Is Moncada back to being good?

Greg Hibbard

8 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Last 37 games, .293/.333/.474/.807

141 plate appearances is a small sample size, but maybe this guy is back to being good again? 

we could use a bright spot…

I think health has always been his biggest issue.  He definitely seems healthy now, and he hasn't looked this good for a long time.  Let's hope he actually does what he said he'd do and prepare better during the off season.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

I don't think they're going to get anything better in free agency (the list is pretty dreadful) so they might as well hang on to him and, if he sustains this performance, they can flip him for a little something at the 2024 ASB. His back issues make me super nervous, though.

1 minute ago, almagest said:

I don't think they're going to get anything better in free agency (the list is pretty dreadful) so they might as well hang on to him and, if he sustains this performance, they can flip him for a little something at the 2024 ASB. His back issues make me super nervous, though.

What kind of player will he be once he gets his money again? The timing seems awfully coincidental.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, pcq said:

They will pay him next year and hope for maybe 100 games healthy? Give the young ones like Sosa a chance as well. Retire #1 for Elvis.

It would be nice if young prospects could put up OPS numbers in at least the 650ish range to provide SOME hope.

The numbers from Lee Colas and Sosa have been almost abysmal.

And we already know Remillard is a last man on the active roster type at best.

I mean...Brian Anderson back in 2006 looks like Torii Hunter again compared to some of these Sox hitters.

Edited by caulfield12

58 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

141 plate appearances is a small sample size, but maybe this guy is back to being good again? 

If another team thinks that Moncada is the real deal and decides to make an offer the Sox should jump at the offer, Moncada just can’t be counted on with his history of injuries. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I think health has always been his biggest issue.  He definitely seems healthy now, and he hasn't looked this good for a long time.  Let's hope he actually does what he said he'd do and prepare better during the off season.

He's just lazy.  He's playing well now because next year is a contract year and he's deciding to care. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

If my math is right, they’ve lost 24 of those 37 games. So he’s not much help anyway.

Edited by Milkman delivers
  • Like 1

Its always been a health thing for Yoan.  He's a fantastic defensive 3B.  He doesn't need to be that good of a bat to a well above average contributor.  At this point, I will certainly not argue with anyone that hates him and says he's a cancer.  I am not convinced he's a true clubhouse problem, but I think its more than he just doesn't care all that much. 

The reality of the situation is that Yoan is going to be here next year unless Getz eats like $20M+.  I don't see that happening.  So I am hoping to see a really nice first half from Yoan, and maybe Sox can move him at the deadline for a lottery ticket and some $ for JR's pocket. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

If my math is right, they’ve lost 24 of those 37 games. So he’s not much help anyway.

Ironically...two of the better hitters in Moncada and Burger couldn't fit on the same roster together.

But we still do have plenty of room for Benintendi Andrus Sheets Vaughn Eloy Grandal etc.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ironically...two of the better hitters in Moncada and Burger couldn't fit on the same roster together.

But we still do have plenty of room for Benintendi Andrus Sheets Vaughn Eloy Grandal etc.

I would have dumped Grandal and kept the better defensive Catcher in Zavala. He’d likely be dumped in the off-season but at least you’d have the depth.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

That's why baseball is such a great game. It's not like football, basketball or hockey where the team can pick who gets the opportunities in the big situations. It's all random based on the batting order. One player or even two can't make a team.