Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

How many “I’m done with the Sox” comments do we need from them?  Holmes is the worst of the bunch now.  Can he go to Detroit with Benetti?

They need to reframe their perspective from wanting to watch a competitive team to watching a comedic team.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm about as checked out as I have ever been. But I'll be tuning in on Opening Day,

Same. I'll probably catch a game here and there when I'm not working(I work evenings) but for the most part the Sox are not a priority and I will definitely not be catching 100+ games like I usually do. 

• Paper Bag 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm about as checked out as I have ever been. But I'll be tuning in on Opening Day,

It’s like the first few rebuilding years, where I will hope certain players do well but the losses stacking up won’t bug me.   If Cease pitches great and they lose, oh well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s like the first few rebuilding years, where I will hope certain players do well but the losses stacking up won’t bug me.   If Cease pitches great and they lose, oh well.

It's ok to take that approach when you actually have hope, but there's not a lot of hope for this team for 3 years at least. 

The farm is just ok and they can't pick higher than 11th. 

They better be listening on Robert in July. 

Edited by baseball_gal_aly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

It's ok to take that approach when you actually have hope, but there's not a lot of hope for this team for 3 years at least. 

Well, biggest thing I’m hoping for this year is announcement of a new stadium.  That would be the best outcome for anything that could happen this year.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

Well, biggest thing I’m hoping for this year is announcement of a new stadium.  That would be the best outcome for anything that could happen this year.

Get a winning team first. Then we'll talk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah, how about building a team before talking about building another ballpark.

Well there's been exactly one championship in each home ballpark since they moved to town from St. Paul in 1900, so we're about due for a new ballpark before we can win one again.

It's just math.

• Paper Bag 1

3 hours ago, WBWSF said:

This South Loop stadium talk has died down in the media. I wonder whats going on behind the scene.

There's really nothing new to report at this point.  Once Jerry and Related Midwest submit a proposal with specifics to the legislature, like some state reps are asking for, then maybe we'll hear something.  Even then, it'll take a while for both sides to hash things out to the point where there's an actual proposal for lawmakers to consider.   So, I don't expect to hear that much new anytime soon.

I doubt that'll be this spring legislative session even if Jerry wants a new park built by 2028.  He's totally dreaming about that.  I know the Sox lease is up in 2029, but I have no doubt that if a deal for a new park is reached and it won't be ready for 2029, that they can extend the GRF lease for a couple of years if needed.  

Edited by 77 Hitmen

On 3/1/2024 at 1:52 PM, fathom said:

How many “I’m done with the Sox” comments do we need from them?  Holmes is the worst of the bunch now.  Can he go to Detroit with Benetti?

They're completely warranted. Jerry runs a joke organization.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

On 3/1/2024 at 1:52 PM, fathom said:

I would gladly pick him up and drive to the airport, AMF.

On 3/1/2024 at 2:16 PM, Dick Allen said:

That will not happen.

Yeah. It won’t happen and another thing that will never happen is the state and Reinsdorf reaching a negotiated agreement on extending the stadium/property deal after it expires in 2029. With no new stadium deal the state can tell Jerry “this is our offer, take it, or go f*** yourself”. Jerry would then tell the state to “go double f*** yourself” and then the state would sell the property to a developer who will bulldoze the stadium and build a residential community. The white Sox would be “the team without a home” until they find one, or one finds them. 

On 3/1/2024 at 2:06 PM, fathom said:

Yep, young players and an eventual Cease (and others) trade will be the highlights of the season.

On 3/1/2024 at 2:11 PM, baseball_gal_aly said:

They better be listening on Robert in July. 

Unless the White Sox don't think they'll be good in the next 5 years, they have no business trading Luis.

You're going to trade Robert in hopes of what? Finding a player like Robert in return?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Unless the White Sox don't think they'll be good in the next 5 years, they have no business trading Luis.

You're going to trade Robert in hopes of what? Finding a player like Robert in return?

Multiple good players.  Robert isn’t enough to do anything for this team.  They aren’t good enough elsewhere, and only have less than a handful of position prospects expected to be worth a damn.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We have four years of control left with Robert.  If we won’t be competitive until 2026 at the earliest, then you have to seriously consider it.  But yeah, if we could find a Robert like talent in return who is controllable from 2026 to 2031 that would be a massive for us.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 8:39 AM, Lightly Folded said:

Yeah. It won’t happen and another thing that will never happen is the state and Reinsdorf reaching a negotiated agreement on extending the stadium/property deal after it expires in 2029. With no new stadium deal the state can tell Jerry “this is our offer, take it, or go f*** yourself”. Jerry would then tell the state to “go double f*** yourself” and then the state would sell the property to a developer who will bulldoze the stadium and build a residential community. The white Sox would be “the team without a home” until they find one, or one finds them. 

There is no way the state is going to negotiate a new lease at GRF with Reinsdorf like that.  They're certainly not going to issue some sort of "go f*** yourself" ultimatum as their opening and final offer to him since they'd much rather have the Sox remain as a tenant at GRF instead of having the park abandoned and bulldozed.  Unlike some Sox fans, ISFA is not just itching to have the Sox move out of town.  

Also, JR isn't stupid enough to let the Sox be a team without a home.  He didn't become a billionaire by negotiating in such a juvenile way.  He's cold-blooded, but not a moron.

Edited by 77 Hitmen
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, 77 Hitmen said:

There is no way the state is going to negotiate a new lease at GRF with Reinsdorf like that.  They're certainly not going to issue some sort of "go f*** yourself" ultimatum as their opening and final offer to him since they'd much rather have the Sox remain as a tenant at GRF instead of having the park abandoned and bulldozed.  Unlike some Sox fans, ISFA is not just itching to have the Sox move out of town.  

Also, JR isn't stupid enough to let the Sox be a team without a home.  He didn't become a billionaire by negotiating in such a juvenile way.  He's cold-blooded, but not a moron.

The hotel tax thing isn’t going to be extended to help the Sox. If it were extended it would be to help the bears. My bet is that the hotel tax won’t be extended. Helping a billionaire by using or extending a tax is political suicide. Do you believe Reinsdorf is going to accept anything less than what he already has? 

4 hours ago, 77 Hitmen said:

JR already threw his son under the bus. He's not going to move the team, but when his son sells, the entity he once called a public trust that should be run like a charity, is available to the highest bidder even if it means they are moving.