Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

Found the 1991 renderings on the same site as the Addison stadium renderings. They are pretty consistent, but wonder how far along construction was the time these were produced, or if they were released before construction began.

https://www.stadiumpage.com/future/Comiskey_G.html

Here is an interesting article and past rendering of the two previous attempts to move the White Sox to the South Loop.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2012/11/9/3619970/south-loop-sox

• 1964 - Mayor Richard J. Daley formed a commission to build a $49 million South Loop sports complex:
    • Located between Clark Street (West), State Street (East), Polk Street (North) & 15th Street (South).
    • Baseball Stadium Stadium to host the Sox and Cubs
    • Football Stadium A second stadium called Halas Field for Football and possibly Soccer
    • Winter Sports Arena For the Hawks and Bulls to share.
  • 1986 - Mayor Harold Washington Jr. preposed a shared Baseball / Football Stadium at Clark and Roosevelt discussed previously.

1 hour ago, Lightly Folded said:

I think the bottom line is that Bridgeport is just far away from where all the action is in this city. Plus who’s going to trek down there or up there and frequent a “restaurant/bar zone” during the off season or while they’re on the road and the tax revenue would suck compared to the 78 site.

For the city, the other big part of this is that if this isn’t done, there’s a good chance this site is undeveloped 50 years from now. It’s already sat there for 60, and small projects won’t raise enough money to justify redeveloping it.

On the other hand. The land in Bridgeport could be turned back into low to moderate density development or even turned into a new big project at lower cost.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

GRF capacity is what now? 39K? Kinda small for a NFL stadium don't ya think? I guess more seats can be added

Clearly if this were used for the Bears they would rip out the current park and build a new dome. Having the parking lots there,, existing water, sewer, power infrastructure, highway and rail access already could be a way to limit the new stadium costs.

But unlike Arlington there’s probably no chance for associated real estate development in the area, so maybe lower costs but way lower chances to develop a district around the stadium.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

For the city, the other big part of this is that if this isn’t done, there’s a good chance this site is undeveloped 50 years from now. It’s already sat there for 60, and small projects won’t raise enough money to justify redeveloping it.

On the other hand. The land in Bridgeport could be turned back into low to moderate density development or even turned into a new big project at lower cost.

Ok….. I just don’t see people hanging out there when there is no ballgame. People on either side of the Dan Ryan around Sox park don’t have the disposable incomes that other areas do. I think this area where Sox park not sits along with its parking lots is destined to become a residential area.

Those truly are amazing drawings. I must confess once you got to the game you'd be in heaven. Any room for condos/apartments, etc., there? Of course "most" Sox fans who can afford tickets will not be taking public transportation They'll want to park their car near the park. If they can't and the Sox are worth watching, it'll be big screen TV at home. In this day and age, nobody's going to hop on public transportation after a game late at night, Not worth the hassle.

• TLR 1

4 hours ago, fathom said:

The whining about parking on Twitter is ridiculous

I think it’s a legitimate thing to consider. I drive in for games currently (about 45 min to 1 hr) and I’ve definitely thought about what I’d do. I go to games with my father who requires handicap parking because he has trouble walking with diabetes and his heart, but is not immobile. I’m not entirely sure how I’d get him there if the only options are public transit. I’m not gonna sit there and cry about it, but it certainly makes it tougher.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

That's some Tori Spelling right there.

OG:

Correct Photo in the NBC Report. Not sure if the WGN photo was accurate or photoshopped, or the photo had the wrong spelling at first and the clown developers sent media a correction.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/renderings-for-potential-white-sox-stadium-in-the-78-reimagined-35th-street-released/3350195/

The-78-Featuring-the-White-Sox-Ballpark-

Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Those truly are amazing drawings. I must confess once you got to the game you'd be in heaven. Any room for condos/apartments, etc., there? Of course "most" Sox fans who can afford tickets will not be taking public transportation They'll want to park their car near the park. If they can't and the Sox are worth watching, it'll be big screen TV at home. In this day and age, nobody's going to hop on public transportation after a game late at night, Not worth the hassle.

It's definitely worth the hassle vs. driving to the park, finding parking, and dealing with traffic leaving after the game.  The new stadium would be literally right next to the Rock Island Metra tracks, and it wouldn't surprise me if they add a stop right at (or very close to) the stadium.  They could add later departures on game nights, too.

If this stadium is built, the Sox and the city will do something to help with parking and/or public transportation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That's some Tori Spelling right there.

OG:

Correct Photo in the NBC Report. Not sure if the WGN photo was accurate or photoshopped, or the photo had the wrong spelling at first and the clown developers sent media a correction.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/renderings-for-potential-white-sox-stadium-in-the-78-reimagined-35th-street-released/3350195/

The-78-Featuring-the-White-Sox-Ballpark-

This just in:  Tori Spelling will not be involved with the funding or copy writing side of things.

Edited by caulfield12

One of the reasons why I'm a season ticket holder is because of the parking at the present stadium. I buy a season ticket parking package  and it comes out to $18.00 a game  for parking. Getting in and out of the parking lot is very easy. It has to be one of the best parking situations in MLB. I would assume and hope that  parking lots will be built at the new stadium.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I must admit I’m enjoying the taste of Josh Nelson’s tears…dude is literally shook by the lack of parking.

Anyone else remember after the ballpark shooting when he was tweeting the name of the poor accountant that set up the LLC associated with ballpark security because he was listed as agent on the Secretary of State website?  After implying that guy bore responsibility for security, he had to backtrack once someone told him that being listed as agent of an LLC doesn't mean what he thought.

He's constantly jumping the gun and pretending to be an expert in things he knows nothing about.  

There is no way these professionals and the city have gotten this far and just forgot to account for parking or traffic.  A few cool renderings with no further context don't tell the whole story.  Will parking ultimately be adequate?  Who knows... but any freakout is premature. 

• Like 3