams that seemed to also be involved but didn't get the chance to undo the moronic trade.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

You're probably thinking of Ted Stepien's nonsense.

He traded five consecutive first-round picks, which is why the NBA has banned trading first rounders in consecutive years.

The NBA then let new owners purchase draft picks because Stepien's trading had been so harmful. It was $500,000 per pick, which was a lot to a team at the time.

The only trade I know of where the league was like "this is s%*#" was the Chris Paul to Lakers deal, where the NBA were acting owners of the (then) Hornets.

As far as MLB overturning trades, bad/secret medicals would have to be exchanged.

MLB overturned Colin Rea for Luis Castillo for the Marlins after San Diego failed to disclose an injury. They offered the Red Sox the opportunity to overturn Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza. Painfully, the White Sox were one of the teams that seemed to also be involved but didn't get the chance to undo the moronic trade.

Yes, Ted Stepien.  His last Hurrah was his trading the overall #1 pick to the Lakers for a slug named Dan Ford.  Ford was at the end of the Laker's bench and was actually cut and re-signed by the Lakers....Twice. Then traded for overall #1 pick that turned out to be either James Worthy or Magic Johnson.  Worthy, I believe.  The trade had to be crooked.  The Burger trade certainly is not on that level, but it was dumb.  As I said earlier, it might have been the proverbial straw.

Miami Marlins: Jake Burger’s perseverance paying off | Miami Herald

“Hey, just tone it back a little bit,” he told himself. “Don’t trying to take huge hacks every single time you step into the box. Just slow it down.” “That’s something they don’t really prepare you for,” Burger said later on. “You know you’re coming in and you know what you need to do, but it’s tough chasing results. It’s just kind of staying within yourself.”

So far, Burger has managed to do that. Entering Monday’s series opener against the Houston Astros, Burger is hitting .317 (13 for 41) with an .879 on-base-plus-slugging mark, four doubles, one home run, six RBI and four runs scored. His RBI single in the ninth inning Sunday capped Miami’s wild, 8-7 walk-off win over the New York Yankees in which the Marlins scored five runs in the final frame. He has safely reached base in 10 of his first 11 games with the Marlins and has four multi-hit games. And Burger isn’t sacrificing power to bump up his batting average. Of Burgers 33 balls play through his first 11 games with Miami, 12 have an exit velocity of at least 100 mph — he’s one of only 18 players to have that many since Aug. 2. “I feel like I’m settling in,” Burger said.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article278218297.html#storylink=cpy

“It’s always fun just to kind of take that step away and just see how happy he (nine month old son Brooks) is,” Burger said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re on an 0-for-30 streak or 30-for-30 streak. He’s still gonna love me the same. That’s just kind of the perspective I try and give myself every single night.”

“Multiple times I’ve thought about quitting and being done with it,” Burger said. “There was a breaking point where I actually told my parents that I was thinking about it too. They both just said don’t live with regrets and that I’m gonna regret it if you quit. I’ve stuck to it and ultimately turned out the right decision for me.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article278218297.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

So many people s%*# all over Jake Burger, on this board and on Twitter.   Enjoy the fact that the guy is becoming a star for the Marlins now. 

I'm actually happy for Burger. If it's true Miami made some suggestions that Burger took to right away and this is the result then it's just more damning evidence that everyone they hire has no idea what they are doing.

Burger was 2/3 HR,(31) single, HBP in Miami's 6-3 win tonight. 4th HR since Friday. The only thing the Burger doubters can cling to now to say it was an even or good trade is the hope his current hot streak isn't indicative of permanent results.

However he's hit for average and  power and basically played like one of the best players in baseball since the trade.

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm actually happy for Burger. If it's true Miami made some suggestions that Burger took to right away and this is the result then it's just more damning evidence that everyone they hire has no idea what they are doing.

Burger was 2/3 HR,(31) single, HBP in Miami's 6-3 win tonight. 4th HR since Friday. The only thing the Burger doubters can cling to now to say it was an even or good trade is the hope his current hot streak isn't indicative of permanent results.

However he's hit for average and  power and basically played like one of the best players in baseball since the trade.

The amazing thing about people that crap on him is how clueless they are.  The guy was was high draft pick that suffered injuries.  This is not a guy that unexpectedly figured something out.

This is truly indicative of how lost this organization is.  

This was a guy that in 2018 was looking like a guy.  Well now he is a guy. 

He was too solid of a ballplayer for this organization. 

Madrigal is heading that way as well. 

Can't wait for any young player with an ounce of talent to be traded for Salvy Perez and Jameson Talllion this offseason. 

On 9/3/2023 at 12:14 AM, reiks12 said:

We gave up a 30hr hitter for a failure of a AA prospect, mercy

Boy, you sure are quick to write off Eder since you once called Burger a "wasted first round pick."

On 6/22/2019 at 6:28 PM, reiks12 said:

Wasted first round pick

But don't worry - you're not the only one in that thread calling him a bust. @Lip Man 1 joins you, plenty of @Harold's Leg Lift ragging on the guy. @greg775 repeatedly asks what the hell were the Sox thinking by drafting him.

Burger was truly the worst pick ever, until he wasn't.

Really, the only person adamant that the pick was good/solid was @Y2Jimmy0.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are people out there who honestly think the Burger trade was a good one? This Eder dude can't get anyone out in AA, turns 25 next month, and is still years away from the Show. Trading away Burger for this guy was a massive blunder. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quin said:

Boy, you sure are quick to write off Eder since you once called Burger a "wasted first round pick."

But don't worry - you're not the only one in that thread calling him a bust. @Lip Man 1 joins you, plenty of @Harold's Leg Lift ragging on the guy. @greg775 repeatedly asks what the hell were the Sox thinking by drafting him.

Burger was truly the worst pick ever, until he wasn't.

Really, the only person adamant that the pick was good/solid was @Y2Jimmy0.

Link to the thread so I can see my comments please, i didnt think of him as a bust, rather thought he would never play baseball again due to TWO ACL tears. 

and that doesnt change the fact that the Burger trade was awful. You can look back at old posts to feel better about this trade, and to feel superior to everyone, but it doesnt change the fact that we traded a 3 WAR third baseman on cheap contract for a reclamation project that is currently getting smashed to the tune of a 1000 OPS in AA. 

Edited by reiks12

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Link to the thread so I can see my comments please, i didnt think of him as a bust, rather thought he would never play baseball again due to TWO ACL tears. 

Your quote and the link is right there.

But don't worry, we can write off Eder's Tommy John and foot fracture.

• Like 1