Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Combine that with what the dude on the O’s forum said.

If you are referring to Huskers Fan, I would put very little credence in that.  His “source” is someone in the “Povich camp.”   How often do you think minor league players are told they are about to be traded before it actually happens?  Answer: pretty much never.  And it certainly would never happen under Mike Elias, whose organization is incredibly leak-proof.  I can’t think of a single significant offseason transaction the O’s have done since Elias got to Baltimore that was even rumored before it occurred.   

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Harold, who is the third piece?

Povich, Beavers, Bradfield, some other BAL pitcher besides Povich?

And don't say you were just making a general comment....just fucking tell us already we've been waiting for this s%*# forever and I'm already pissed I didn't find LHS from BAL under my Christmas Tree on the 25th. 

It’s more fun to say you knew what was going to happen after the fact 😄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Harold, who is the third piece?

Povich, Beavers, Bradfield, some other BAL pitcher besides Povich?

And don't say you were just making a general comment....just fucking tell us already we've been waiting for this s%*# forever and I'm already pissed I didn't find LHS from BAL under my Christmas Tree on the 25th. 

Dude...I don't think he knows. Nobody knows right now who the leader is for Cease or what Baltimore is willing to do. I think everyone needs to relax and find something to do haha. The White Sox offices aren't even until next week. I'm sure Chris Getz is texting, chatting with GM's etc but he's letting the pitching market settle. I don't think anything is imminent in regards to Cease. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s going to be more than 2 pieces for sure, even if the last piece or two are lottery tickets.

Maybe Jack Flaherty will be available at the trade deadline again.

You guys keep saying that as if it’s funny or relevant. The Os took the right shot at Flaherty.  I’m glad that’s who they got. It didn’t work out but s%*# happens. Most deadline deals are failures. Would it have been nice to get Montgomery instead?  Sure but he just as easily could have sucked too.

Lottery tickets and guys in the 10-15 range for us are 2 completely different things. You are trying to lump them together and that’s wrong.

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Dude...I don't think he knows. Nobody knows right now who the leader is for Cease or what Baltimore is willing to do. I think everyone needs to relax and find something to do haha. The White Sox offices aren't even until next week. I'm sure Chris Getz is texting, chatting with GM's etc but he's letting the pitching market settle. I don't think anything is imminent in regards to Cease. 

As I said in another thread, it's called manifesting.

dear god we are bored

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I do appreciate the perspective of both you and the other Orioles fan in this thread. It’s a refreshing change from the regulars here rehashing the same arguments over and over again.

I agree with this. Our Oriole friends have added very good insight here. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Not a true worry here either tbh

Yea I assumed that as well. Shouldn’t even be something worth discussing though.

I know  this is off topic but has there been any real talks about a new stadium for you guys?  You were the last stadium built before Camden Yards and lost out on that craze that it set off. 

Is this something that is possible?  I know the city of Chicago is having its own issues and not sure if that would impact things?

• Like 2

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea I assumed that as well. Shouldn’t even be something worth discussing though.

I know  this is off topic but has there been any real talks about a new stadium for you guys?  You were the last stadium built before Camden Yards and lost out on that craze that it set off. 

Is this something that is possible?  I know the city of Chicago is having its own issues and not sure if that would impact things?

That's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. JR and the stadium/city situation.

I'm of the opinion, that New Comiskey is a souless, drab archaic monolith that needs to go asap. But, others don't seem to mind it. I also don't have to figure out the finances for it, so that is a different discussion all together.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It sounds like Orioles fans, and us aren't really THAT far apart. Hopefully our front offices can realize that and get something done.

I have a lot of opinions of rebuilding and stuff. I think for 1-2 seasons, you completely tear things down, tank and rebuild. 

But I think anything beyond that is strictly a money grab for ownership.

People say the Os rebuilt the right way and that it takes time. That’s all bs. Tanking seasons only guarantees you 2 things…a high draft pick (and with the new rules, this is no longer guaranteed) and a higher draft pool bonus, most of which gets paid to the high pick anyway.

The Os took the rebuild to an extreme just as Houston did. I think both didn’t need 4+ years to get it right at the Ml level, it’s just what their owners chose to do to pocket money.

But what Elias did need time to do was build up our development system, intl FA system, etc…that’s the type of stuff you guys need to focus on. It used to be we couldn’t develop Roger Clemens. Now we are taking guys off the street and turning them into major contributors. It’s been a very welcomed change.

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

That's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. JR and the stadium/city situation.

I'm of the opinion, that New Comiskey is a souless, drab archaic monolith that needs to go asap. But, others don't seem to mind it. I also don't have to figure out the finances for it, so that is a different discussion all together.

Yea I don’t mean to derail this thread with that but I have to think this is one of those overarching larger topics that WS fans go back and forth on.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Elias really built that organization up. I had no idea they were that stacked in the minors even after graduating studs. Learn a lesson White Sox. Wish JR hired him for the first rebuild instead of leaving it to Larry and Curly.

To be fair, it look old man Angelos having a stroke and his trust fund kid to come in and hire a modern leader.  Unfortunately for us, Jerry’s trust fund kid would stick with Getz and simply buy the analytics staff second monitors.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Elias is a prospect hugging clown. I hope Baltimore never wins anything.

Word. No one from their top 5 for a durable TOR starter with 2 years left? Even if he isn't an "ace" like 2022 there is a ton if value here just being dismissed because he didn't repeat 2022 with the worst group of baseball players I have ever seen. 

The Sox are fucked as a franchise anyway so if you can't even pry a decent package from Baltimore just roll with him and maybe try again at the deadline. If he goes down to injury oh well, a few ok to good Baltimore prospects weren't going to turn this s%*# show around.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Southwest Sider said:

Word. No one from their top 5 for a durable TOR starter with 2 years left? Even if he isn't an "ace" like 2022 there is a ton if value here just being dismissed because he didn't repeat 2022 with the worst group of baseball players I have ever seen. 

The Sox are fucked as a franchise anyway so if you can't even pry a decent package from Baltimore just roll with him and maybe try again at the deadline. If he goes down to injury oh well, a few ok to good Baltimore prospects weren't going to turn this s%*# show around.

Hes only going to about $25M over the next 2 years too. They’re obviously not going to shell out a 9-figure deal to any free agent pitchers so might as well pay from your wealth of prospect capital.

2 minutes ago, Southwest Sider said:

Kind of a premature comment IMO.  We have no idea what’s been offered for Cease, nor do we know what eventually will be offered before the dust settles.  If Cease goes to another team for less value than Cowser and Ortiz would have provided, I’ll say Elias was too stingy with his prospects (depending on what else he does).  Until then, it’s anybody’s guess what has happened or will happen.  

I’ll say this: in general, GMs move more slowly than their fan bases would prefer.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They will have a good idea. I think these teams know a lot more about what other teams are willing to do than we think.

The bottom line is this…no team is going to pay more than they have to. No one should ever pay more for something than they have to. I don’t care what it is your are buying or trading for.

The other aspect to this is can they shop that 2 player package for something else they like and get that deal done with that package. If so, that is probably the way they go.

The Os MAY (not definitely) have to trade 3 or 4 pieces but I suspect that if they do, neither Westburg, Cowser or Kjerstad are leading the deal or the 3rd and 4th players are nothing they care about losing.

The reality is at some point the Cease sweepstakes will turn into a blind bidding process and you will the lose this theoretical leverage to “pay the least amount possible” since you won’t know how much that will be.  Oftentimes, it becomes a game of chicken and in this particular case it will come down to who is willing to bet the most on Cease being closer to his 2022 form.

As for receiving 3 or 4 pieces, I’m not sure that matters all that much outside of the optics.  For Getz, he probably will want a third piece at minimum to help diversify some of the risk and have a better chance of at least hitting on one guy, but at the end of the day it’s all about total value of the package.  But for the most part, I don’t think Elias will have a problem throwing in some lottery tickets outside of your top 30 to get a deal done.

• Love 1

Im not interested in trading with Baltimore, they had their shot to make a run and decided to play it safe. Plus, I want these O's posters to go back to their homes and get out of here with their ridiculous assessments of not only Cease but the comical take on Robert as well.

Yankees aren't going to be an 82 win team again, Orioles finish 3rd or 4th. Book it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Kind of a premature comment IMO.  We have no idea what’s been offered for Cease, nor do we know what eventually will be offered before the dust settles.  If Cease goes to another team for less value than Cowser and Ortiz would have provided, I’ll say Elias was too stingy with his prospects (depending on what else he does).  Until then, it’s anybody’s guess what has happened or will happen.  

I’ll say this: in general, GMs move more slowly than their fan bases would prefer.  

I'm reading this thread and seeing stuff about no one from their top 5...which I guess also seems premature but who knows.

All I'm saying is if Getz is holding out for the moon I don't blame him. This organization needs to be rehauled top to bottom. Succumbing to some middling package from Baltimore because they don't want to play ball makes no sense. Take the risk and see if he pitches lights out and someone gets serious at the deadline. If the worst happens oh well this team was entering probably an entire new decade of futility anyway. 

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, it look old man Angelos having a stroke and his trust fund kid to come in and hire a modern leader.  Unfortunately for us, Jerry’s trust fund kid would stick with Getz and simply buy the analytics staff second monitors.

I highly doubt JRs kids will splurge on second monitors. 

• Haha 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic