Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Nightengale gives a Cease trade a 90 pct chance of happening.  Nothing close though, as he thinks Sox will get two of a teams’s top 10 prospects.  He also mentioned they’re definitely lowering payroll after the attendance disaster last year.

This was from soxtalk podcast 

Shocker. This just in: noone wants to see a s%*# product out on the field. It’s funny how most say the thing that generates revenue is the TV deals and advertising yet the Sox love to continuously complain about attendance numbers, yet do nothing to put a competitive team on the field. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

It's not surprising there's no market for Eloy or Moncada. 

There should be more of a market for Eloy than Moncada.  Eloy is "only" owed $14M + a $3M buyout for 2025, compared to $25M and a $5M buyout for Moncada.  Some team may want to take a chance on Eloy staying relatively healthy and playing DH.

16 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

There should be more of a market for Eloy than Moncada.  Eloy is "only" owed $14M + a $3M buyout for 2025, compared to $25M and a $5M buyout for Moncada.  Some team may want to take a chance on Eloy staying relatively healthy and playing DH.

Eloy is a 0 WAR DH that's owed 26M over 2 years. It's not surprising at all he has no market. 

On 11/20/2023 at 10:36 AM, TheFutureIsNear said:

Are you suggesting they are going to be old and broken down by the time the Sox are good? Might be the case because the franchise sucks and may never get good, but the idea that we have to look 5/6 years down the road is crazy to me. A competent franchise should be able to get back into contention by ‘26. And no I wouldn’t be worried about having guys in the prime at 28/29 with multiple years of team control left. 

I am suggesting even if they are good we will be burning through their service time on bad teams.

24 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Are you hearing that it’s close?

Honestly, I am fine with Merrifield if its $7-10M AAV and short term. He's really not that good any more, but he's still a useful big leaguer.   He at least fills a need and plays the game hard. 

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Honestly, I am fine with Merrifield if it’s $7-10M AAV and short term. He's really not that good any more, but he's still a useful big leaguer.   He at least fills a need and plays the game hard. 

No, he’s going to fall off a cliff and be out of baseball next year. It’s an awful signing by an awful org.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Eloy is a 0 WAR DH that's owed 26M over 2 years. It's not surprising at all he has no market. 

I completely agree but it’s weird.  0 WAR power has a value.   I have no idea what it is but it exists.  The proof is the Sox have been signing 0 WAR power almost exclusively for what seems like decades now.  There is a market.  

Maybe a Major League Baseball is just that hard to hit

52 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

There is a market for Eloy but won’t shake out til Teoscar Hernandez and Jorge Soler sign 

I suspect even if there is somewhat of a market, we might have to eat some money to get a meaningful return. 

Re: Merrifield, he's old and broken and right handed...which likely explains why the FO is so enchanted with him (along with the whole Royals thing).

This is so fucking stupid. Your 2B is Joey Ortiz OR Michael Busch not some retread past his expiration date. 

Get a fucking deal done and address your RF and 2B needs in one shot. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I suspect even if there is somewhat of a market, we might have to eat some money to get a meaningful return. 

Re: Merrifield, he's old and broken and right handed...which likely explains why the FO is so enchanted with him (along with the whole Royals thing).

This is so fucking stupid. Your 2B is Joey Ortiz OR Michael Busch not some retread past his expiration date. 

Get a fucking deal done and address your RF and 2B needs in one shot. 

Honestly, I'm not sold on trying to fix 2B and RF with guys that immediately slot in as 25 or 26 year olds.

As much as I've hated the inevitable that we'll sign Merrifield, I'm viewing this next year as a wash. If he signs for a year as a bridge while we get some other younger guys in and give them more time to develop, that might have more value in the long run, even if 2024 is putrid.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

No, he’s going to fall off a cliff and be out of baseball next year. It’s an awful signing by an awful org.

Guessing this is tongue in check, but let's be honest - this scenario is always possible with the Sox! 

A 1.5 fWAR 2B that can play some OF doesn't sound all bad to me, though.  

From MLB.com:

With the White Sox looking to turn the page after a disappointing 61-101 season in 2023, the club is willing to listen to offers for everyone on its roster. That includes Dylan Cease, who finished second in the AL Cy Young Award voting in 2022.

Although it’s going to take a haul to acquire Cease, who has two years of team control remaining, MLB Network insider Jon Heyman still gives him a good chance of being dealt.

“I do think Cease is likely [to be traded] … I think he’s 80% [likely] to be moved, they're already talking about potential packages going back to the White Sox,” Heyman said Tuesday on MLB Network.

Cease was recently linked to the Dodgers, but Heyman hears the White Sox are engaging in trade talks with “many, many teams” about the right-hander.

It's not surprising that Cease is receiving widespread interest on the trade market considering the going rate for starters of his caliber in free agency. One such pitcher just came off the board when the Phillies re-signed Aaron Nola for $172 million over seven years. Cease is entering his second round of arbitration eligibility after earning $5.7 million in 2023.

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He is actually owed $16.83M including the buyout on the 25 option, which frankly is only rejected if he's seriously hurt.  2025 and 2026 are options. Eloy has also never been a 0 fWAR player - more like 2 fWAR per 162 GP, with his early years heavily weighted down with god awful OF defense.  Of course he's never going to play 162.  Point is, he's never been a "0 WAR DH".

Edited by ChiSox59

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He is actually owed $16.83M including the buyout on the 25 option, which frankly is only rejected if he's seriously hurt.  2025 and 2026 are options. Eloy has also never been a 0 fWAR player - more like 2 fWAR per 162 GP, with his early years heavily weighted down with god awful OF defense.  Of course he's never going to play 162.  Point is, he's never been a "0 WAR DH".

Wait isn't Eloy getting paid $12M in 2024 and 14M in 2025? And then there's a buyout on top of that? 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Guessing this is tongue in check, but let's be honest - this scenario is always possible with the Sox! 

A 1.5 fWAR 2B that can play some OF doesn't sound all bad to me, though.  

It is not tongue in cheek, he is 35 years old. He has played 4 straight years of below average offense. His power has regressed to a near .100 iso. His krate has increased the last 3 years.

What it would look like if he starts becoming .05 slower to first, or if his bat speed slows down and his discipline falters, is he becomes an unplayable ball player because his hard hit rate is in the 2 percentile.

He got to 1.5 WAR by playing a lot. It is nice to prevent the other god awful players from playing, but if he regresses the way it would be extremely likely for a 35 year old player who doesn't walk and relies to on speed to do, it is a waste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Wait isn't Eloy getting paid $12M in 2024 and 14M in 2025? And then there's a buyout on top of that? 

There's a $3M buyout in 2025 and a $3M buyout in 2026.  He gets $13.8M in 2024.  So the commitment for a team trading for him is a minimum of $16.8M.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic