Fire Pedro Grifol

Chicago White Sox

22 hours ago, GREEDY said:

Did the Sox fire any staff that was still under contract?

Or retain any staff that wasn't under contract?  

I feel like this is the most telling sign that Getz is here to balance the budget.  

Jose Castro, Daryl Boston, and Chris Johnson were let go/left. I'd guess that Castro probably had more term on his deal considering he was one and done, but the Sox don't typically disclose that information for whatever reason. 

I don't know if this string is the best place for this, but I just read an interesting article on Fangraphs about how horrible the White Sox were with roster depth. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-not-to-build-for-depth/

Spoiler alert: They had no one to plug in from the minors, their waiver churn didn't work, and they just ended up playing guys who weren't ready. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I don't know if this string is the best place for this, but I just read an interesting article on Fangraphs about how horrible the White Sox were with roster depth. 

Spoiler alert: They had no one to plug in from the minors, their waiver churn didn't work, and they just ended up playing guys who weren't ready. 

But they were remarkably healthy – the second-healthiest team in the game, by some accounts – and so they ended up with a normal amount of playing time allocated to players on the initial roster despite all the fill-ins needed for the players who got traded.

Wasn't there some poster during the year who kept saying this?

14 minutes ago, wegner said:

Their team was on the field and that was the problem.

How on God's green earth did Rick/Kenny/Tony/Pedro/Jerry etc screw this up so badly??

Literally went from a team many picked to win the WS to one of the three worst teams in baseball within two years

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Great article and some pretty good comments too. It just goes to show how little JR invests in acquiring and developing youth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Isn't this what happened in 2013? All the starters tanked, and they didn't replace them. 

Dunn really set them back, but that was 2011.

This was around the time they brought in Abreu and Avisail Garcia actually looked legit...then you had Sale Q, Anderson coming.  Eaton later.

The big flops of course were Beckham and Viciedo, though.

Nothing ever lined up together, though.

Then there was the off season of Melky Robertson and LaRoche...which led to more disasters internally.

But Hahn always won the offseason, lol.  There was that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Their team was on the field and that was the problem.

How on God's green earth did Rick/Kenny/Tony/Pedro/Jerry etc screw this up so badly??

Arrogance that they thought they knew better than everyone else, dysfunction in the front office and an unwillingness by JR to finish the rebuilding job via acquiring additional talent.  

• Love 1

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Literally went from a team many picked to win the WS to one of the three worst teams in baseball within two years

This is a franchise that has actually gone from winning the World Series to being one of the worst teams in baseball within two years. So, it’s not exactly surprising.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Dunn really set them back, but that was 2011.

This was around the time they brought in Abreu and Avisail Garcia actually looked legit...then you had Sale Q, Anderson coming.  Eaton later.

The big flops of course were Beckham and Viciedo, though.

Nothing ever lined up together, though.

Then there was the off season of Melky Robertson and LaRoche...which led to more disasters internally.

But Hahn always won the offseason, lol.  There was that.

I had to read that twice because I was sure his last name was Cabrera 😆

• 2 weeks later...