Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Don't think they've done that to a player not on the team since Albert Belle. 

Jose Valentin is the second best substantial MLB Free Agent signing (29 players signed for $10M +) in White Sox history as ranked by fWAR.

White Sox MLB Free Agent Contracts * > $10M Ordered by Age:

fWAR earned during the contract (including stats earned for other teams after DFA'd or Traded).

Amounts Rounded.

1. Age 28 
    • $75M Andrew Benintendi 1.4 + 2024-2027
  2. Age 29
    • $18M Kelvin Herrera 0.3
    • $13M Jessie Crain 3.5
  3. Age 30
    • $60M Paul Konerko 10.3
    • $55M Albert Belle 13.5
    • $46M David Robertson 5.0
    • $42M Melky Cabrera 1.9
    • $20M Jamie Navarro 2.0
  4. Age 31
    • $73M Yasmani Grandai 4.7
    • $56M Adam Dunn 0.0
    • $24M Kendall Graveman 0.6 + 2024
    • $19M Scott Linebrink 0.0
    • $17M Leury Garcia -1.1 + 2024
    • $16M Jose Valentin 10.7
    • $15M Welington Castillo -0.8
    • $10M Jermaine Dye 5.2
  5. Age 32
    • $56M Dallas Keuchel 2.2
    • $54M Liam Hendriks 4.2
    • $15M Zach Duke 0.6
    • $12M Mike Clevinger 2.2
  6. Age 33
    • $50M Jose Abreu 9.1
    • $12M Jeff Keppinger -1.7
  7. Age 34
    • $17M Joe Kelly 1.4
    • $11M Octavio Dotel 1.4
    • $11M Tim Raines 4.0
  8. Age 35
    • $38M Paul Konerko 3.3
    • $25M Adam LaRoche -1.2 Retired after one season
    • $23M Frank Thomas 9.5
  9. Age 37
    • $12M Edwin Encarnacion -0.4

Note *: Does not include international free agent signings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is prospect hugging better than competing?

If it's not this season, 2025/26 pretty much have to be "all in" seasons for the Orioles.

Because those young players are eventually going to get expensive in arbitration...even if they do move the likes of Santander Hays Mullins, etc.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox all realize they’re better off not paying a super high price and hold onto their prospects instead.

The Yankees and Red Sox just offered huge sums of money to try and win...im pretty sure their owners are more than happy to send prospects instead.

There will be more than a half dozen teams competing for Cease. Baltimore will need to get serious or else. 

38 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox bidding war for Cease 

Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox, Reds, Cubs, Giants, Angels, Rangers, Padres, Mets, Braves, Phillies, Jays, Cards, Rockies could get weird, and hell why would you count out the Dodgers.

Whatever the O’s and Reds were offering before I sure as hell hope for their sakes they’re ready to play ball now

Edited by Rey21

3 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox, Reds, Cubs, Giants, Angels, Rangers, Padres, Mets, Braves, Phillies, Jays, Cards, Rockies could get weird, and hell why would you count out the Dodgers.

Whatever the O’s and Reds were offering before I sure as hell hope for their sakes they’re ready to play ball now

I read earlier today the Reds are out on Cease.  Asking price was too high for them.

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox all realize they’re better off not paying a super high price and hold onto their prospects instead.

I'm guessing that people who run billion dollar corporations have a plan, and aren't shaken to their foundation when another company acquires a hot asset. It probably goes something like:

plan A: get Yamamoto

plan B: snell, monty

plan C; cease, 3 or 4 other names bandied about, make other trade of lesser starter, replace a prospect

plan D; something else

plan E: hug prospects

Just now, fathom said:

I read earlier today the Reds are out on Cease.  Asking price was too high for them.

Fathom you mentioned earlier that Sox and O's haven't been able to agree on Cease's value all offseason. Is the issue that Getz wants Cowser as the headliner, BAL is offering Hjerstad and Getz is scared he will end up at 1B and/or not have a high OBP to go along with his power?

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Fathom you mentioned earlier that Sox and O's haven't been able to agree on Cease's value all offseason. Is the issue that Getz wants Cowser as the headliner, BAL is offering Hjerstad and Getz is scared he will end up at 1B and/or not have a high OBP to go along with his power?

No clue about the names involved.  I still think the Sox are focused on getting pitching, and the Orioles don’t have enough there.

28 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because those young players are eventually going to get expensive in arbitration...even if they do move the likes of Santander Hays Mullins, etc.

If the Orioles were doing the Rays' plan, they would have made a sneaky move with Santander for a starter, somewhere, and promote one of their savages to play outfield. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

What would a Yankees trade even look like?  Peraza, Jones and Hampton?  I can’t see them dealing Dominguez or Wells.

Hampton is really the only guy in that group that I would say would need to be a given, but they really don't have much left in the cupboard. Jones is far from a sure thing. I'd say any team could beat what they have to offer.

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Hampton is really the only guy in that group that I would say would need to be a given, but they really don't have much left in the cupboard. Jones is far from a sure thing. I'd say any team could beat what they have to offer.

If they include Dominguez they have a legit shot. If not, the Sox can do better elsewhere.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

No clue about the names involved.  I still think the Sox are focused on getting pitching, and the Orioles don’t have enough there.

Sigh.....this is frustrating. We only have one bullet left in our gun here, so if we blow it on pitching (again) then whats the FOs plan to get legit bats? I know spending money this offseason and next offseason isnt the answer and I know it's unlikely we will have any super useful trade chips that we can afford to unload next year  so that isnt the answer either......so whats the answer? 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sigh.....this is frustrating. We only have one bullet left in our gun here, so if we blow it on pitching (again) then whats the FOs plan to get legit bats? I know spending money this offseason and next offseason isnt the answer and I know it's unlikely we will have any super useful trade chips that we can afford to unload next year  so that isnt the answer either......so whats the answer? 

How will they get legit pitching if they don't get in this deal? 

Acquiring pitching is looking really expensive with long term deals. This also comes with a higher injury and bust rate. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic