Yoshinobu Yamamoto got $325 million 12 years from Dodgers (+posting fee)

Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Padres being a super team was never sustainable as they don’t have a TV deal worth $340M per season.

My point is every fan base and media outlet in baseball were saying that about them in regards to all the moves they made the past couple of years and all the talent they brought in through trades and signings on that team. They didn't win a damn thing. 

Forgive me if I'm not giving the Dodgers their championship flowers just yet.

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The sport is going to grow by 15% worldwide due to these two signings.

Whether a 50s/60s style Dodgers dynasty in the NL is a good thing for the sport is another question altogether.

Numerous non-baseball fans around the world are talking about the sport, partucularly the two contracts and these two talented players...

How could that be bad?  Most teams will set attendance records when the Dodgers are in town as well.

The non-baseball fan will talk about these "ridiculous" contracts for a couple days and then go back to being non-baseball fans IMO.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

My point is every fan base and media outlet in baseball were saying that about them in regards to all the moves they made the past couple of years and all the talent they brought in through trades and signings on that team. They didn't win a damn thing. 

You’re missing my point.  The Padres took a shot at creating a super team by gutting their farm system, but it didn’t work out and now they’re taking a step back and unloading salary.  I actually applaud Preller for his aggressiveness as windows are short for most clubs.  Unfortunately, the reality is he was never going to be able to sustain a “super team” talent level. 

Meanwhile, the Dodgers have no financial restrictions whatsoever because of their massive regional TV deal. They can go replicate what the Rays are doing from an analytics and development perspective but then supplement it with $300M in reoccurring payroll.  And if they miss on some free agents, they can simply spend on more.  How is that fair?  Do the few extra draft picks that small market teams get make up for massive disparity in revenue.  Is it ok that LA gets to go the playoffs 10 times in a decade whereas most small market clubs are lucky to make two appearances?

45 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

San Diego Padres were suppose to be the "super team" until they weren't...

I think the difference here is that Friedman has been planning for this offseason, letting All-Stars to superstars walk from their team Machado, Seager, Turner, Scherzer, Darvish, Bellinger, Joc while building a sustainable farm. They still somehow won 100 games in their down year. Obviously the big knock is that postseason pitching has bee

We mourn the infield that never was (in Chicago) of Tatis/Machado. If Friedman spent like Preller (with seemingly no foresight), he could have had Machado-Seager-Turner, but probably doesn't have the purse ready to go this offseason, when the Dodgers are still projected third in payroll and the Padres have to slash.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

The playoffs is a crap shoot. It doesn't change that one playoff spot is locked up every single year and 70% of the league has zero chance of keeping their super star talents in FA.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Dodgers have spent more money on four players (Freddie, Mookie, Ohtani and yamamoto) in the past two years than 19 teams have spent on their total payrolls since 2009.

They have committed more money this off-season than several franchises are worth per Forbes’ valuations.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I think the difference here is that Friedman has been planning for this offseason, letting All-Stars to superstars walk from their team Machado, Seager, Turner, Scherzer, Darvish, Bellinger, Joc while building a sustainable farm. They still somehow won 100 games in their down year. Obviously the big knock is that postseason pitching has bee

We mourn the infield that never was (in Chicago) of Tatis/Machado. If Friedman spent like Preller (with seemingly no foresight), he could have had Machado-Seager-Turner, but probably doesn't have the purse ready to go this offseason, when the Dodgers are still projected third in payroll and the Padres have to slash.

Joc made me lol, and Bellinger literally had to take a one year prove it deal. 

Not sure they really let Machado walk. He was a rental.

Of your list the only star they let walk was Seager and it was a miss since their ss situation is a disaster. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

They have committed more money this off-season than several franchises are worth per Forbes’ valuations.

Yeah, I think Forbes is pretty low on team values given they always sell for more, but it's wild the gap between the top and bottom in baseball from a resources standpoint. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I think Forbes is pretty low on team values given they always sell for more, but it's wild the gap between the top and bottom in baseball from a resources standpoint. 

Oh I don’t view the Forbes’ valuations to be perfect by any means, but those figures are primarily driven by market size and the corresponding revenue streams afforded to them.  The point is the Dodgers can make long-term commitments that most franchises can’t dream of because of the security blanket their insane TV deal provides.

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

San Diego Padres were suppose to be the "super team" until they weren't...

The Dodgers have made the playoffs 11 years in a row and won the division 10 of 11 years. The year they finished second they won 106 games. 

They've gotten to the NLCS or later 6 of those years. 

Are people just blind to the reality?

It's like people arguing the Yankees couldn't buy titles. The Yankees have missed the playoffs 5 times since 1994. They havent had a LOSING season since 1992.

The Sox have made the playoffs 5 times since 94 lol.

The problem is the gap is getting worse too. People are too busy pointing out the rays as this reason you don't have to spend, yet the rays haven't won a world series ever.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Dodgers have made the playoffs 11 years in a row and won the division 10 of 11 years. The year they finished second they won 106 games. 

It's like people arguing the Yankees couldn't buy titles. The Yankees have missed the playoffs 5 times since 1994. They havent had a LOSING season since 1992.

The problem is the gap is getting worse too. People are too busy pointing out the rays as this reason you don't have to spend, yet the rays haven't won a world series ever.

I said the Padres not the Dodgers.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The gap is getting worse and the big market teams are finally realizing the cheat code too.  The Mets under Stearns are a real threat to be another Dodgers in time.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

I said the Padres not the Dodgers.

Unless I misread your post, you were implying the Dodgers aren't guaranteed to have a super team. Truth is, in a 5 or 7 game series there's no such thing as a super team in baseball. But over 162 there certainly is and the Dodgers are pretty much guaranteed to be in the playoffs again in 2024 before the season even starts. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The gap is getting worse and the big market teams are finally realizing the cheat code too.  The Mets under Stearns are a real threat to be another Dodgers in time.

Exactly, pretty soon more teams in bigger markets will lock in their spot annually because that's been the trend already. There's not a single team in the AL central who actually compete for elite talent.

• Like 1

Exactly, pretty soon more teams in bigger markets will lock in their spot annually because that's been the trend already. There's not a single team in the AL central who actually compete for elite talent.

I feel like a team in Chicago should be able to. Keyword being: SHOULD.

Edit: I'm still pissed Bryce Harper was right there for the taking that one offseason. Would have been great for this franchise.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Welcome to JR prediction. This is what he ways warned about.