Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

How about JR moves the team he owns to Mexico City and we embrace a new *expansion* team? 

To be honest, I think this is all created to take the attention away from how bad the team is. More talking about this than the team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

Since the White Sox brand has done so little maybe try Black Sambos for a change of color?? (JOKE)

Or maybe Chicago Crime Dogs?? 

Nashville spends a Lotta dough for all this hype. Give me Charlotte 2.6M the anti-Atlanta. 

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

How about JR moves the team he owns to Mexico City and we embrace a new *expansion* team? 

Because we’ve been attached to *this* team  for years on end, and it’s not as simple as adopting a new expansion team.  Why can’t you get it through your thick skull for f***’s sake.  We want this chicago team to be good, not to watch it go elsewhere and adopt a cheap facsimile.  

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, pcq said:

Nashville spends a Lotta dough for all this hype. Give me Charlotte 2.6M the anti-Atlanta. 

So no one's calling this guy on his obvious racist post, joke or not?

Honestly, the best thing about being a White Sox fan over these past 50-plus years is hanging at both old and new Sox Park with the great crowds -- the most diverse in the city.

But the worst thing --other than the incompetent management for much of the time (outside of KW's 2000-2012 stint) -- is the core group of racist fans like this guy. And believe me, as someone who went to school near Sox Park, there's a lot of core racist Sox fans out there. They're the ones who make me rethink my allegiance to this team.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, waltwilliams said:

Honestly, the best thing about being a White Sox fan over these past 50-plus years is hanging at both old and new Sox Park with the great crowds -- the most diverse in the city.

But the worst thing --other than the incompetent management for much of the time (outside of KW's 2000-2012 stint) -- is the core group of racist fans like this guy. And believe me, as someone who went to school near Sox Park, there's a lot of core racist Sox fans out there. They're the ones who make me rethink my allegiance to this team.

What exactly is racist about it? What am I missing?

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Because we’ve been attached to *this* team  for years on end, and it’s not as simple as adopting a new expansion team.  Why can’t you get it through your thick skull for f***’s sake.  We want this chicago team to be good, not to watch it go elsewhere and adopt a cheap facsimile.  

I am done with *this* owner. I am not done with a Chicago baseball team. But enjoy the JR family for the rest of your life. He moves his team out of the city (dumb move by a dumb owner) and I will embrace the next team that moves in. Sorry if that offends you. I love the city more than this asshat of an owner. 

My wishes

JR sells and the team stays in Chicago. Best option, not likely 

Unacceptable are additional decades of this family ownership but the team stays in Chicago. 

Team moves and Chicago stays a one team city. Unacceptable, worst of the options. 

JR threatens to move, Illinois and city say don't let the door hit you on the ass and an expansion franchise moves into Comiskey or whatever they want to call it. Not as good as #1 better to me then #2. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waltwilliams said:

You're funny. I was working for Obama before you knew he existed. I am sorry you were offended. I posted many times that TA was left to rot without any AA teammates. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

JR threatens to move, Illinois and city say don't let the door hit you on the ass and an expansion franchise moves into Comiskey or whatever they want to call it.

No way in the world MLB will let Chicago have an expansion team. If we lose the Sox, it's Cubs forever. Chicago has been lucky to have two teams. Isn't projected population in Chicago/Illinois on a fast decline cause of taxes and other reasons? No way in heck we get another team. If Jerry were younger I betcha this time he's off to the suburbs following the Bears' lead. Even Jerry must know a stadium near the United Center part of town is ridiculous idea. Soldiers Field sounds OK but also would be doomed to failure imo. .. Since Jerry is old I say he either heads out to Bears-land in Arlington or moves team if he can't get a good deal. No more 35th and Shields; no more Chicago.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

1) The Tampa Bay Rays are  suppose to announce tomorrow that they will build a new stadium near the present one. 2)  The owners of the Rays say that they're going to pay half of the $1 billion  cost of the stadium. It looks like the days of cities paying for  all of the cost of new baseball stadiums is over. The Owner of the Athletics is suppose to be paying 3/4 of the cost for the  new stadium in Vegas. 3) If JR wants a new stadium it looks to me as if he will have to pay for some of it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

1) The Tampa Bay Rays are  suppose to announce tomorrow that they will build a new stadium near the present one. 2)  The owners of the Rays say that they're going to pay half of the $1 billion  cost of the stadium. It looks like the days of cities paying for  all of the cost of new baseball stadiums is over. The Owner of the Athletics is suppose to be paying 3/4 of the cost for the  new stadium in Vegas. 3) If JR wants a new stadium it looks to me as if he will have to pay for some of it.

And they are taking less than optimal deals in terms of location.

Tampa will continue to face the isolation issues being on the wrong side of the bridge (not closer to the core Tampa Bay fan base).

Oakland’s Tropicana Hotel site is much smaller than the original proposed site across I 15 where the Wild Wild West stood. They will barely fit the stadium at the current on strip site, which will limit development revenue and also limit locals interest in going to games with the constant congestion on the Las Vegas Strip.

Chicago shouldn’t provide a penny beyond perhaps street/sewer infrastructure if they move from 35th and Shields. Hopefully Jerry will be gone soon, and a reasonable replacement finds the benefits of staying in Chicago.

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And they are taking less than optimal deals in terms of location.

Tampa will continue to face the isolation issues being on the wrong side of the bridge (not closer to the core Tampa Bay fan base).

Oakland’s Tropicana Hotel site is much smaller than the original proposed site across I 15 where the Wild Wild West stood. They will barely fit the stadium at the current on strip site, which will limit development revenue and also limit locals interest in going to games with the constant congestion on the Las Vegas Strip.

Chicago shouldn’t provide a penny beyond perhaps street/sewer infrastructure if they move from 35th and Shields. Hopefully Jerry will be gone soon, and a reasonable replacement finds the benefits of staying in Chicago.

I would think the game plan for JR is to build a domed stadium on land he bought by the United Center. I think he would want the present hotel/motel tax that paid for the new Comiskey Park and the new Soldier Field  be extended to the new stadium. I   feel if he agreed to pay for half of the new stadium they would be able to come to an agreement.

Edited by WBWSF

31 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Big mistake building almost next door the The Trop, residents who live in Tampa and the suburbs and towns north of the city for the most part won’t make the trip down to which is basically south St. Pete.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:38 PM, greg775 said:

No way in the world MLB will let Chicago have an expansion team. If we lose the Sox, it's Cubs forever. Chicago has been lucky to have two teams. Isn't projected population in Chicago/Illinois on a fast decline cause of taxes and other reasons? No way in heck we get another team. If Jerry were younger I betcha this time he's off to the suburbs following the Bears' lead. Even Jerry must know a stadium near the United Center part of town is ridiculous idea. Soldiers Field sounds OK but also would be doomed to failure imo. .. Since Jerry is old I say he either heads out to Bears-land in Arlington or moves team if he can't get a good deal. No more 35th and Shields; no more Chicago.

Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head.

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I would think the game plan for JR is to build a domed stadium on land he bought by the United Center. I think he would want the present hotel/motel tax that paid for the new Comiskey Park and the new Soldier Field  be extended to the new stadium. I   feel if he agreed to pay for half of the new stadium they would be able to come to an agreement.

I believe that land purchase is for long term development around the stadium (hotels, retail). He could be purchasing so he can sell to the ISFA at a sweetheart record profit agreement as he did White Sox land in 1987.

A baseball stadium and the additional parking to accommodate 40,000 will require more land Jerry has now. Doesn’t mean eminent domain land grabs won’t happen again on behalf of Jerry for all additional land he demands.

46 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Big mistake building almost next door the The Trop, residents who live in Tampa and the suburbs and towns north of the city for the most part won’t make the trip down to which is basically south St. Pete.

Not sure why geography would affect a site for a new Trop. I am a snowbird and have attended Rays games in April and Red Sox the rest of the year. Red Sox fans think nothing of driving 90 minutes or more to attend Red Sox games. In addition, Boston is a very busy traffic area in all directions around Boston.  Tampa is a moderate traffic area at best but is growing somewhat the last few years. It seems to me that Tampa or St Pete are not a real baseball towns. Maybe the weather provides too many other thngs to do. In addition, many people are transplanted from all around the country and settled in Florida so  their fan base is limited. They don't draw even when the team is having several years in a row of success.  But it looks like the Trop is going to get a new stadium. My guess is by 2030, the newness will wear out and the team will be back to drawing small crowds.  

Miami draws limited crowds as well. 

There are plenty or buildings and land around GRF that can be acquired. IMO, Sox will likely stay there regardless of ownership whether they rebuild or not.

The only  potentially viable option for a new stadium location might be Soldier Field if the Bears move and a deal can be worked out with the City who would then be looking for a new tenant.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Not sure why geography would affect a site for a new Trop. I am a snowbird and have attended Rays games in April and Red Sox the rest of the year. Red Sox fans think nothing of driving 90 minutes or more to attend Red Sox games. In addition, Boston is a very busy traffic area in all directions around Boston.  Tampa is a moderate traffic area at best but is growing somewhat the last few years. It seems to me that Tampa or St Pete are not a real baseball towns. Maybe the weather provides too many other thngs to do. In addition, many people are transplanted from all around the country and settled in Florida so  their fan base is limited. They don't draw even when the team is having several years in a row of success.  But it looks like the Trop is going to get a new stadium. My guess is by 2030, the newness will wear out and the team will be back to drawing small crowds.  

Miami draws limited crowds as well. 

The Lightning and the Bucs draw very well as they are located in Tampa which is where the majority of the people in the metro area live, that and St. Pete is a ghost town from May through the holidays. There’s also a populated area east of St. Pete which if people want to go to Rays games either going north or especially south have to go pretty far out of the way what with the Bay itself in the way. Bottom line is that geography does play a big part with the Rays attendance problems.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

To me, the most sense, to mitigate spending dollars, is using up land near the United Center. He can make it the City's largest entertainment district and get the most money on return with parking garage revenue alone.

I, personally, would love Soldier Field in the summer, especially if the stadium would face towards the lake, but getting there would be tough if the Sox were to be any good.

I just don't think Jerry has the desire unless it's a sweetheart deal and the closest to that is going to be by the UC. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head.

Strongly disagree.

And I understand why JR would start making noise about the stadium situation but the law of averages say this is all a moot point. More than likely he won't be around to deal with this in six years. So I wouldn't worry about this. 

22 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Strongly disagree.

And I understand why JR would start making noise about the stadium situation but the law of averages say this is all a moot point. More than likely he won't be around to deal with this in six years. So I wouldn't worry about this. 

I’m almost to the point of not worrying about anything White Sox related.

• Like 1