Cleveland claims Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez

South Side Hit Men

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Smart move by Cleveland since I assume if they make a qualifying offer to Gio and he refuses they get a draft pick.

Does that reset?
I thought that went away (and stayed with the player) once he was traded.

46 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's a business but yeah can't imagine Giolito happy about going to Cleveland.

I disagree. I would think a player at this juncture wants to be picked up by a team with a chance at the playoffs. After the season, Gio can still decide where he wants to go next year. So at least Cleveland is still in the race and Francona is well liked by his players. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

kind of feel bad for him. its only been 7 games since he was traded but I think he pitched himself out of a 100M+ contract

He's probably in line for a 1 year prove it deal at this point. If he can somehow put together a decent 2024, he'll only be 30 and could sign a large 3-4 year deal...but not after this season. 

On 9/1/2023 at 3:41 AM, hogan873 said:

He's got to be more pissed that a team traded for him and then threw him away like nothing.

No, it was all about the luxury tax threshold.  They couldn't find a taker for Grichuk, so they're now stuck with a pick in the 120 range versus 60 if Ohtani signs elsewhere....2nd round falling down to 4th for compensation.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

One could even argue that it is being away from Katz that might have affected him...

I wonder if the Dodgers could improve him and Cle is good at developing pitching.

Plus I wonder what it's like for a player to go to a hated rival.

On 8/31/2023 at 2:41 PM, hogan873 said:

He's got to be more pissed that a team traded for him and then threw him away like nothing.

It's a crazy circle. If he pitched like they expected him to, they would be in a playoff race and he stays. They were buyers at the deadline, then sellers when who they bought didn't work out. 

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

I wonder if the Dodgers could improve him and Cle is good at developing pitching.

Plus I wonder what it's like for a player to go to a hated rival.

It's a job. Most of those rivalries are more in the minds of fans. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Since he's good friends with TA, I doubt that's true. But he doesn't have a say in the matter regardless. 

He grew up in California, drafted and debuted with Washington, then Sox, Angels, and Cleveland. I think his Sox fandom peaked when they hired his buddy and hit bottom on the plane ride west. 

A buddy of mine grew up a huge Cub fan. Was drafted by the Mets. Lol sweet irony.