Grade Rick Hahn's Trade Deadline Performance

South Side Hit Men

Grade Rick Hahn's Trade Deadline Performance  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Rick Hahn's 2023 Trade Deadline Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/16/2023 at 04:59 AM

Much of this was him getting out of mistakes of his own making but for me it's an easy A.

I also have zero confidence in his ability to use the savings in salary properly in FA but just evaluating it separately from Hahn performance as a whole all the trades were pretty much homeruns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

C.

The early moves were solid on paper. The decision to hang onto Cease while trading Burger for the return that came back is confusing.

Look at what st. Louis got from the Orioles. If that was the offer then it was smart to hang onto Cease

5 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

C-

It's good that they got some arms but there's no way in hell they compete for anything next year so I don't know why they kept Cease. Even if they plan on spending money, no good free agents are going to want to come here. Maybe they trade Cease and others during the winter meetings?

If the best offer was the equivalent of the Astros offering Jose back, it's an easy decision. If they were offered Ohtani he's an idiot. So who knows? 

1 minute ago, YonderLaroche said:

Should have swallowed pride and traded Cease and Robert.  They'll be gone before the next window opens anyway.  Grandal should have been moved.  Should have tacked on TA and Moncada with Robert and Cease.  Liam should be gone.  Even benetendi as salary dump. 

Grandal and Anderson have no value. He should have moved them earlier but it is what it is.

Beni I would have moved but he has term to him not sure teams were ready to commit to a LF with term when rental guys were available like Teoscar

I would D but its difficult to judge not knowing what the offer was going to be. I think the obvious strategy they employed  was trying to get as many coin flip AAA or AA starters and hopefully have them make the rotation next year. 

Can they compete next year? Sure, but only because the division we play is so miserably bad that its a disgrace we are 10 games or whatever back. 

Edited by kwill

C.

They dealt most of the contracts that were up except for the ones who probably weren’t needed (Grandal and Andrus). They got prospects in areas of need with pitching. They got out of Lynn’s, Graveman’s and Kelly’s deals.

They traded Burger, which sucks, but they got a decent sounding prospect for him. Not bad for a guy who didn’t start the year with the team. They didn’t deal Cease, but it isn’t clear what the offers were and it still is possible he could be dealt this offseason.

I am interested in seeing how Hahn or whoever the GM is improves this team in the offseason through trades and whatever free agents they could bring in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Grandal move looking worse and worse....never give a catcher in their 30s more than 2-3 years.

It was a bad and unneeded trade.  Didn’t  we already have McCann?  Much like the unneeded trade for Kimbrel when we already had a closer in Hendriks.

46 minutes ago, The Beast said:

C.

They dealt most of the contracts that were up except for the ones who probably weren’t needed (Grandal and Andrus). They got prospects in areas of need with pitching. They got out of Lynn’s, Graveman’s and Kelly’s deals.

They traded Burger, which sucks, but they got a decent sounding prospect for him. Not bad for a guy who didn’t start the year with the team. They didn’t deal Cease, but it isn’t clear what the offers were and it still is possible he could be dealt this offseason.

I am interested in seeing how Hahn or whoever the GM is improves this team in the offseason through trades and whatever free agents they could bring in.

Don’t hold your breadth.

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Voted C, like the small trades, but doubling down on his failed acquisitions (Moncada, Eloy), not landing a haul for Cease, and being delusional by thinking they will be competitive next year is just terrible. 

I get the impression the offer just wasn't there. 

The only way Hahn gets an F is dumping a guy like Cease for a bad haul. C for me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shago said:

F. This ahole created this mess and all he did this week is dump obvious players for half court shots. Didn't do anything to make us contenders soon.

Even if you gave him $600 million to spend, he would blow it all on Ohtani...then end up in the exact same position one year from now.

b-/c+

they added some interesting arms and hopefully have given themselves a few in-house catching options. the system is improved, which was needed. 

I’d have liked more but they’re going to hold onto this contention delusion. it’s bizarre. 

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They got a better deal for Flaherty.

The problem is 2019 is the last year he was really good.

They got a bajillion position player prospects. To me its surprising that these two organizations couldn't get together to make a trade. 

Maybe the White Sox were demanding Jackson Holliday which I would not put in a trade as well. But they could  have offered 3 top 100 position prospects and only put a dent in their farm system. 

Who knows.. 

Edited by kwill

The problem with the Sox is a lack of a concise strategy. If they were gonna spend $80-100M in free agency next year I could kind of understand why they held onto so many assets. But seems like they're just setting themselves up for another sell year next year and at likely a lower return. The return for Burger wasn't half bad, but I feel if there was anyone offering more for Vaughn you do that in a heartbeat. It just feels like TA, Cease, Vaughn, Bummer and Eloy are all likely to get traded by the deadline next year, so why not just do the fill tear down now.

5 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

The problem with the Sox is a lack of a concise strategy. If they were gonna spend $80-100M in free agency next year I could kind of understand why they held onto so many assets. But seems like they're just setting themselves up for another sell year next year and at likely a lower return. The return for Burger wasn't half bad, but I feel if there was anyone offering more for Vaughn you do that in a heartbeat. It just feels like TA, Cease, Vaughn, Bummer and Eloy are all likely to get traded by the deadline next year, so why not just do the fill tear down now.

Because the fall in season tickets would escalate from an MLB leading 25% this year down yet another 30-35% in all likelihood...and it might happen anyway.

A lot of more casual fans will be unhappy they traded Burger for someone they've never heard of.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1