Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

50 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So let me ask you, if you had 1 payment left on your mortgage, and decided you would get another 30 year mortgage  as soon as you made that payment, you wouldn't consider that new?

If they want to extend the hotel tax, by all means do, but redirect the funds to something else. I live in the Gold Coast. My next door neighbor got mugged walking her dog Saturday night at 9 pm. I'd like more cops.

If I had a lease on a car that was ending, and I took out another lease on a new car for similar money, would I consider that a new expense? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

The walls have ears and organizations have rats. Paid rats.

So the Cubs are paying people to spy on the White Sox dealings? This is what you're suggesting? 

The baseball team every media outlet fawns over is paying for dirt on the other team that most of their sycophants couldn't give two shits about?

Sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

So the Cubs are paying people to spy on the White Sox dealings? This is what you're suggesting? 

The baseball team every media outlet fawns over is paying for dirt on the other team that most of their sycophants couldn't give two shits about?

Sure.

Yep. The majority always fears the minority. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

So let me ask you, if you had 1 payment left on your mortgage, and decided you would get another 30 year mortgage  as soon as you made that payment, you wouldn't consider that new?

If they want to extend the hotel tax, by all means do, but redirect the funds to something else. I live in the Gold Coast. My next door neighbor got mugged walking her dog Saturday night at 9 pm. I'd like more cops.

A sports team theoretically drives hotel stays so there is some basic logic for the tax in the first place.  In this proposed location, it will be an ever greater draw for tourists and the logic could still hold.  That being said, the city should be funding more police officers regardless of this decision.

51 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If you upgraded, like JR is doing , yes. JR doesn't NEED a new park. 

The reason doesn't matter. With that stated, it's a new debt, and by account, a new expense. With that stated, it slots into the budget the same.

In the end, I do wonder, if JR doesn't get his stadium, does it hasten the sale of the team? If so, while the stadium looks great and I love the land around it, I think I would vote for shooting it down. That's how bad he's been as an owner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Any idea on the name of the new stadium? State of Illinois Field? SIF for short?

Seems like a good thread idea ripe for cynical ideas. Wrong answers only.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm a professional troll hunter. Sorry, it's my job. 

Wut?  I have not mentioned you or attacked anyone personally., yet  you come out of left field with a personal accusation, wishing me ill..over what?  All I have done is to elevate the conversation with facts about the history of the subject land, the attempted and failed developments there, environmental, excavation and construction issues unique to that site, ingress/egress/parking issues, the nondescript design proposed and further, to be positive, the value of staying on 35th street for the South side fan base and the neighborhood where the Sox have been for over 100 years. You call that trolling? I also suggested some ideas for a new stadium across 35th Street.

There are proponents for the developer of that site. A search on You Tube for 78 developments will reveal how that site has been pushed for years ending up in one failure after another.

Not all posters who oppose 1 Billion dollars in State money to subsidize this plan are trolls either. The State is still burdened with paying pensions that it can no longer afford but cannot avoid because State law prohibits them from declaring Bankruptcy to restructure that debt.  Governor Pritzker is against this so I doubt this is going anywhere unless he. the Mayor and other legislators change their mind.  The Governor and Mayor are trying to be fiscally responsible. Nothing wrong with that....or with staying on 35th street.  Let it go.

• Fire 1

Former Governor Pat Quinn has come out against any public funding for the new ballpark at the 78. I think they should revoke his White Sox Fan card....not because of his stance but because he said he is a long time friend of Uncle Jerry.

11 minutes ago, tray said:

Wut?  I have not mentioned you or attacked anyone personally., yet  you come out of left field with a personal accusation, wishing me ill..over what?  All I have done is to elevate the conversation with facts about the history of the subject land, the attempted and failed developments there, environmental, excavation and construction issues unique to that site, ingress/egress/parking issues, the nondescript design proposed and further, to be positive, the value of staying on 35th street for the South side fan base and the neighborhood where the Sox have been for over 100 years. You call that trolling? I also suggested some ideas for a new stadium across 35th Street.

There are proponents for the developer of that site. A search on You Tube for 78 developments will reveal how that site has been pushed for years ending up in one failure after another.

Not all posters who oppose 1 Billion dollars in State money to subsidize this plan are trolls either. The State is still burdened with paying pensions that it can no longer afford but cannot avoid because State law prohibits them from declaring Bankruptcy to restructure that debt.  Governor Pritzker is against this so I doubt this is going anywhere unless he. the Mayor and other legislators change their mind.  The Governor and Mayor are trying to be fiscally responsible. Nothing wrong with that....or with staying on 35th street.  Let it go.

image.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A sports team theoretically drives hotel stays so there is some basic logic for the tax in the first place.  In this proposed location, it will be an ever greater draw for tourists and the logic could still hold.  That being said, the city should be funding more police officers regardless of this decision.

and I get that, but somehow, as nice as it looks, its the White Sox and I don't think it will be a destination place nationally. Really, the only destination MLB parks are Wrigley and Fenway. I'd love for JR to build it. It's also predicated on its being built will spur the other development where companies would actually have to pay. Do you really think this park will get the others built? And if so, what kind of timeline? There are so many stalled projects. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

and I get that, but somehow, as nice as it looks, its the White Sox and I don't think it will be a destination place nationally. Really, the only destination MLB parks are Wrigley and Fenway. I'd love for JR to build it. It's also predicated on its being built will spur the other development where companies would actually have to pay. Do you really think this park will get the others built? And if so, what kind of timeline? There are so many stalled projects. 

I don't buy this at all. I've done my fair share and have numerous others I'd like to do. Yankee Stadium I haven't done, Pittsburgh is excellent and worth a trip to, I'd like to get Cincinnati, St. Louis, Baltimore, San Francisco is at the top of my list for a game, I've hung out in that area repeatedly on days when there are no games. Dodgers Stadium is a fun experience since it's so huge. Most of the excitement at Minute Maid was due to this weird banging coming from the home team dugout, I wonder if they ever figured out what that was, Danny seemed bothered by it.

52 minutes ago, wegner said:

Former Governor Pat Quinn has come out against any public funding for the new ballpark at the 78. I think they should revoke his White Sox Fan card....not because of his stance but because he said he is a long time friend of Uncle Jerry.

And Pat Quinn should come out as opposed to any Bears public funding of any kind now or in the future. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I moved back to Chicago in August of 2022 after three years in Nashville and had heard that the city was literally dying from the inside out.  As a lifelong Chicagoan prior to this, it pained me to hear that not only were people leaving the city in droves for all sorts of reasons, but that Chicago was no longer a tentpole city that all Americans should visit.  We took the kids down to the city for the summer and stayed in a hotel in the thick of things and I was shocked by the amount of tourists in the area hitting up all the major sites.  There is no doubt in my mind that if this stadium gets built, it will be a hotspot for tourists who fly in for a long weekend and want to see all the things near the loop.  The location is literally a short cab ride away from where people will be staying and/or visiting.  I honestly think tourists and casual fans will eat up the experience if done right.

I also went to San Diego last year for spring break and hit up their stadium and it has a very similar feel to this proposal.  And I was literally blown away about how it’s just part of the city and how the little plaza outside of it was actually a cool way to partake in the game without even being in the park.  It was just such a different experience from the Rate or any other stadium that’s in the field of parking lots and I say that as someone who grew tailgating in lots A, B, & C.  To me, this is a no doubt game changer for the franchise and while there will be some Sox fans impacted by the location (including myself), I think the greater revenue profile that comes with it will be worth those sacrifices.

I also hate Jerry Reinsdorf more than just about anyone, but if he can truly pull this off without any new state money (and carrying forward the existing hotel tax would be ok with me with certain caveats) then I don’t care that that he “wins” again per se.  I just want championship level baseball on the south side before my elderly parents leave this world and my 10 & 7 year sons become actual adults who have experienced nothing but losing.  This franchise hit a new low point in terms of hope, but this new stadium along with a new ownership group (which a new stadium could help accelerate) would almost certainly transform the franchise and hopefully allow us to finally become a best in class, major market franchise.  That’s more important to me than Jerry’s kids inheriting a couple hundred million more upon his death.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

On the SCORE this morning Bruce Levine detailed this exceptionally well for David Haugh (as with Leila yesterday) who could not get past equating a $100M contract to this project....this while he bemoans the cubs not spending $100M+ on Bellinger.

What is interesting and I cannot see anything legitimate as it's behind a pay wall is if Reinsdorf assumes this risk based on the franchises equity, he  is more inclined to sell the team.  Value of the team goes up to $3 to $4B with this deal and he's left with a $1B+ debt that the new owner purchases.

Tax hit goes up as well but in the end the profit goes up.  HIs heirs can clear a $1B even after his death, thus reducing the double tax hit. 

Then there is the land he owns by the current GR.  What becomes of that?  I think that is what the city and state want.

I will say this, he is making Kevin Warren look really bad right now if he pulls this off. 

1. The ISFA, not Jerry, owns all the adjacent land around the stadium.
  2. Jerry isn't selling until he is dead. The only way it's sold when he's alive if he becomes incapacitated and his family takes over his business affairs. Even in that scenario, they would structure it like the Orioles did with Peter Angelos' sale; a minority share now and the rest upon death to minimize the tax impact.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

There was a report that to stay in Chicago they wanted the money from the hotel tax. The reason this is all happening now is that the hotel tax or the issuance of new bonds for it needs to be completed by the end of this year otherwise it's eliminated when GRF is paid.

One of the radio stations reported it.

They want the money from the hotel tax to help pay for the stadium. If they’re saying otherwise they are lying….through their teeth. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

And Pat Quinn should come out as opposed to any Bears public funding of any kind now or in the future. 

I believe he has as well....but no word on if he ever dated a McCaskey.

32 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

They want the money from the hotel tax to help pay for the stadium. If they’re saying otherwise they are lying….through their teeth. 

They both do,that's the issue. They are competing to get it by the deadline at the end of the year .