Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

45 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How much did you actually see Maldonado catch last season and if he was as terrible as you say why was he catching for them in the playoffs??? Surely, the Astros are smarter than that…

Fangraphs inflated Cease’s value in 2023 but it didn’t inflate Grandal’s defensive value over his entire career? Not sure how anyone that watched Grandal catch for the white sox over the past four seasons could argue he’s anything but a terrible defensive catcher, especially the last couple seasons. Even before the Sox signed him I said his defense was way overrated but everyone would always reference fangraphs and his great “framing.” That’s great and all but the guy can’t block, he can’t throw, and he made some huge mental mistakes. I won’t even get into the pitch calling. He was terrible.

The Sox also acquired a catcher that didn’t even play at all last year.  I’m not sure they care too much, as long as the guy is cheap.

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

What if he’s Madrigal 2.0 instead.

Well, he has more homers and nearly as many stolen bases in just over a year of pro ball (at age 18/19) as Madrigal has in 5+ years (minors included) so I doubt it.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Excluding him and not getting a 4th piece or just accepting him as 4th piece? Seems like a no-brainer.

Getting a lotto as the 4th instead of Houck. But I’m really high on Jett (I think he’s their best prospect) and I like Gilbert a lot too.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Huh? Stassi didn’t play last season. And Grandal caught 92 games (started 79) so I disagree. Zero chance Maldonado is a worse defender than Grandal.

As hard as it is to believe someone could be worse than Yaz, Maldonado says hold my beer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

As hard as it is to believe someone could be worse than Yaz, Maldonado says hold my beer.

Maldonado was terrible framing was but very good on the other things. 75th percentile pitch blocking, 71st percentile on pop times. The stolen bases are not as good a metric as the pop times because they involve the pitchers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I gotta see it with my own two eyes before I can actually state that.  I watched the Astros a decent bit last year, and certainly in the playoffs, and can't say anything stood out to me.  Don't get me wrong, I would not have signed MM - certainly not for $4.25M - and I am not expecting prime Machete, but I am not sure he's actual "worst catcher in MLB" bad at defense yet.  Advanced metrics have always been a bit hit or a miss on catchers. 

3 minutes ago, Fielder Jones said:

Maldonado was terrible framing was but very good on the other things. 75th percentile pitch blocking, 71st percentile on pop times. The stolen bases are not as good a metric as the pop times because they involve the pitchers

And for this exact reason I hate referencing fangraphs for catching defense. They seem to overly inflate framing for whatever reason. There’s no way Grandal was an average defensive catcher last season, which they seemed to rate him as.

1 hour ago, Fielder Jones said:

Baseball prospectus ranks him in the bottom 20% of the league in terms of blocking and bottom 10% of deterring base stealers - which is far more consistent with his terrible CS% rate and high PB rate (also far worse than the other pitcher on the roster)

13 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

100% can't be worse than Yaz, no way.

Not even in the realm of possibility? We saw way too much of awful Yaz so it's hard to fathom, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting drastic improvement. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

In all seriousness, I like your proposal.

Dick Fitts?  If only we could also acquire Rusty Kuntz.

Wait!  Rusty is the Special Assistant to the GM/Quality Control for the Royals.  I bet Getz can make this dream happen!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Right.  We both outlined these prospects the same.  I originally said I wouldn’t be super excited by this.  Again it’s a fine haul but I don’t have to be thrilled by it.   Again I’d rather get some bad ass LH bat prospects.   

So now explain how me not being thrilled by that leaps to a “Ruth, Aaron, Clemens & Nolan Ryan” type of comment.  It sure seems to insinuate a level of ridiculousness on my part.  Why?

I hear you …. LH bat prospects. I’ll be surprised if the White Sox get anything close to that value. I hope you get it though! Rebuilding Sucks 

Really, I was just kidding around sir! Sorry if you didn’t see it that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Dick Fitts?  If only we could also acquire Rusty Kuntz.

Wait!  Rusty is the Special Assistant to the GM/Quality Control for the Royals.  I bet Getz can make this dream happen!

And a former White Sox to boot, lol...doesn't that count for anything anymore?

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic