Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

25 minutes ago, Pal said:

For whatever hits and misses I've had on here, Tim being an asshole was my biggest hit. I was banging the drum on here that he was a cancer and needed to go during his peak years. There are several reasons no one is touching him. Someone will for at a discount, and that discount will still be too high.

His "cancer" was turning from a 4-5 WAR player into a .5-1.5 WAR player. Is he a "good" club house guy? Probably not, but in a winning team, he's just another cog.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

His "cancer" was turning from a 4-5 WAR player into a .5-1.5 WAR player. Is he a "good" club house guy? Probably not, but in a winning team, he's just another cog.

yeah I never got the impression that he's a bad teammate or anything, actually the opposite, he simply sucked at baseball last year. and he behaves in a way that rubs some fans the wrong way. the only "clubhouse issue" I can recall is that rumor about a conflict with Groundball where Tim seemed to be in the right. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, nrockway said:

yeah I never got the impression that he's a bad teammate or anything, actually the opposite, he simply sucked at baseball last year. and he behaves in a way that rubs some fans the wrong way. the only "clubhouse issue" I can recall is that rumor about a conflict with Groundball where Tim seemed to be in the right. 

Donaldson/Ramirez or his former 3B ex Royals teammate who took his knee out and started the avalanche of bad in 2022...?

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I would bet anything he's under $10 million now, and if he doesn't sign in the next couple of weeks, he'll be under $5 million.

The Elvis Andrus tract.

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

I don't know what the deal was, but when Anderson suddenly started to fall apart in April 2022, that was right when the whole team collapsed that year. The game where Anderson had 3 errors early and where I started joking that it looked like the Mon-stars had stolen the team's baseball abilities - Abreu had an error, there was another play on the IF that could have been an error, then suddenly the whole team collapsed into an 8 game losing streak that they never recovered from.

I don't know what the deal was, but boy that stretch sure seemed like there was "Way more going on than we know about". That was the stretch where LaRussa decided to put Leury batting 3rd because "he looked good in batting practice" or whatever. It all looked like a mess and Anderson was a disaster at that point, somehow this all fits together in a way that I never figured out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The Elvis Andrus tract.

I would be surprised if Anderson goes that low but I guess it’s possible.  I still think the Sox are done with him completely either way.  Maybe if he’s over the very public baby momma drama, he can have a productive bounceback season in 2024.

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Donaldson/Ramirez or his former 3B ex Royals teammate who took his knee out and started the avalanche of bad in 2022...?

Those guys are on other teams though. Donaldson is actually who I was thinking about, the whole team had Tim’s back on that even though I don’t think Donaldson actually said anything particularly bad. Donaldson himself seems like he has a history of being a bad teammate actually. Not sure what you’re referring to regarding the Royals. 

14 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I would be surprised if Anderson goes that low but I guess it’s possible.  I still think the Sox are done with him completely either way.  Maybe if he’s over the very public baby momma drama, he can have a productive bounceback season in 2024.

There are rumblings about "the bad clubhouse."  If management doesn't think TA was part of that...I would welcome him back in a reduced role and pay grade.

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

There are rumblings about "the bad clubhouse."  If management doesn't think TA was part of that...I would welcome him back in a reduced role and pay grade.

Definitely.  He would be the ultimate comeback player of the year / trade bait option at the deadline and a low salary for one year would make him all the more desirable.  I think the Sox are done with him though.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

31 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Those guys are on other teams though. Donaldson is actually who I was thinking about, the whole team had Tim’s back on that even though I don’t think Donaldson actually said anything particularly bad. Donaldson himself seems like he has a history of being a bad teammate actually. Not sure what you’re referring to regarding the Royals. 

He kept mocking him with Jackie Robinson taunts?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Definitely.  He would be the ultimate comeback player of the year / trade bait option at the deadline.  I think the Sox are done with him though.

Sox are excellent at transforming assets into nothing in return...the anti Rays.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He kept mocking him with Jackie Robinson taunts?

well, Tim did say “I kind of feel like today’s Jackie Robinson. That’s huge to say. But it’s cool, man, because he changed the game, and I feel like I’m getting to a point to where I need to change the game.”

which is hilariously naïve and deserving of mockery, he's nothing like Jackie Robinson. so it doesn't surprise that a s%*#-starter like Donaldson would be the one to say it but people were acting like he burned a cross on TA's front lawn. 

• Thanks 2

On 1/12/2024 at 10:17 PM, chetkincaid said:

I’m still waiting on the Angels to sign Tim Anderson. I think Ron Washington would be a big help getting him back on track. 

I thought the Angels would have him signed by now. The Rays seem like a good fit but maybe the off the field stuff will cause them to pass. 

He's only 30, I can't believe he hasn't signed yet. 

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I thought the Angels would have him signed by now. The Rays seem like a good fit but maybe the off the field stuff will cause them to pass. 

He's only 30, I can't believe he hasn't signed yet. 

As someone else said, this org most likely just wants to move on from him, no matter how cheap he might sign for. I’d welcome him back on a 1 year cheap deal but the front office obviously knows more about he is in the clubhouse than we do.

• Like 1

I'd bring him back unless there was some Chris Sale like issue  we don't know about  where he revolted against the team and management. You can't form opinions about players based on things you just assume about them. Many of these players , even the best ones like Robert Jr., might not be people you might consider as friendly, etc. As I recall,TA spent time mentoring kids in the ACE program and appeared to like Chicago and all Sox fans. Obviously he had some personal issues and injury issues but he's a human being for C Sakes.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

If the Sox cared about TA7 he would have been getting boxing lessons several years ago. They left him out there to fend for himself and get his clock cleaned to further degrade the miserable bona fides of Sox org. 

10 hours ago, pcq said:

If the Sox cared about TA7 he would have been getting boxing lessons several years ago. They left him out there to fend for himself and get his clock cleaned to further degrade the miserable bona fides of Sox org. 

Sometimes you just got to let your mouthy coworker fend for themselves. And as I remember the fight they did come out. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Sometimes you just got to let your mouthy coworker fend for themselves. And as I remember the fight they did come out. 

The fight was a symptom of many problems, some created by Tim, and probably some created by the White Sox.  His decline is sad for both.

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion
  • Quin locked this topic