The Manager

WBWSF

It looks to me as if the team is just going thru the motions now.  Last night the Rangers hit a double play ball to Moncada and he threw the ball to first base. Steve Stone thought that Moncada forgot how many outs there were. I was hoping the team would play Burger every day at third base the rest of the season. Instead they traded him, which tells me Moncada will be the third baseman in 2024.  Anyways this looks like the last 2 months of the season are going to really be ugly. I can't help but wonder if the manager is going to survive the rest of the season. If this team continues to lose I wouldn't be surprised if they fired him before the season ends.

• Like 1

That would be a huge departure from the organization's usual procedures. Ozzie had to quiet quit and Tony had a health issue to be allowed off of this sinking ship. 

Pedro will, like almost every WS manager before him, will work every day of his contract. In 2026 they will announce he isn't being offered a contract extension and some random former player will take his place. 

• Like 3
  • TLR 1

44 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

It looks to me as if the team is just going thru the motions now.  Last night the Rangers hit a double play ball to Moncada and he threw the ball to first base. Steve Stone thought that Moncada forgot how many outs there were. I was hoping the team would play Burger every day at third base the rest of the season. Instead they traded him, which tells me Moncada will be the third baseman in 2024.  Anyways this looks like the last 2 months of the season are going to really be ugly. I can't help but wonder if the manager is going to survive the rest of the season. If this team continues to lose I wouldn't be surprised if they fired him before the season ends.

Steve Stone who I’m sure is financially set and could care less if he was fired would be the perfect guy to call out the troubles with this organization including the manager and most of the players, what we’ve seen this year is an utter disgrace and beyond embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Steve Stone who I’m sure is financially set and could care less if he was fired would be the perfect guy to call out the troubles with this organization including the manager and most of the players, what we’ve seen this year is an utter disgrace and beyond embarrassing.

Steve said Pedro needs a chance. He pointedly did not call him out this week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It would surprise me more if this bunch actually showed fight down the stretch as opposed to acting the exact same way they have been acting since Tim hit the walkoff in Iowa, which has been a slow steady trudge downward

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Stone is far too beholden to management to call them out while in their employ.  Maybe after he retires, or if he’s forced out for someone new.  But not until or before. 

• Like 2

It seems pretty obvious to me that Pedro never got the buy in from these players, and they don’t take him seriously.  I don’t think they would respect any inexperienced replacement at this point either.  We are a far cry from the Ricky’s Boys Don’t Quit days, and I can’t believe I actually miss anything about the Ricky Renteria era, but here we are.  Firing Pedro doesn’t fix anything, the clubhouse is toxic and broken, and needs to be fumigated.  Only a top down house cleaning fixes this, and that’s sadly not on the horizon. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Stone is far too beholden to management to call them out while in their employ.  Maybe after he retires, or if he’s forced out for someone new.  But not until or before. 

Stone is 76 years old and has never managed a day in his life nor worked in a teams front office.  I think that his time for that job is probably over 

I think it is kinda funny that the one move Pedro made that worked, namely moving Benintendi to leadoff, has totally been abandoned. It sure seems to me that Timmy  was motivated to play better out of the all star break because he was looking to get traded. Now he is back in the doldrums. The move of Benintendi to the 5th spot in the lineup makes absolutely no sense imo. BTW, I will admit that although it worked it took Pedro a helluva long time to replace Anderson with Benintendi at the top of the lineup.

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It seems pretty obvious to me that Pedro never got the buy in from these players, and they don’t take him seriously.  I don’t think they would respect any inexperienced replacement at this point either.  We are a far cry from the Ricky’s Boys Don’t Quit days, and I can’t believe I actually miss anything about the Ricky Renteria era, but here we are.  Firing Pedro doesn’t fix anything, the clubhouse is toxic and broken, and needs to be fumigated.  Only a top down house cleaning fixes this, and that’s sadly not on the horizon. 

If I remember correctly they played with some life for about a week when Cairo took over last year. But that did not last long. I am not sure anyone could make this crew play hard. That being said, Pedro Grifol has done little to nothing well to keep his job.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Stone has, in fact, done the complete opposite. He has become a spokesman for JR, and is giving fans a bunch of BS. Meanwhile, the team is going through the motions. At this point, there is little reason to watch the team. There's nothing to see no matter what Stone says. This is as depressing as it can get.

• Like 6

Does Pedro do anything good? Are there examples of him optimizing the roster?

In the extremely unlikely chance that there’s a FO change, whoever is in charge will hopefully be allowed to change managers but I understand if they wanted to see Pedro can do in 2024 before finding a new manager in 25

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wegner said:

I think it is kinda funny that the one move Pedro made that worked, namely moving Benintendi to leadoff, has totally been abandoned. It sure seems to me that Timmy  was motivated to play better out of the all star break because he was looking to get traded. Now he is back in the doldrums. The move of Benintendi to the 5th spot in the lineup makes absolutely no sense imo. BTW, I will admit that although it worked it took Pedro a helluva long time to replace Anderson with Benintendi at the top of the lineup.

Back today at leadoff.

Burger hitting fifth for Marlins.

9 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Does Pedro do anything good? Are there examples of him optimizing the roster?

In the extremely unlikely chance that there’s a FO change, whoever is in charge will hopefully be allowed to change managers but I understand if they wanted to see Pedro can do in 2024 before finding a new manager in 25

Same questions about Hahn Haber Getz ...

5 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Saw that. Cease was pissed

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

You're right Grifol never got the buy-in and respect from the players. But guess what, that is on Grifol. He came into the initial press conference with some pretty bold statements of how he was going to change the culture and effort on this team. When a guy like Bruce Botchy goes to the Rangers and changes that team's culture, he did it because he is a leader. There was nobody stopping Grifol from taking control of this team and earning that respect. That is what leaders do.

I'm sorry but Grifol failed miserably and firing him does make a big difference for next year. I know this team will suck for several more years, but at least it would be nice to have a manager who could demand respect, effort and work more on baseball fundamentals. If Francona or Botchy or any other great manager had this Sox team over the next few years, the team would still be bad. However at least there would be effort, passion and players playing smarter baseball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Last night the Rangers hit a double play ball to Moncada and he threw the ball to first base. Steve Stone thought that Moncada forgot how many outs there were. 

I didn't watch a second of the game last night.  So their "elite 3B" didn't have his head in the game.  Par for the course.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Good point, Steve's not dumb. He knows this is hopeless organization. The radio stations should interview Hawk once a week to drive management crazy. He'll blast these horrible coaches, manager and players.

6 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I am serious.
And don't call me on Shirley. 

Anyway, he's better than his predecessors but I don't see much compelling.

He’s drafted two top 40 prospects while selecting in the teens or later.  That’s super impressive.  Need to separate the talent identification from the player development.  Not Shirley’s fault that Getz & KW Jr run that show.

• Like 1