Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

36 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I just don't why anyone would think that's a good thing for the Sox.  :lolhitting

Harold, do you think they are still gonna wait till after Snell/Montgomery sign or has NYY kind of pushed the chips into the middle so they can do something upfront?

A snip for those without an Athletic sub.

https://theathletic.com/5180684/2024/01/05/dylan-cease-trade-market/

The White Sox are weighing offers for Cease, and the Yankees and Orioles are among those to express “sincere” interest, according to major-league sources briefed on the discussions. Other teams also are serious, however. While the exact list of suitors is not known, the Dodgers, Cardinals and Red Sox are among the teams possibly in the mix.

The White Sox, trying to inject additional talent, seem virtually certain to move Cease, their most valuable trade commodity. They are staying open-minded on the composition of the return and are not necessarily inclined to favor a team that could include major-league-ready pitching, sources said.

The Orioles, possessing the game’s top farm system according to Baseball America’s latest rankings, seemingly are better positioned than the Yankees to make a trade, and almost certainly more inclined to go that route than pay for an expensive free agent.

The Dodgers, even after spending $1 billion this offseason on right-handers Yamamoto, Tyler Glasnow and Shohei Ohtani, are not ruling out the addition of another starter with Ohtani out as a pitcher until 2025, sources said. Neither are the Cardinals, who already have signed free-agent righties Sonny Gray, Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson for a combined $98 million.

The Red Sox, like the Dodgers, possess a top-five system, and are seeking a top-of-the-rotation starter. The Braves and Reds, two early suitors for Cease, no longer appear in the mix. Both pivoted to other pitchers — the Braves to Chris Sale, the Reds to Nick Martinez and Frankie Montas — rather than meet the White Sox’s price.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m surprised at how many Boston fans are willing to give up Mayer

They’re a different breed especially after the last two seasons they’re tired of losing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not at all.

In fact, the confirmation that pitching doesn’t have to come back brings me more optimism.

It’s great for O’s fans like yourself & Frobby who value winning above all else…this should be a bit terrifying for your fans that prioritize prospect hugging

Just now, Rey21 said:

They’re a different breed especially after the last two seasons they’re tired of losing 

That's why it would be great to rob them of Anthony and Teel.

I think now that they have Grissom, they would want to move Yorke, but he's more of a third piece than second piece. 

I still have my doubts they'd move Anthony or Mayer, but I could see them offering a package of Rafaela, Teel and Yorke and maybe a pitcher as a 4th piece.

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Last time Rosenthal wrote about a specific player was Juan Soto and he was traded a week later.  

Cease will be gone soon, the question is to who?  I believe it will be the O's or Yankees

Yeah, this coming from Rosenthal makes a major difference.  A week may be optimistic, but I do think real trade talks can happen concurrently with Boras managing the Snell & Montgomery markets.

I hope he goes to the Red Sox or Yankees, starts and dominates in the season ending game for the Orioles, then we can ask their fans about his 2023 ERA again and how they are enjoying their prospects.

Edited by striker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I noticed that too…seems like many have him behind Anthony and even Teel in some cases

I am Anthony > Mayer as well.   Anthony would be a fantastic get, given the Sox dearth of outfielders.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, striker said:

I hope he goes to the Red Sox or Yankees, starts and dominates in the season ending game for the Orioles, then we can ask their fans about his 2023 ERA again and how they are enjoying their prospects.

I mean, unless Jackson Holliday is miraculously on the border all of a sudden, I'd take the Yankees or Red Sox top prospects.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s great for O’s fans like yourself & Frobby who value winning above all else…this should be a bit terrifying for your fans that prioritize prospect hugging

I don’t think so. It’s not like Os fans thought the Os were the only team after him. The question has always been, what level of prospect do they have to give up.

Im willing to go higher than some, so those who aren’t willing to go higher are absolutely fine with Cease going elsewhere and moving on to a different target.

No one is bothered by this news because it’s not new and some would rather see the Yankees end up giving up more prospects for a pitcher that some don’t feel is that much of a difference maker.

I know you love to quote fWAR..well they have Cease as a sub 3 fWAR pitcher in 2024. If that’s what he is, he would be a massive disappointment relative to your expectations/hope for 2024.

So yea, there is no nervousness going on. 

• Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think so. It’s not like Os fans thought the Os were the only team after him. The question has always been, what level of prospect do they have to give up.

Im willing to go higher than some, so those who aren’t willing to go higher are absolutely fine with Cease going elsewhere and moving on to a different target.

No one is bothered by this news because it’s not new and some would rather see the Yankees end up giving up more prospects for a pitcher that some don’t feel is that much of a difference maker.

I know you love to quote fWAR..well they have Cease as a sub 3 fWAR pitcher in 2024. If that’s what he is, he would be a massive disappointment relative to your expectations/hope for 2024.

To be fair, if we are going to go with fWAR, it has both the indomitable Kyle Bradish and the Boy Wonder Grayson Rodriguez as sub 3 fWAR pitchers in 2024 too. 

So from my vantage point, you're up s%*# creek without a paddle and you will need to pay a significant prospect price for SP, whether it's Cease or someone else. There's no way around it, unless you're fine with significant regression from last year. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And yet Cease’s 2024 fWAR projection is tied for the highest of any Orioles pitcher. Since you already have a good pitching staff according to you, I guess that’s pretty good?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

To be fair, if we are going to go with fWAR, it has both the indomitable Kyle Bradish and the Boy Wonder Grayson Rodriguez as sub 3 fWAR pitchers in 2024 too. 

So from my vantage point, you're up s%*# creek without a paddle and you will need to pay a significant prospect price for SP, whether it's Cease or someone else. There's no way around it, unless you're fine with significant regression from last year. 

The only difference there is that there’s very little GRod data to go off and even Bradish doesn’t have a huge track record either.

Cease has a 5 years track record that is held up by one amazing season and the rest are good but not great. 

With those projection systems, that longer track record means a lot.

Btw, to be clear…I hate all the projection systems.  I think they are complete bs.  The only reason I even mentioned it is to say that we have a lot of fans who don’t like the idea of giving up much for Cease and while you guys seem to believe it a slam dunk that he will get really good again, there are people and systems out there that disagree with that.

Im not one of those people but they exist.

And this is all under the context of the idea that this article should make Os fans nervous…it just doesn’t, not even a little bit.

15 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And yet Cease’s 2024 fWAR projection is tied for the highest of any Orioles pitcher. Since you already have a good pitching staff according to you, I guess that’s pretty good?

You don’t read very well do you?  I have never said we have a good pitching staff. In the discussions I have had with you, you have done nothing but misrepresent and exaggerate what I have said.

Try reading and not being so disingenuous in your conversations.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is pretty much my take as well.  I have confidence in Elias knowing what price for Cease is worth it and what price is too high.  We can outbid any other team when it comes to prospect capital; whether we should is another question.  I always expected the price eventually would be pretty high and have assumed Elias will make an attractive bid but won’t be obsessed with winning the auction if the price gets beyond whatever he believes the value is.  He’s not an auction fever guy.   

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic