White Sox sign Brett Phillips

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's a great question. Every day with every one of these has been's the Sox are signing shows that JR was lying through his teeth about getting better and competing in 2024.

This team isn't going anywhere except straight down the toilet.

Is this being done on purpose, make things so bad that not one fan will care when the team moves to Nashville.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Is this being done on purpose, make things so bad that not one fan will care when the team moves to Nashville.

Getz is simply acquiring a bunch of cheap placeholders and forcing prospects to earn their spots.  Obviously there is no intention of competing this year and Jerry is very clearly trying to recoup his losses from last year.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Getz is simply acquiring a bunch of cheap placeholders and forcing prospects to earn their spots.  Obviously there is no intention of competing this year and Jerry is very clearly trying to recoup his losses from last year.

He won’t recoup his losses from the gate receipts, who’s going to pay to see this disaster of a team. TV and radio ratings will be horrible also.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

He won’t recoup his losses from the gate receipts, who’s going to pay to see this disaster of a team. TV and radio ratings will be horrible also.

Plus he needs a new TV deal. I think this screams of going at it without much help because who would throw money at his franchises?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yep at this rate we will end up at somewhere around 120m payroll even if they can't move Eloy. 

Next year it could be far lower with Eloy and Moncada both off the books and if Beni has a decent season they could unload his remaining 3 years without much trouble. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

A year from now when his repair manual comes out, everyone will be doing things the Chris Getz way. 

With all due respect please stop this nonsense.

And as far as broadcast revenue, that money is already in the bank regardless of if one fan watches or listens all year from both local and national deals. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's a great question. Every day with every one of these has been's the Sox are signing shows that JR was lying through his teeth about getting better and competing in 2024.

This team isn't going anywhere except straight down the toilet.

And add in the mlb.tv and Internet revenue and there is ZERO chance JR is losing money no matter what the payroll is as long as they don't go into luxury tax. Plus the Bulls continue to have great attendance even with a meh team, so the JR family funds are very good. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

With all due respect please stop this nonsense.

And as far as broadcast revenue, that money is already in the bank regardless of if one fan watches or listens all year from both local and national deals. 

I just happen to believe it’s not nonsense so I won’t stop, this jerk came seconds away from moving the Sox to Florida in 1988. Do you know what was discussed when he met the Mayor of Nashville last month?

• Thanks 1

I just happen to believe it’s not nonsense so I won’t stop, this jerk came seconds away from moving the Sox to Florida in 1988. Do you know what was discussed when he met the Mayor of Nashville last month?

Yes. There were reported stories that he was advocating for a Nashville franchise for Tony LaRussa and Dave Stewart.

As has been posted and reputable sources have consistently shown MLB is now a 10 billion dollar a year industry (by MLB's own admission by the way) the diverse amount of revenue streams both nationally and internationally show MLB is making money hand over fist. That includes JR.

Feel free to continue to worry about conspiracy theories if you wish, that is your choice. Personally I'm not losing any sleep over the possibility.

Keep in mind as well, MLB can get FAR MORE money from a potential fee for an expansion team from an individual or group or corporation than they would by moving the Sox. With MLB remember the first rule is "follow the money..." Second rule is, "money talks, BS walks..."

And regarding the possible move to Florida, it was on the table, but as JR himself has admitted and so has former Governor Jim Thompson, the threat was more to get the city and state to get off their asses and give him what he (JR) wanted. Supposedly JR had no real intention to move (although I don't know if he has ever publicly admitted the last part).

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

And add in the mlb.tv and Internet revenue and there is ZERO chance JR is losing money no matter what the payroll is as long as they don't go into luxury tax. Plus the Bulls continue to have great attendance even with a meh team, so the JR family funds are very good. 

Correct.

10 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

This team is going to suck, especially when you spell out all of the 26th men like that. But I'd rather be fun-bad than boring-bad, so I like this move.

People getting upset about this, do you want to see us lose 100 games with Gavin Sheets falling over his own get in RF? Or would you rather see us lose 100 games with someone who can catch the ball and have a fun personality worth watching?

Because we're losing 100 games - it's just a matter of whether you want to be miserable all season or not.

Great point. I'm also thinking losing 1-4 is faster than losing games 1-8 (assuming we can score a run.):cheers

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Yes. There were reported stories that he was advocating for a Nashville franchise for Tony LaRussa and Dave Stewart.

As has been posted and reputable sources have consistently shown MLB is now a 10 billion dollar a year industry (by MLB's own admission by the way) the diverse amount of revenue streams both nationally and internationally show MLB is making money hand over fist. That includes JR.

Feel free to continue to worry about conspiracy theories if you wish, that is your choice. Personally I'm not losing any sleep over the possibility.

Keep in mind as well, MLB can get FAR MORE money from a potential fee for an expansion team from an individual or group or corporation than they would by moving the Sox. With MLB remember the first rule is "follow the money..." Second rule is, "money talks, BS walks..."

And regarding the possible move to Florida, it was on the table, but as JR himself has admitted and so has former Governor Jim Thompson, the threat was more to get the city and state to get off their asses and give him what he (JR) wanted. Supposedly JR had no real intention to move (although I don't know if he has ever publicly admitted the last part).

And JR will never admit it as long as there is a chance he could play that card again. 

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Cable penetration is down significantly in the Chicago market.

Yep, keep all games off of WGN and watch interest in your product and attendance to continue to erode short and long term. Cord cutters within a large Chicago radius + Iowa, most of Indiana and a good chunk of Wisconsin's can't pay MLB.com to watch games White Sox games because blackouts. How dumb is that?

Jerry turned Chicago from a 50/50 split to a 67/33 Cubs advantage. Needs to go. in the interim, the commissioner needs an edict to all 30 teams that all new local television contracts including JerryVision to provide fans the option to pay for streaming. Could include an extra fee for local games, but it is completely asinine to lockout out ever growing numbers of fans from your product.

My brother lives in Vegas and has six teams blacked out. WTF.

mlb-blackout-map-embed-031020_nbquebelwu

54 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yep, keep all games off of WGN and watch interest in your product and attendance to continue to erode short and long term. Cord cutters within a large Chicago radius + Iowa, most of Indiana and a good chunk of Wisconsin's can't pay MLB.com to watch games White Sox games because blackouts. How dumb is that?

Jerry turned Chicago from a 50/50 split to a 67/33 Cubs advantage. Needs to go. in the interim, the commissioner needs an edict to all 30 teams that all new local television contracts including JerryVision to provide fans the option to pay for streaming. Could include an extra fee for local games, but it is completely asinine to lockout out ever growing numbers of fans from your product.

My brother lives in Vegas and has six teams blacked out. WTF.

mlb-blackout-map-embed-031020_nbquebelwu

It’d be funny if it included Canada because the entire country would be one solid colour 

edit: Nevermind, looked it up. Blue Jays blacked out the whole country, but so are Mariners, Red Sox, Twins in some areas.

Edited by Pale Sox

On 1/4/2024 at 8:59 AM, SoxAce said:

Getz bringing as many all glove, no bat guys as he can find.

Bill Veeck would be collecting bats not gloves. 

On 1/4/2024 at 9:26 AM, Timmy U said:

I don’t hate it, but I hate it.  Individually, he’d be a fine 26th man, but as part of a giant collection of 26th men (Lopez, DeJong, Stassi, Tim Hill, Flexen, etc.) it makes me sick to my stomach. Former Royal does not help.  I just pray to God this isn’t a defensive replacement cuz they’re committing to Sheets in right.

Sheets and his minus 1.5 WAR. 

As I look at these dreadful signings, the one thing that keeps playing in my head is Jerry justifying the Getz hire as being the fastest path back to relevancy.  

Fedde, Flexen, Stassi…we have a literal “FFS” class of additions that give us a look into what Jerry considers “relevancy.”