Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel a shorter, high AAV deal for Snell incoming.

Eh...with BAL getting stronger, Boras has more leverage to force a longer commitment from NYY.

Hal doesn't want another bad contract like Rodon. We need him to lean on Cashman a little bit.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

But you also don't sell your $1000 hutch for $500 when there's still time for someone to come along and give you $800.  Just because the Sox have the upper hand doesn't mean Cease would have been traded.  No one has offered what the Sox want and what Cease is worth.

No one has offered what the Sox want. What he is worth is completely subjective. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Diamondbacks, Reds, Pirates are teams that I feel like should be more involved. I guess the latter two can wait to add until the deadline to see how things are looking though.

Awhile back there was some dude that said Pirates were trying real hard to get Cease.

Prolly would require Termarr plus a SP.

“This trade, with what Baltimore gave up, in no way closes off the possibility of them getting Dylan Cease.” - @jonmorosi

LOL.  I guess he's technically correct because none of the players involved in the Burnes trade would be part of a Cease trade BUT if Elias wasn't willing to give up any of his high end players before the Burnes trade he's sure as hell not going to give them up now.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

LOL.  I guess he's technically correct because none of the players involved in the Burnes trade would be part of a Cease trade BUT if Elias wasn't willing to give up any of his high end players before the Burnes trade he's sure as hell not going to give them up now.  

Maybe closes off the possibility for now, but maybe they will need another SP in the summer. Probably still wouldn't want to pay the price then though.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Maybe closes off the possibility for now, but maybe they will need another SP in the summer. Probably still wouldn't want to pay the price then though.

They may not want to after his last year, but if Dylan Cease is putting up a Cy Young caliber season again, someone is going to pay a load for him, and they won't want to face that pitcher in the playoffs against them. 

The rationale for not trading Cease at the deadline last year was because there would be more suitors available in the Winter, correct? Now we are a few weeks from Spring Training and the rationale is to wait until the trade deadline as teams will be more desperate for pitching then? 

Makes no sense to me. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel a shorter, high AAV deal for Snell incoming.

I don't. I just don't see luxury tax teams being willing to forfeit and 2nd and 5th rounder plus $1 million in international space to sign Snell on a short-term deal. 

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't. I just don't see luxury tax teams being willing to forfeit and 2nd and 5th rounder plus $1 million in international space to sign Snell on a short-term deal. 

Well hopefully this was the kick in the nuts that the Yankees needed to make a deal. 

Just out of curiosity, if they dealt for Cease, is their luxury tax number so high that they are they still forfeiting all that anyway?

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Well hopefully this was the kick in the nuts that the Yankees needed to make a deal. 

Just out of curiosity, if they dealt for Cease, is their luxury tax number so high that they are they still forfeiting all that anyway?

No. Juts for players who were given a QO. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Hypothetical (unlikely, I know):

Sox are at .500 record wise and hold a 3 game lead in the horrible division in July. What do they do with Cease?

I'm not asking what YOU would do. I'm asking what you think Getz will do.

Hold

• Hawk 1

18 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Sox are at .500 record wise and hold a 3 game lead in the horrible division in July. What do they do with Cease?

In that highly unlikely hypothetical, they'd hold him past the deadline. They would either go on  a lengthy losing streak or his performance would completely crater afterwards. This is the way things happen for our White Sox.

• Like 1

The Sox need to put Cease in bubble wrap and we all need to pray to whatever deity we believe in that he stays healthy and effective through July 31. There will be injuries and lack of performance by some contending teams and a few surprise teams that want to "go for it". Getz set his price and evidently didn't budge. That's fine for this cycle, but if we don't deal Cease by July 31, 2024 then he becomes a 1 year rental and the price goes way down. 

24 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Keep Cease and have him lead the team into the 2024  playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic