Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

12th street to 35th street is 23 blocks, there are 8 blocks to a mile in Chicago so it’s not quite 3 miles. 

Roosevelt to Cermak is one mile, despite the address numbers. Its a little over 2.5 miles.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Northside it 8 blocks a mile. I think some Southside is 10 per mile.

Between Madison and 31st, the address numbers don't align with the distance. Madison to Roosevelt is a mile, Roosevelt to Cermak, Cermak to 31st. All of the main streets on the Southside south of 31st line up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

BTW Gov. Pritzker has already stated state funds for a stadium isn't going to happen.

Is there a link or something to his comments? I'd be interested in reading them. 

19 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Is there a link or something to his comments? I'd be interested in reading them. 

This was from last year.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2023/02/17/billionaire-jb-pritzker-benefited-from-tax-breaks-but-he-doesnt-think-the-chicago-bears-should/?sh=1bd63c8039c4

As of now, Pritzker, a Democrat, appears lukewarm to the idea. “I love the Bears,” he said, “but it’s a private business, and I honestly don’t think the public has an obligation to fund, in this major way, a private business.”

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

Pritzker also commented on this new rumored Sox ballpark this morning.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-politics/pritzker-weighs-in-on-idea-of-state-subsidies-for-possible-white-sox-south-loop-ballpark/3331403/?amp=1

Pritzker was asked about potential state subsidies for the White Sox during a press event on Thursday morning.

“Nobody’s made an ask yet. Having said that, I think you know my views on privately owned teams, and whether the public should be paying for private facilities that will be used for private business,” he said. “Having said that, there are things that government does to support business all across the state, investing in infrastructure and ensuring the success of business in Illinois,” he added.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They were putting up tents for immigrants on a polluted lot. Why not a ballpark?

The tent cities do not need all of the EPA approvals because they aren't disposing of the ground waste into a landfill. 

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hold strong on that, JB

I don't think it really matters. JRhas shown he will finance a stadium when he is forced to and when it makes economic sense. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

They were putting up tents for immigrants on a polluted lot. Why not a ballpark?

Well neither of them are particularly good, but there are far more issues if you dig up the land to build something than if you let it sit there. Contaminants in the ground will be disturbed by construction, running pipes through the ground - pipes are never fully sealed, so you will be mobilizing them when water leaks in or out. During construction you kick up dust and if the dust is contaminated that's bad for the surroundings.

It isn't insurmountable, but it does add costs during the development and construction phase. Frankly, it isn't unreasonable for the city and state to bear some of those costs, since they are a legacy of previous industries and they will be a barrier to turning this ground into taxable businesses long-term.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well neither of them are particularly good, but there are far more issues if you dig up the land to build something than if you let it sit there. Contaminants in the ground will be disturbed by construction, running pipes through the ground - pipes are never fully sealed, so you will be mobilizing them when water leaks in or out. During construction you kick up dust and if the dust is contaminated that's bad for the surroundings.

It isn't insurmountable, but it does add costs during the development and construction phase. Frankly, it isn't unreasonable for the city and state to bear some of those costs, since they are a legacy of previous industries and they will be a barrier to turning this ground into taxable businesses long-term.

The largest cost is the specialized landfill permits needed to dump the contaminated soil. 

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:
1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Northside it 8 blocks a mile. I think some Southside is 10 per mile.

Roosevelt to Cermak is one mile, despite the address numbers. Its a little over 2.5 miles.

Madison to Roosevelt is 12 blocks to the mile. Roosevelt to Cermak is 10 blocks to a mile. Cermak to 31st is 9 blocks to a mile. Everywhere else, both north and south is 8 blocks to a mile.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It looks very strange jutting up so closely to some high-rise buildings.

JR will want those tenants to cover their windows during games so they don't get to watch for free! 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4