Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

4 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I am not sure I have read a thread on any forum, ever, that displays as much ignorance towards as many topics, as I've seen in this thread. Fucking bravo Soxtalk. Bravo. 

Chicago is not a dangerous city for 99% of the population. Period. And nobody who has actually traveled around this country would even remotely consider Chicago "unsafe". Especially compared to rural America... Try driving through bumfuck Alabama, Northern Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and come back and talk to me. When I broke down in "the hood", I had folks come out of their "crackhouses" offering to help me out... When that happened in rural Alabama, I had fucking meth heads carrying shotguns, trying to extort me for assistance in changing a fucking tire, because we happened to have a flat in their shithole town. f*** right off with the "Democrat run cities are cesspools of violence" s%*#, because nobody who actually leaves their safety bubble in the suburbs, believes it. 

P.S. Six of the top ten most likely to be murdered cities in this country, are in Missouri, Ohio, and Louisiana. Buy a clue.

You need a new car. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Chicago has more murders than anywhere else in the country and it's not even close. The per capita stuff is ridiculous when the cities being compared are far closer in population to a single Chicago neighborhood than Chicago itself. Austin the neighborhood has 100k people and would be statistically the dangerous place in the Western world if you isolated it out. Its ridiculous to use some affluent northshore area to ignore stuff like that. Philly is really the only place that compares to Chicago on the whole. That said Bridgeport is awesome. There's some shitty places around it though. You don't want it's rep slipping because other idiots around it.

This right here, well put. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I am not sure I have read a thread on any forum, ever, that displays as much ignorance towards as many topics, as I've seen in this thread. Fucking bravo Soxtalk. Bravo. 

Chicago is not a dangerous city for 99% of the population. Period. And nobody who has actually traveled around this country would even remotely consider Chicago "unsafe". Especially compared to rural America... Try driving through bumfuck Alabama, Northern Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and come back and talk to me. When I broke down in "the hood", I had folks come out of their "crackhouses" offering to help me out... When that happened in rural Alabama, I had fucking meth heads carrying shotguns, trying to extort me for assistance in changing a fucking tire, because we happened to have a flat in their shithole town. f*** right off with the "Democrat run cities are cesspools of violence" s%*#, because nobody who actually leaves their safety bubble in the suburbs, believes it. 

P.S. Six of the top ten most likely to be murdered cities in this country, are in Missouri, Ohio, and Louisiana. Buy a clue.

Ironic that this is by far the most ignorant post on this topic. You need to get out more my friend. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think this thread highlights how people have comfort zones. We accept what we are familiar with while being cautious in unfamiliar places. That is probably a great survival skill through the millennium. 

I've lived in a couple locations that people have negative impressions of. I get the frustration of trying to correct those impressions. When someone says Chicago, my images are all positive and all over the city. I want those nay sayers to see the Chicago I see. When someone says Texas, same thing. Positive images from the gulf shore beaches to the mountains of west Texas and a few great cities in between. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

I went to the game last night. As I was  walking towards the park a young woman from a radio station approached me and asked if I would like to be interviewed. Naturally i said yes. She asked me if I knew about the shooting that occured the previous night at the game. I said yes I knew about it. She then said, aren't you afraid of being here after last nights shooting? I said no. I've been coming here and the Old Comiskey Park my entire life and there has never been any trouble. Last night was a one time incident. She then said, have you ever been scared going to any  sporting event? I said yes. I don't  go Wrigley Field anymore because of all the car jackings and armed robberies in that area. She then asked me for my name and thanked me for the interview.

What station?

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It's in an uncensored message board. How could it be wrong? 👀

As is this one. Far more plausible explanation than magic bullet(s) from 8 + blocks away striking two people, let alone at least one witness on record hearing shots in the park.

Pristine

LTgwLmpwZw

Magic

Z2lm.gif

32 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What station?

As is this one. Far more plausible explanation than magic bullet(s) from 8 + blocks away striking two people, let alone at least one witness on record hearing shots in the park.

Pristine

LTgwLmpwZw

Magic

Z2lm.gif

Cool so will you bet $50 on your keen detective skills?

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Cool so will you bet $50 on your keen detective skills?

$50 bills are bad luck, but I’d bet more with people I knew, could collect or pay directly. Determined via real evidence, not unsubstantiated statements either in a cop or Sox message board (by me or others) or BS CYA follow up statement(s) without court worthy evidence issued by the White Sox or CPD/City. 

Without a visible altercation / fight, which one witness stated but no further evidence has yet emerged, the likely explanation at this point is an unintentional discharge of a concealed weapon brought in by the person in their group or immediately adjacent, based on the limited video and witness statements.

Puts the Sox in a bad spot as it exposes a breech in their security / metal detectors, and also opens up potential lawsuits by the victims if it came from another group within the stadium.

On the flip side, if Sox/CPD quickly determined the persons shot were due to an unintentional discharge, it did make it reasonable to continue the game and conclude fans were safe.

They responsibly blocked off the few sections to allow police work, and cancelled the concert to allow police to conclude their work without interruption, in a lit ballpark (lights would have gone out for the concert / fireworks),

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

I think this thread highlights how people have comfort zones. We accept what we are familiar with while being cautious in unfamiliar places. That is probably a great survival skill through the millennium. 

I've lived in a couple locations that people have negative impressions of. I get the frustration of trying to correct those impressions. When someone says Chicago, my images are all positive and all over the city. I want those nay sayers to see the Chicago I see. When someone says Texas, same thing. Positive images from the gulf shore beaches to the mountains of west Texas and a few great cities in between. 

Seriously? My impressions of Chicago are that of fear now. And I grew up on 103rd Street South before moving to Lisle. Visited parents twice a year til they passed away. Now I am scared to death about perhaps getting mugged or carjacked on two trips I have planned for Oct and november. I'm scared to death and that's sad. Maybe I need to get mental help on this issue but that's how I feel. Not that I'm comfy in KC area either. I know a guy whose wife is a doctor They got car jacked at 11 a.m. on a Thursday in a "safe" suburb. Yes they did.

Edited by greg775
  • TLR 1

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

You can love the positives in your city while also acknowledging the negatives. It's the only way things improve. In my experience those denying the worst of this city haven't the slightest clue how bad parts of it truly are. And that's okay. Just don't pretend everything is fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

You can love the positives in your city while also acknowledging the negatives. It's the only way things improve. In my experience those denying the worst of this city haven't the slightest clue how bad parts of it truly are. And that's okay. Just don't pretend everything is fine. 

I was thinking more about the "if I go to the city I will be car jacked and die" crowd. San Antonio where I live is generally regarded as a safe city, but there are areas that people go to commit crimes and where some have crimes committed against them while there for the vices. Unfortunately there are also folks that live there that are affected. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Seriously? My impressions of Chicago are that of fear now. And I grew up on 103rd Street South before moving to Lisle. Visited parents twice a year til they passed away. Now I am scared to death about perhaps getting mugged or carjacked on two trips I have planned for Oct and november. I'm scared to death and that's sad. Maybe I need to get mental help on this issue but that's how I feel. Not that I'm comfy in KC area either. I know a guy whose wife is a doctor They got car jacked at 11 a.m. on a Thursday in a "safe" suburb. Yes they did.

Fox News has broken your mind.

There's a reason "per capita" is used for reporting statistics.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I drive the Dan Ryan at night often and that scares my wife because of how often drivers are shooting at other cars. It was not that long ago that a woman was killed that way going home from Sox Park. Violent crime has gotten worse in the city, it just has. I don't understand how people can deny that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Continually evoking "Fox News" as a condemnation is lazy and uninspired.

And per capita is simply a way to push aside uncomfortable facts to pigeon hole a point. Per capita the Fillmore neighborhood is the deadliest in the country. Per capita Rogers Park is one of the safest neighborhoods in the country. Both facts neglect the bigger picture and can be manipulated for a one sided argument.

Bottom line is that violent crime is reaching parts of the city it never used to....the west loop has exploded with carjackings, the south loop has quadrupled shootings and murders since pre-2020, gold coast, Logan Square, all vast increases. My wife worries about taking our kids on the dan Ryan to the game. Earlier this year I tried to reassure we'd be careful as we were preparing to go. My words fell on deaf ears as traffic was backed up from....an expressway shooting. 

It sucks, but I'm not going to ignore it or downplay it because I love my city. I'm going to acknowledge because I love what my city use to be and I'd like it back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Keep the politics out of this so we can hopefully reach the conclusion.  Report now saying it’s likely the shot was inside the park(duh)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38278821/shooting-white-sox-game-likely-involved-gun-fired-park

If that is the ultimate conclusion,  the White Sox and JR should be significantly fined by MLB.  for the security breach, and for not doing anything for the safety of the fans in attendance let alone the players and umpires after the shooting occurred.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

I feel like they very much know where that bullet came from and that’s why they were not alarmed, why they did not make any moves or notify anyone, why they did not cancel the game, and why they “cancelled” the post game.  Just a long “we need time to figure out how to tell everyone” moment

• Like 1

Waller said the police department initially requested that the game be halted after the shooting was discovered.

The White Sox said Saturday that they were not aware at first that a woman injured during the game was shot, and that the Chicago Police Department would have stopped play if officers thought it was unsafe to continue.

Hmmmmm.....

On 8/26/2023 at 6:33 AM, MikeKreevich said:

My guess.  26 year old's concealed gun discharged, hitting her friend/relative in the leg. Odd bit of the story has the 26 year old with a graze wound to her stomach, refusing medical attention.

Looks like I was close, however it was the 46 year old whose gun went off.

https://cwbchicago.com/2023/08/gunfire-that-injured-2-sox-fans-likely-originated-inside-ballpark-chicago-police.html

Who are these women that were shot? Are they okay? Are they being protected because they did something stupid and would embarrass someone or an organization? Did they recover a gun?

it just seems fishy that the police feel strongly it happened inside but we can’t get the full details. 

• Texsox changed the title to Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)