Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

24 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What do people prefer  if these were the competing offers:

NYY: Jones, Hampton/Warren,  Lombard/Lalane

BAL: Cowser/Kjerstad, Ortiz/Norby, Povich

I have my doubts Elias will actually sack up.

I'd be very happy with a NYY deal centered around Jones and one of their best pitchers. 

Orioles as I really think their headliner is much better.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sounds like Imanaga will need to pick a team by today in order to have a deal finalized by Thursday.  Haven’t seen the Cubs linked before, but even better for us if he ends up there.

Hopefully the Angels are looking elsewhere as in Snell

4 minutes ago, Fielder Jones said:

what package can the Mets offer (any?)

They can offer plenty. Do something around any of Gilbert, Baty, Houck, Jett, Mauricio, Acuna, etc.

I'd love to buy low on Baty.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What do people prefer  if these were the competing offers:

NYY: Jones, Hampton/Warren,  Lombard/Lalane

BAL: Cowser/Kjerstad, Ortiz/Norby, Povich

I have my doubts Elias will actually sack up.

I'd be very happy with a NYY deal centered around Jones and one of their best pitchers. 

It would be hard to pass on Kjerstad, but that Yankees package has more theoretical upside.  Really tough call.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, striker said:

spider.jpg

If your point is that Yankees prospects bust a lot, sure they do, like many prospects.

But Rutherford never had the pure power that Jones has, nor did he ever develop it as anticipated.  Quite like our own Ryan Sweeney years ago.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I feel like Rutherford didn't have the upside that Jones does. I also don't remember Rutherford having the monster EVs like Spencer.

I don’t think Rutherford ever hit a ball this hard in his life

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I feel like Rutherford didn't have the upside that Jones does. I also don't remember Rutherford having the monster EVs like Spencer.

You aren’t misremembering.  Rutherford was a 40-45 FV prospect.  Jones is 55.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Can you enlighten me on Jones?  Apart from stats.. I don't know much about him.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

How soon until Yankees fans are posting on this board that we are only getting Spencer Jones in a Cease trade in our wet dreams?

Oh my god. I would BEG that Sports Guy and Alabama guy to come back. Yankees fans are insufferable. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

NYY fans NERVOUS.....haha I love it.

IMO if he has 70-75 game power he should still be able to get to a good part of it with 45 hit. 

30-40 HRs is a reasonable expectation and solid D in RF with some wheels too is very good as a headliner. 

Get Hampton or Warren as the 2nd piece and we will be in good shape. 

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Can you enlighten me on Jones?  Apart from stats.. I don't know much about him.

I can enlighten by posting the writeup from the recently updated BA Yankees top 10 for 2024. He's number 2 behind Dominguez.

Ht: 6'6" | Wt: 225 | B-T: L-L

BA Grade/Risk:60/Very High.

Track Record: Jones was a two-way talent as a high schooler, but a broken elbow helped him make it to campus at Vanderbilt. The Yankees drafted him 25th overall in 2022 and signed him for $2,880,800. Jones reached Low-A in his pro debut, then split his first full season between High-A and Double-A. His 155 strikeouts were the most in the system, and his 109 mph 90th-percentile exit velocity tied for the highest in the organization.

Scouting Report: See Jones on the right day and he looks like one of the best prospects in baseball. See him on the wrong day and his strikeout issues appear to put a sizable roadblock in his path. Jones improved as the 2023 season went on, going from a 34.6% strikeout rate in April and May to a 26% rate from June onward. To achieve that success, he had to improve his approach and swing decisions. He was selling out to crush fastballs, which made him vulnerable to breaking balls. Sliders overall were particularly vexing, and he had trouble with breaking balls below the zone in general. Once he started adjusting his approach to the way pitchers were attacking him, he got better. Jones’ power is one of his calling cards, and his 93.8 mph average exit velocity was among the 10 best in the minor leagues among players with 100 or more plate appearances. Jones’ long strides allow him to cover a lot of ground in center field, but scouts are split about whether he’ll remain there or move to a corner. If he does move off the position, his average arm would fit in either corner.

The Future: The 2024 season will be big for Jones. He’ll spend an entire season facing upper-level pitchers with the quality stuff and command to demonstrate how much further Jones will need to improve to reach his ceiling as an athletic middle-order thumper.

Scouting Grades: Hit: 40 | Power: 60 | Run: 55 | Fielding: 50 | Arm: 50.

Edited by DirtySox

I'd take Orioles players over Jones as a headliner 7 days a week. Mayo, Westburg, Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, Ortiz, Beavers have all succeeded in AA and/or AAA, so much easier to project. I also think that's why you can't compare it to the Red/Castillo trade. It took both Marte/Arroyo because they were A/A+ and therefore came with more risk.

Jones had a .787 OPS in A+. Struckout 30% of the time. 9% BB rate, which is good, but could change when he gets to a higher level. Seems "fine" but just doesn't make it "move" like the Orioles prospects do.

I mean, if "you" are ok with Jones as a headliner, would you be ok with Beavers has a headliner? They are the same age and progression schedule and Beavers number blow Jones out of the water.

Beaver+Norby+Povich >> anything Yankees could offer.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

How soon until Yankees fans are posting on this board that we are only getting Spencer Jones in a Cease trade in our wet dreams?

Please, don't even start speaking that into existence...

17 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I can enlighten by posting the writeup from the recently updated BA Yankees top 10 for 2024. He's number 2 behind Dominguez.

Those EV's are tantalizing, but the K rate is worrisome, especially in a system not known for working on player's flaws.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic