Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Funny that if I’m headed back to my neighborhood from downtown in the late afternoon before a Sox game I go out of my way to avoid the Red Line because it’s always jammed with Sox fans, gasp, taking public transit to a Sox game. Funny how evidence works. 

Clearly they must be heading there to tailgate with their suburban friends.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Evidence is not opinion based on limited personal observation. Evidence could be statistics about how many fans drive to games versus how many take mass transit and of course, how many, especially suburban families with children, would refuse to take mass transit through the city for security reasons because of gun violence and other crime.

Of course some people will always rely on mass transit but the reality is that any new stadium must have parking that accommodates thousands of automobiles for suburban Sox fans.  GRF has that.

11 hours ago, soxfan18 said:

Ah yes, the mysterious book that came out. 🙄

Look at The Battery in Atlanta, Ballpark Village in STL, Xfinity Live in Philly...are those districts not successful? 

https://econreview.berkeley.edu/the-economics-of-sports-stadiums-does-public-financing-of-sports-stadiums-create-local-economic-growth-or-just-help-billionaires-improve-their-profit-margin/

Studies seem to show that there is short term economic impact but the taxpayers usually always lose in the long term. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tray said:

Evidence is not opinion based on limited personal observation. Evidence could be statistics about how many fans drive to games versus how many take mass transit and of course, how many, especially suburban families with children, would refuse to take mass transit through the city for security reasons because of gun violence and other crime.

Of course some people will always rely on mass transit but the reality is that any new stadium must have parking that accommodates thousands of automobiles for suburban Sox fans.  GRF has that.

There isn't going to be a ton of space for parking at the 78 site. The 78 site is not in a good location to accomodate heavy automobile traffic. The location is pretty darn close to Soldier Field actually. Getting to Soldier Field on game day sucks. 

Tailgating in a sea of parking lots isn't going to happen at the 78 location most likely. It will be very interesting to see what happens here if the stadium actually gets built. 

7 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

There isn't going to be a ton of space for parking at the 78 site. The 78 site is not in a good location to accomodate heavy automobile traffic. The location is pretty darn close to Soldier Field actually. Getting to Soldier Field on game day sucks. 

Tailgating in a sea of parking lots isn't going to happen at the 78 location most likely. It will be very interesting to see what happens here if the stadium actually gets built. 

If the trains go to the area as people say, it will make travel from the south burbs easy. Soldier field is really easy from the south as the Metra drops you off right at the stadium. 

Edited by ptatc

1 hour ago, tray said:

If only there was another professional franchise located within the same metro area to which we could run a comparison to see if people from the same population would be willing to use public transit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If the trains go to the area as people say, it will make travel from the south burbs easy. Soldier field is really easy from the south as the Metra drops you off right at the stadium. 

The closest Metra station to the 78 location is almost a mile away. I suspect they will try to put a Metra stop closer to the stadium if it actually gets built. 

The location is great if you are using CTA though. The new location will require a total reframing of how many commute to a White Sox game, especially many suburban families with young kids. 

11 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The closest Metra station to the 78 location is almost a mile away. I suspect they will try to put a Metra stop closer to the stadium if it actually gets built. 

The location is great if you are using CTA though. The new location will require a total reframing of how many commute to a White Sox game, especially many suburban families with young kids. 

They would probably build a metra stop closer. One could also take the metra to a stop that is close to a CTA stop and then take that to the park. 

18 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Why was Jerry able to do this, and not Kevin Warren? This question is not being asked, but for Bears fans, inquiring minds want to know. This has the potential to upend the new Bears Chief

It's interesting to me that I haven't seen The 78 being presented as an option for the new Bears stadium at all. I wonder if both sides are just being mutually respectful of each other's land interests.

18 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

You know what kids like more then baseball.  Trains.

5 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

It's interesting to me that I haven't seen The 78 being presented as an option for the new Bears stadium at all. I wonder if both sides are just being mutually respectful of each other's land interests.

I don't think it is big enough for an 80K+ seat dome.  

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If only there was another professional franchise located within the same metro area to which we could run a comparison to see if people from the same population would be willing to use public transit...

A major reason I have always preferred the Sox to the Cubs is the fact that Wrigley Field is a pain in the ass to get to.  Different people have different preferences.

Just now, ThirdGen said:

A major reason I have always preferred the Sox to the Cubs is the fact that Wrigley Field is a pain in the ass to get to.  Different people have different preferences.

That is true, but it also means that other may go who never went before because of transit options and location.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

That is true, but it also means that other may go who never went before because of transit options and location.

I watched a roundtable discussion with the Reinsdorfs and the Wirtzs a few years ago when the UC turned 25. The UC has 6000 parking spots. The one thing they said is fewer people are driving to games than ever before. A ton take Ubers, which I believe would be a very popular choice for people working or taking a train downtown if the Sox moved to the 78.

30 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This is a valid question, but it is probably worth thinking that a modern domed football stadium has a much larger footprint than a modern baseball stadium. Google Maps estimates this area to be about 1000 feet across - wide enough for a baseball stadium but it's gonna get sorta packed when you start putting stuff in alongside. Soldier Field itself would fit in here, but it would be tight along the edges, and a modern football stadium is something that typically spreads out as you add more seats. They also host larger crowds, but much more infrequently, which makes the match for land in the middle of the city more difficult - larger parking demands, but stuff that sits unused most of the time.

A good, domed, modern football stadium that sits in the suburbs but on a highway and with some transit access is much more sensible than a football stadium in a spot like this. A baseball stadium brings in way more people total and will drive way more local business to the area.

• Thanks 1

I haven't delved into it, but these plans would likely include at least 1 parking garage, right? I wonder if any civil/structural engineers here can chime in with an estimate on the maximum capacity of a parking garage if built near the stadium.

Edited by ron883

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I haven't delved into it, but these plans would likely include at least 1 parking garage, right? I wonder if any civil/structural engineers here can chime in with an estimate on the maximum capacity of a parking garage if built near the stadium.

I'd have to imagine some amount of parking would be built at this site but would probably be in coordination with whatever else is being built. 

Digging a deeper hole for a parking garage might actually find you some of the fill you need for the stadium foundation, but you'd have to make sure you had watertight walls. You could then potentially throw a hotel or apartments on top of that.

17 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

How far of a walk is Clark from State St? (There is a major L hub at Roosevelt/State) 

One city block.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 11.48.22 AM.jpg

3 L lines stop at Roosevelt & State, there are multiple busses on Roosevelt, Clark, State, and Michigan that all stop near by. The 78 plans also call for a new Red Line stop to be constructed at the south end of the development near 15th & Clark, 3 blocks south of Roosevelt. Whether that actually happens is another story, but there already numerous transit options, with two major Metra hubs within a mile or so. 

Edited by Tnetennba

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Southsiders simply aren’t tough enough to endure public transportation like those badass Cubs fans!

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

I would call living in the neighborhood for 12 years a large enough sample size. I live here every single day, half a mile from the ballpark. How many games do you actually commute to?

You're dead fucking wrong, have been repeatedly proven wrong,  yet continue to dig a deeper hole. Good luck there champ, but with every single post you prove that you have less of a grasp of Chicago White Sox fan behavior than you've repeatedly stated in your many many inaccurate statements.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Right but someone earlier said the rock island goes right through the land. This would also be very easy from the south burbs. 

• Like 1