Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

These days most teams prefer to give up money rather than prospects, which tells you just how underpaid young players are in baseball. It's possible Sox have to move Cease at the deadline when there are no free agents to buy.

It’s possible but it’s a big risk…but one that could pay off.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s possible but it’s a big risk…but one that could pay off.

I don’t see Getz taking on the risk of injury to Cease for the first half of 2024.  Hahn had three big trade chips for his rebuild in Eaton, Sale, and Quintana.  Getz only has two obvious ones in Cease and Robert right now.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don’t see Getz taking on the risk of injury to Cease for the first half of 2024.  Hahn had three big trade chips for his rebuild in Eaton, Sale, and Quintana.  Getz only has two obvious ones in Cease and Robert right now.

Too many people freaking out about Cease not getting traded, even though the plan was always to wait until Snell and Montgomery signed elsewhere.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

These days most teams prefer to give up money rather than prospects, which tells you just how underpaid young players are in baseball. It's possible Sox have to move Cease at the deadline when there are no free agents to buy.

At the deadline this season it was “Well, they didn’t meet our ask. Try again in the offseason when there are more buyers.”. Now it’s “Well, there are too many free agents. We should try again at the deadline.”. Can’t wait for August when we move the goalposts again!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

I can’t see any path to us becoming a title contending team in the foreseeable future. We’re off in basically every area (current team, farm system, scouting, analytics, GM, owner resources, etc). We’re looking at a decade of .450-.500 ball 

Assuming ownership stays the same what you say is possible.

New ownership? Anything can happen. And JR is about to turn 88 in February.

9 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

I can’t see any path to us becoming a title contending team in the foreseeable future. We’re off in basically every area (current team, farm system, scouting, analytics, GM, owner resources, etc). We’re looking at a decade of .450-.500 ball 

Mayo & Cowser for Cease/Santos puts the lineup at some form of:

Cowser RF

Robert CF

Mayo 3B

Eloy DH

Montgomery SS

Vaughn 1B

Moncada 2B

Catcher

75M Benny 9hole

I’m probably watching s%*# out of that team next year.  That might actually bring me back

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Cowser RF

Robert CF

Mayo 3B

Eloy DH

Montgomery SS

Vaughn 1B

Moncada 2B

Catcher

75M Benny 9hole

I’m probably watching s%*# out of that team next year.  That might actually bring me back

There's zero chance they will trade both Mayo and Cowser for Cease and Santos. 

Zero

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

This this this. 

The days of getting a deal even as good as Sale or Eaton in terms of at the moment prospect capital are over. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I agree with you on PCA being a target Getz could be interested in.  But explain to us why the Sox, who already dumped Madrigal once, would want him back again?  Especially when they already have damn near his clone in Nicky Lopez, who shouldn’t be a starting 2B for any major league team either?

Madrigal was traded...not dumped.  A team like our WS have the funds for maybe 6 or 7 high-priced so-called stars (12-25 million) and the rest need to be useful players (1-10 million) types.  Both Lopez and Madrigal play multiple positions reasonably well.  Both can run a little and have OBP in the mid .320's, which would be among the leaders on the white sox.  I love that Madrigal has many extended at-bats which help ware down the opposing team's starter IMO.  I am aware that I come from the go-go era of white sox baseball and that undoubtedly colors my viewpoint that little slap hitters can be useful.  

14 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Cowser RF

Robert CF

Mayo 3B

Eloy DH

Montgomery SS

Vaughn 1B

Moncada 2B

Catcher

75M Benny 9hole

Mayo is going no where.  Mayo and Cowser in the same deal is a step above a pipe dream.  You aren’t getting Mayo. 

Mayo was an absolute steal when we drafted him and he has done morning but tear up the minors at really young ages.

He also likely can stay at third defensively but the O’s have the left side pretty covered.

• TLR 1

Non Sox fans don’t understand how important it is for us to fleece someone in a Cease trade.  For teams like us who don’t develop talent, this is our only path to any sort of success.  And we will need to set the market high because we will want top dollar for all these guys we’re about to get for Cease when we burn it all to the ground in a few seasons.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Madrigal was traded...not dumped.  A team like our WS have the funds for maybe 6 or 7 high-priced so-called stars (12-25 million) and the rest need to be useful players (1-10 million) types.  Both Lopez and Madrigal play multiple positions reasonably well.  Both can run a little and have OBP in the mid .320's, which would be among the leaders on the white sox.  I love that Madrigal has many extended at-bats which help ware down the opposing team's starter IMO.  I am aware that I come from the go-go era of white sox baseball and that undoubtedly colors my viewpoint that little slap hitters can be useful.  

I don’t think any team starting both Madrigal (3B) and Lopez (2B) would be a team in competition, with the importance of offense in the modern game.  Losing that much power at a power position like 3B would be rough.  The team would have to be stacked at many other positions.

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

There is literally zero history of Jerry Reinsdorf ever doing that. 2005 wasn’t built as a title contending team. Nice collection of players and literally everything went right. 

Since 2005? They have 3 playoff wins, 2 division titles, 1 wild card appearance and 0 playoff series wins. 

All of this is moving deck chairs until he dies. That statement leads directly to ending the conversation, so it’s not very enjoyable to have and if everyone held that position this message board would be a ghost town…but it’s the simple reality. Even moreso when you have ownership groups like the Dodgers, Mets, Braves, Rangers etc….Jerry plays by his rules, and we suffer as a result. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Cowser RF

Robert CF

Mayo 3B

Eloy DH

Montgomery SS

Vaughn 1B

Moncada 2B

Catcher

75M Benny 9hole

Is there any new reason to think that Santos can pass a physical? Some report about him actually throwing somewhere?

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic