The press conference thread

bmags

8 minutes ago, almagest said:

Caught up a little - I would be EMBARRASSED to talk to clients or my company's board like Getz spoke to reporters. No preparation. You need to strategize on what people will likely ask you and be ready for that. It's not like any of these questions were out of left field so far - this is stuff that's been all over the internet.

These were not hard questions. They were softballs and he missed on all of em.....similar to his playing career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MikeKreevich said:

Weak questions and non answers.  Getz's generalities were annoying as hell.  

Heaven help white sox fans.

Reinsdorf had an obligation to help fans get through this by hiring a relatable person that gives them hope. What a failure of an owner to read the room. If Getz addresses the lack of support staff raw employment numbers in the organization, as well as the quality, there might be some small hope. But good Lord.

1 minute ago, JoshPR said:

Deer in the headlights look....

When he got the follow up about what did he mean that Pedro had to wear alot of hats, I was half expecting him to say "a hat is something you wear on your head, sometimes to keep the sun off your head or sometimes for fashion"

• Haha 2

The milquetoast media certainly didn’t disappoint:  softballs as always. And Getz answered them with a bunch of hot air.  And on the few legitimate questions there were, the hot air wasn’t met with follow-ups.

It’s all about “culture.”  Good lord. And I hope that doesn’t mean what it usually means in a political context.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The milquetoast media certainly didn’t disappoint:  softballs as always. And Getz answered them with a bunch of hot air.  And on the few legitimate questions there were, the hot air wasn’t met with follow-ups.

It’s all about “culture.”  Good lord. And I hope that doesn’t mean what it usually means in a political context.

You know when you get into middle age, and you're at a bar, and it looks dingy, slightly stinks of old cigs and stale beer, everybody has a bit of a gut, some gray hair maybe, and you look around and think "can't be me, can it"?

That entire press conference reminded me of that. A bunch of mediocrity doing the least while looking around at each other wondering if this is life.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Jon Greenberg asked the  question- why do you deserve this after overseeing the farm- we all wanted and Getz gave some horseshit about the players still being good and being able to fill the gaps since he's familiar with them

48 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I've got it muted, but Getz looks nervous as hell 

Rick Hahn is Branch Rickey compared to Chris Getz.

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

At least not Feinstein...so he's just slightly more lucid.

Would honestly rather let Munger and Buffett try their had at this at 93 and 98.

Oh, there are a least a dozen if not more from both parties in the executive or legislative branch who literally don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground, whether they are about to eat pudding or feces until they taste it.

27 minutes ago, Highland said:

I didn't watch the press conference. What in the hell does this mean?

Mitch McConnell has twice in the past two weeks frozen and unable to speak or think in press conferences over the past two or so weeks.

Jerry made a joke about it when he blanked out on his answer to a question.

• TLR 1

You know things reached a critical mass when JR actually forced himself to talk with the media. (I thought the comments about the gun incident were interesting).

Getz, didn't disappoint in the sense you can tell he's completely green with this assignment but I will say his opening remarks at least acknowledged the areas Sox fans have been screaming about for years.

Now whether anything is done about them is a totally different matter.

35 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He had his second public brain freeze moment where an assistant had to rescue him from a media interview...just this week.

About whether he would be running for Senate again in 2024 or 26 or whenever his term's up again.

If this was supposed to be funny, it's not. I saw the McConnell news conferences. I am no fan of his, but I felt sorry for him. Age catches up with all of us in debilitating ways. Another JR attempt at humor that failed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Highland said:

If this was supposed to be funny, it's not. I saw the McConnell news conferences. I am no fan of his, but I felt sorry for him. Age catches up with all of us in debilitating ways. Another JR attempt at humor that failed.

An 87 year old, in charge of a failing enterprise, that is the JOKE of all pro baseball for a month running, making a joke about a fellow octogenarian's declining facilities.

IS THIS REAL LIFE?

10 minutes ago, Highland said:

I am all for calling public figures out when they do something stupid, careless, heartless, etc... but I draw the line at poking fun when someone clearly has a deteriorating mental capacity. 

With that said, can MLB institute ownership term limits???

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

I am all for calling public figures out when they do something stupid, careless, heartless, etc... but I draw the line at poking fun when someone clearly has a deteriorating mental capacity. 

With that said, can MLB institute ownership term limits???

I'd take my chances with Mitch as owner over JR.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

um, I believe it's "Milktoast" 

image.png

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

An 87 year old, in charge of a failing enterprise, that is the JOKE of all pro baseball for a month running, making a joke about a fellow octogenarian's declining facilities.

IS THIS REAL LIFE?

It's called being arrogant and tone-deaf. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, South Sider said:

That Jerry wont be giving Getz any more funds or leeway for building a real minor league system and that he will be just as hamstrung as Hahn/KW may have been.

I think Jerry will take the recent failure as validation of the previous approach Jerry has used for decades. Whatever Getz is allowed to do away from that will be on the cheap I'm sure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

The only 2 good questions were by Jon Greenberg who has taken it upon himself to tear the Sox apart the last few weeks. Unfortunately the rest did not follow suit. Merkin, of course, led the way and asked horseshit questions