Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

On 11/11/2023 at 11:37 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just assume that Jerry is a vampire who will live forever 

I don’t think that mI dont see howatters. 

Reinsdorf doesn’t like Benetti and hasn’t loved the broadcast. He just doesn’t think he’s funny or that great. It was reported in multiple spots this week 

I don't see how the team continues without Bendetti. 

• Haha 1

I didn't want to talk about it when the news broke, but the feeling is still there. After all the baseball-related s%*# I've been served, I didn't really waver. But my overwhelming feeling upon hearing the Benetti news was that I didn't want to be a Sox fan anymore. I feel basically stuck, there's no other team I care for and I continue to harbor the resentments towards various Sox adversaries. But man are the White Sox playing with fire (with me specifically, at least) if the expansion teams get rolling soon...especially if Charlotte gets one.

• Fire 1

On 11/11/2023 at 2:32 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Mismanaging is in the eye of the beholder when you are still making millions and millions of dollars through domestic and international outlets.

The rest of the board is basically JR's age and they are content with the way things are going.

And he can only be removed for illegal activity or financial maleficence.

With the Sox making money it would be hard to prove what he is doing is wrong.

He's not going anywhere...all you can do is hope to outlive current ownership and see what happens. 

So we get Angelina Jolie involved, then we can get him out?

On 11/11/2023 at 3:56 PM, caulfield12 said:

Malfeasance or Angelina Jolie? 

Benetti and Brock Huard becoming quite the broadcasting pair on FOX... this time Utah/Washington in a highly-entertaining offensive shootout. 

s%*#, I made the same joke as Caulfield.

Time for a self-imposed suspension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Jake said:

I didn't want to talk about it when the news broke, but the feeling is still there. After all the baseball-related s%*# I've been served, I didn't really waver. But my overwhelming feeling upon hearing the Benetti news was that I didn't want to be a Sox fan anymore. I feel basically stuck, there's no other team I care for and I continue to harbor the resentments towards various Sox adversaries. But man are the White Sox playing with fire (with me specifically, at least) if the expansion teams get rolling soon...especially if Charlotte gets one.

Not trying to be a jerk, but why not just find a new team to support? Seriously, no need to be physically ill staying with a team you dislike. 

When you hit your breaking point, pivot.

36 minutes ago, Jake said:

7 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but why not just find a new team to support? Seriously, no need to be physically ill staying with a team you dislike. 

Or just walk away from the sport for a while. I didn’t watch for years recently and I’d say it was just fine. You’ll find something else to fill the time.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Jake said:

Same

On 11/12/2023 at 10:31 AM, Balta1701 said:

There are I think 5 active threads right now where this could go. As far as I can tell it is easily the most popular answer to the original post.

Cant be a rivalry if Sox fans are consistently getting shafted. In the end Jerry always wins…

4 hours ago, Jake said:

Good, they can just go become the MLB Knights and the White Sox can disappear. They're no better than a AAA team anyway and they'd likely have no major logistical problems getting rid of the Sox, Knights become MLB, Barons become AAA, and so forth. It's not like Jerry has poured so many resources into the minors that getting rid of one team would be a huge problem. 

Then a real team can move to the South Side.

20 hours ago, SoxFest23 said:

Why not? IDK. Being a fan is sort of a gut feeling, don't you think? If another team was really attracting me, I'd be into it. But I'm not there yet, for whatever various reasons. Part of it is I'm no longer in the White Sox's market, which theoretically should help in moving on but now I live even further from the nearest MLB team (the Braves) who I also don't find very appealing for various reasons. So there's no real option that allows me to attach to a local team, since there isn't one, and I have to categorically exclude a number of teams because I'm not signing up to be a fan of a team on the west coast when I live in eastern time 😅. I'm not going to stop hating on the Cubs as that is one of my pastimes. If I wanted to pretend to still be local to the greater Chicagoland region, I could latch onto the Brewers but...yeah doesn't seem like the time to jump on that bandwagon.

So for now I'm just a disenchanted Sox fan. I doubt I'll be living in the game threads or watching the games when I have literally anything else to do. But I will hope that somehow they show signs of becoming worth rooting for again. If another team wants to sweep me off my feet in the meantime, then so be it! I tend to think the likeliest outcome is I hang around until the Sox stop kicking me in the nuts so insistently, but an expansion team in the South would get a close look from me if the Sox are still delivering the nut shots when those teams come around. I can't rule out my life circumstances changing either of course...if I found myself on the west coast that would open up some intriguing options, mainly in the NL.

22 hours ago, Jake said:

image.jpeg

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1

I'm a little torn here.  For the most part I acknowledge losing him is bad.  He was recognized nationally as an up-and-coming broadcasting star.  His leaving -- especially at the low point that is offseason 2023-2024, and to a division rival -- sends a terrible message.  It is yet another manifestation of FO ineptitude and organizational rot.  I also appreciate that he had all the right enemies; I enjoyed watching him piss off a certain type of fan.  His replacement will probably be worse (please no whining Len Kasper voice ffs).

*BUT* I just never really liked him, as much as I genuinely tried. I found him annoying and corny. So I personally won't miss him that much on the broadcasts, even though I take his departure as bad news.

• Like 2

More Benetti:

“[The Tigers] want to have the best telecast in Major League Baseball. And they want to do it by, number one, making sure that fans who don’t understand analytics have the opportunity to, if they want to. But if they don’t, they get everything they want to out of the baseball show, as well. Stories about players, fun at the ballpark, strategy, whatever it might be. They want the ballpark to come alive, and they also want new age fans to have the ability to have the touchstone of analytics, too.

“It’s very clear with who they have installed in the front office with Scott Harris and Jeff Greenberg, and then A.J. Hinch is the manager — a guy who played baseball but also was in a front office and understands analytics very deeply, and mixed and matched lineups as well as anybody in Major League Baseball last year.

“But they also want to have fun. They also want to enjoy the ballpark. They also want people to come every day and have a smile on their face. I do like to have fun. I do like to have a good time doing baseball, and sometimes you’re gonna miss and sometimes you’re gonna hit, but the stuff that happens in the ballpark is the most glorious part of doing baseball. And they want that. They didn’t say we’ll tolerate that. They said we want it.”

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/11/16/23964326/jason-benetti-white-sox-brooks-boyer-mike-monaco-connor-mcknight-chris-stefan-chip-harry-caray

No human being wants to report to someone which shows them little to no respect.

This is how Brooks Boyer operates.

Said Benetti: “I had somebody say to me when I asked for more respect, and basically demanded more respect just in the way I was being treated, they said, ‘Respect according to normal human beings, or respect according to Jason Benetti?’ That is one of those things that I say, that’s disqualifying and will be for a long time. I’ll have a relationship, but I don’t want to do that long-term.”