Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Getz has to be looking for pitching back after dealing Mena yea? Kinda wish the Reds were still interested. I'd love Lowder & Petty.

Don't think replacing Mena in depth chart is much of a consideration at this point.

But probably will be part of a mid season Cease deal...

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

As in Ortiz, Hall, and the pick+?  If so I’m fine with Getz holding out. Ortiz might turn into a fine player, but that package just doesn’t move the needle for us. 

100%. Sox definitely aren't in any payroll crunch, and if nothing else Cease might bring a bit of an attendance bump when he pitches given that none of the other starters are names many people know.

Can still trade him in July, or at the end of the season.

14 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

100%. Sox definitely aren't in any payroll crunch, and if nothing else Cease might bring a bit of an attendance bump when he pitches given that none of the other starters are names many people know.

Can still trade him in July, or at the end of the season.

But then we are looking at a Burnes-like return anyways.

46 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But then we are looking at a Burnes-like return anyways.

Not if he has a solid first half, they’ll do much better than that. Hell look at what the Reds got for Tyler Mahle a year and a half ago at the deadline. They weren’t top 100 guys at the time but now are legit young major league contributors. I get why the Brewers took that deal but it was such an underwhelming return, I’d rather ride out Cease’s contract. 

Edited by Rey21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rey21 said:

I get why the Brewers took that deal but it was such an underwhelming return, I’d rather ride out Cease’s contract. 

You’d rather get nothing in return than an underwhelming return?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I’m stubborn so yes. That return would piss me off more than him leaving for nothing

Getz can’t afford to be stubborn NOR get a net return of zero…they will never be able to get to the point of contention without enough younger cost-controlled prospects.

• Like 1

I still would rather keep Cease. Even though he can only go five and our bullpen likely will blow most of his leads, in theory he gives us a guy with a chance to throw five (or six i can pray) innings of scoreless ball and maybe we can win a few games. I have a feeling we're gonna have a tough time winning 60 even with Cease.

55 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I still would rather keep Cease. Even though he can only go five and our bullpen likely will blow most of his leads, in theory he gives us a guy with a chance to throw five (or six i can pray) innings of scoreless ball and maybe we can win a few games. I have a feeling we're gonna have a tough time winning 60 even with Cease.

Then why keep him? The team will be awful with him or without him, what's the difference between winning 60 games or 70 in the grand scheme of things?

At least if you deal him you may (notice I said may) get some guys who could help you to go from 70 wins to 85 and then to 90 in time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d prefer to reset offers for Cease at the deadline or even next year. The point is that an offer like Ortiz and Hall may be adequate for 1 year of Cease, although that’s certainly argumentative. To suggest Getz should take that for 2 years of Cease, because of the risk of his arm falling off, doesn’t make sense to me. It’s a risk but a calculated one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

I’d prefer to reset offers for Cease at the deadline or even next year. The point is that an offer like Ortiz and Hall may be adequate for 1 year of Cease, although that’s certainly argumentative. To suggest Getz should take that for 2 years of Cease, because of the risk of his arm falling off, doesn’t make sense to me. It’s a risk but a calculated one. 

A potential injury isn’t the only risk. There’s also the risk of poor performance. We all think about his 2022 season and feel like he can get back to something closer to that, but the truth is nobody knows. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

Second playoff run has a lot of value.

One year you end up with Burnes offers, especially with Boras as agent unwilling to look at extension possibilities.

22 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

I agree. I don't think they're nearly as worried about this as others.  If it were someone like Giolito or Kopech I'm sure they would be a little more panicked but Cease is a different cat.  They know what a hard worker he is and how disciplined he is in his preperation. They know no matter what happens he's going to be mentally and physically ready for the season and will perform at a high level the same as he always has.  

• Fire 2

57 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I agree. I don't think they're nearly as worried about this as others.  If it were someone like Giolito or Kopech I'm sure they would be a little more panicked but Cease is a different cat.  They know what a hard worker he is and how disciplined he is in his preperation. They know no matter what happens he's going to be mentally and physically ready for the season and will perform at a high level the same as he always has.  

and if preparation and discipline was able to prevent TJ than that would be great. It may prove to be the right strategy, and they might get something great for him at the deadline, but but to say its anything other than a massive risk is crazy talk. Similar to if I was selling my loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee for 80k, and someone came and offered 78k. I can wait for a better offer, but id sure be taking a big risk! need to be an experienced car guy to know when to hold, and when to just sell. I trust getz! but no doubt a bold strategy! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Downtown Brown said:

and if preparation and discipline was able to prevent TJ than that would be great. It may prove to be the right strategy, and they might get something great for him at the deadline, but but to say its anything other than a massive risk is crazy talk. Similar to if I was selling my loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee for 80k, and someone came and offered 78k. I can wait for a better offer, but id sure be taking a big risk! need to be an experienced car guy to know when to hold, and when to just sell. I trust getz! but no doubt a bold strategy! 

For the White Sox - the offer Baltimore was giving doesn't seem like 97% of the way there.

The White Sox need guys to reshape their system. They need guys who can come in and be all stars, because they don't have that. That's different than Milwaukee's needs, where they have a strong system already so any depth they can add is helpful to them.

For the White Sox, the Orioles offer was more like being offered $35k on the car that you want $80k for. It's not a terrible offer, and it's better than nothing, but you're probably not in a hurry to take that offer out of the worry that you'll crash the car.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Then why keep him? The team will be awful with him or without him, what's the difference between winning 60 games or 70 in the grand scheme of things?

At least if you deal him you may (notice I said may) get some guys who could help you to go from 70 wins to 85 and then to 90 in time. 

Not sure on your rational? If the Sox take the best offer and it is  average, the team is not going from 70 to 85 to 90. It probably is going from 70 to 65 because losing Cease may decrease the wins not increae them. So Sox need to be getting some plaers who will increae the overall wins not just bring it lower the next few years. 

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Good question LipMan. I know I'm all over the map but I am a Sox fan and do want to win some games. I'm not a huge Cease fan (too many walks, 5 2/3 maximum man) but I do think he's an mlb caliber pitcher. So I'd prefer to have one starter I've actually heard of, even if I don't buy mlb.com. I think I turned off the autorenewal so I'm good to go there if i want to abandon my Sox. I wouldn't mind a thread where somebody optimistic could answer the question: "Why should I follow the Chicago White Sox this season?"

Edited by greg775

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic