Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

45 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

More teams will be ready to jump come the deadline,

One thing I've read a few times is that key to the deadline is it's right after the draft, and teams have a better feel for where their systems are. They may have just picked up 2 prime prospects, and feel good about letting the older guys go. 

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What's the point of a 70 arm if you are at 1B?

I'm glad he has alot of power but he's still RH which is a problem.

Kjerstad and Westburg and one of the pitchers. That's about 50m-55m in SV and that's around where Cease should be taking into account the SP premium.

If he has a 70 arm, but is talked about as a 1B, that must mean he either can't move, can't catch, or both.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What's the point of a 70 arm if you are at 1B?

I'm glad he has alot of power but he's still RH which is a problem.

Kjerstad and Westburg and one of the pitchers. That's about 50m-55m in SV and that's around where Cease should be taking into account the SP premium.

It helps with DPs, and if you can throw, you'll occasionally get someone at 3B. Also you are a cutoff guy, so it helps. Maybe not as much as other positions, but heing able to throw is a good thing.

6 hours ago, fathom said:

New WS Talk podcast with Jesse Rogers about Cease.  Sounds like it’s Orioles or bust, but likely no trade before the season starts.  He implied that the Sox are asking for Mayo.

I like it…but don’t see the prospect hugger giving up his precious Mayo.

Surprised Sports Guy and Rolle Tide haven't responded attacking the idea of Mayo and suggesting Ortiz Norby and Urias or Mountcastle instead.

Maybe still traumatized by Nick Saban surprise retirement and mass defections.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It helps with DPs, and if you can throw, you'll occasionally get someone at 3B. Also you are a cutoff guy, so it helps. Maybe not as much as other positions, but heing able to throw is a good thing.

Eh....the concept of a RH 1B being the main compensation is still problematic to me.

Anyway it's likely moot because Elias will not trade him for Cease and even if he did, it would likely be a 1 for 1 straight up trade, at most.

I'd rather have Kjerstad, one of the IFers and one of pitchers rather than just Mayo and that's it anyway. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Because you want Montgomery at third?

Mayo can also play 1B and corner outfield and has a 70 arm…supposedly.

Basallo is off the table for sure.

Always comes back to some combo of Kjerstad Cowser Westburg…then prospects that are two or more years out.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s the concern with Mayo?

I just don’t think targeting a RH corner guy as the main piece of a Cease return is ideal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Downtown Brown said:

Mayo in RF, Montgomery at 3rd, Boom Bang Thank you Man

Moving a corner infielder to RF…  where have we seen that one before?  Oh yeah, twice with Vaughn and Sheets.  No thanks, Rick.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he has a 70 arm, but is talked about as a 1B, that must mean he either can't move, can't catch, or both.

They have been playing him at 3B so far in his career.  The 1B talk is because he is massive, not because he can’t move.  Whether he can catch remains to be seen, but many scouts have been viewed the OF being his ideal position.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Moving a corner infielder to RF…  where have we seen that one before?  Oh yeah, twice with Vaughn and Sheets.  No thanks, Rick.

Viciedo Teahen Josh Fields … the only Kenny Williams 3B CF switcheroo lol.  That was in the other direction if I recall correctly.

Surprised Burger not out there the last two years.

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Just from reading about him here, the likelihood he ends up at 1B. Another RH 1B just doesn't move the needle much as a headlining piece.

I think the likelihood he ends up at 1B is overblown.  And while I’d prefer a savage all else being equal, Mayo has a truly elite ceiling offensively and the handedness is much less of an issue.  He is way better prospect than Hjerstad or Westburg IMO.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the likelihood he ends up at 1B is overblown.  And while I’d prefer a savage all else being equal, Mayo has a truly elite ceiling offensively and the handedness is much less of an issue.  He is way better prospect than Hjerstad or Westburg IMO.

As between trade A or B what is your preference and why:

A. Cease for Mayo straight up.

B. Cease for Kjerstad, Norby/Ortiz and Povich/McDermott.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic