Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

10 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I've read a number of times that Cease would be willing to sign a long term contract with the White Sox. Why not just sign him? 

Dylan Cease puts up an ERA of four and a half. 

Cease: “I would totally sign an 8 year $200 million contract today. I have no problem being paid money.”

Thats the game with all those statements - of course he’d sign an extension if you paid him massively. They’re mostly meaningless, the only reason you don’t say that is if you hate the team you play for so much you’d never take their money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Can you really trade Cease for a 2B???

8 hours ago, fathom said:

Not nearly enough

7 hours ago, KennyPowers said:

Kjerstad+Ortiz+Kremer is the minimum for me 

6 hours ago, Rey21 said:

Its not enough for 2 years of a front line starter 

100% agree.  Been debating Cease’s value over at that Orioles forum.  I’m sticking with Kjerstad/Cowser + Ortiz + lesser third piece as a fair return in this market.  A couple of their posters said they’d be willing to pay that, but most wouldn’t do anything higher than Ortiz plus a fringe guy or two.  I like Ortiz, but he can’t be the centerpiece of a Cease trade IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

On 11/20/2023 at 7:37 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

Nah talking about Outman doesn’t. The childish attitude of “I was right all along” without offering any sort of deal the Dodgers would be interested from a year ago is what triggers me.

Edit: what are you 12? Be better

Maybe you need to be a better person. You have no power over me to tell me what to write about no matter how often you try to shame me for not living up to your unusual standards that one must be proud of himself in silence nor speak out against intolerance and bullying. I know it's the nature of men to seek to dominate one another but you should give your behavior more thought than mine.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He'd have to be the 3rd piece in the deal imo. 

Nah...BAL will never allow him to be the third piece. Dude will be a plus defensive SS and can also probably be average offensively. That's pretty valuable.

Regarding Montgomery, it seems FG and Law (in AFL he didn't like his defense) both think CM ends up at 3B, so if we can get a plus SS who can hold his own at the plate that would be huge. And then they don't have to worry about Gonzalez being unable to play SS. 

Ortiz is the second piece and I believe Chicago really wants Cowser as the first piece. Getz wants D and athletic ability not just bat only guys. Some people believe Cowser eventually he will be 55 hit and 55 power to go with good D and arm and he can run as a LHH thats huge if the bat actually comes thru. He can slide right in at RF and if they eventually move Robert he might be able to hold down CF so he provides huge all around value and flexibility.

I think if they trade with BAL, they are going to insist on those two guys. I hope they don't use Cease for more pitching. We got pitching in the other trades, you need to develop them. We really really really need some bats that can defend. I would like Hjerstad too for his LHS but Getz doesn't seem to want guys who could end up at 1B even if they are a LHS.

Looks like trade values updated their values and if you add Cowser to Ortiz it's actually more than Cease now....something like 50 to 40. If that's an accurate reflection of teams own value systems, we might even need to throw in Colas or someone with 10 or so SV and forego a third piece as well. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Nah...BAL will never allow him to be the third piece. Dude will be a plus defensive SS and can also probably be average offensively. That's pretty valuable.

Regarding Montgomery, it seems FG and Law (in AFL he didn't like his defense) both think CM ends up at 3B, so if we can get a plus SS who can hold his own at the plate that would be huge. And then they don't have to worry about Gonzalez being unable to play SS. 

Ortiz is the second piece and I believe Chicago really wants Cowser as the first piece. Getz wants D and athletic ability not just bat only guys. Some people believe Cowser eventually he will be 55 hit and 55 power to go with good D and arm and he can run as a LHH thats huge if the bat actually comes thru. He can slide right in at RF and if they eventually move Robert he might be able to hold down CF so he provided 

I think if they trade with BAL, they are going to insist on those two guys. I hope they don't use Cease for more pitching. We got pitching in the other trades, you need to develop them. We really really really need some bats that can defend. I would like Hjerstad too for his LHS but Getz doesn't seem to want guys who could end up at 1B even if they are a LHS.

Looks like trade values updated their values and if you add Cowser to Ortiz it's actually more than Cease now....something like 50 to 40. If that's an accurate reflection of teams own value systems, we might even need to throw in Colas or someone with 10 or so SV and forego a third piece as well. 

Talking about Outman.

Value depends on the market. We all have a sense of what we feel like a guy “like Cease” would be worth in an average scenario, but realistically the price is going to depend upon how many suitors remain when all the reasonable alternatives to Cease are off the table. I think there’s a good chance that the situation is right for a Cease deal after Yamamoto/Snell sign, because Glasnow should theoretically require a different kind of return — but it’s totally possible that it ends up making more sense to wait until the deadline, accepting the injury risk, since Cease will still have the additional year of control.

I wish I had reason to believe that Getz will be able to read the market properly, but we’ll never truly know, since we won’t know what will ultimately be offered. Regardless, I think a deal is really unlikely until the top free agents sign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Ortiz is the second piece and I believe Chicago really wants Cowser as the first piece. Getz wants D and athletic ability not just bat only guys. Some people believe Cowser eventually he will be 55 hit and 55 power to go with good D and arm and he can run as a LHH thats huge if the bat actually comes thru. He can slide right in at RF and if they eventually move Robert he might be able to hold down CF so he provides huge all around value and flexibility.

Why wouldn't move Robert off CF when he's one of the best in the game?

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why wouldn't move Robert off CF when he's one of the best in the game?

I was referring to an eventual trade which I think at some point may happen. Probably not now or 25 but they aren't going to pay him 300 plus million in 4 years when he's 30.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

On 11/23/2023 at 10:38 AM, WBWSF said:

Bruce Levine has said the White Sox are going to trade for pitching and defense this off season. If that's true why trade Cease the teams best pitcher? Getz should approach Cease and try to extend him and go on from there.

Because Ceases agent is Scott Boras and his clients never choose not to go to Free Agency. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I was referring to an eventual trade which I think at some point may happen. Probably not now or 25 but they aren't going to pay him 300 plus million in 4 years when he's 30.

If new ownership is in place by then all bets are off the table. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic